#31 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 02:01 PM

for the last 20 years i have been a union pipefitter / welder / some times a plumber but please dont call me a plumber .

#32 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 03:07 PM

I did the normal jobs during college. Resturants, construction. Then I landed at FedEx ground as a QA Clerk. Did that for about 3 years. Then took a job as a welder. I spent 2 years being the only Certified Welder on my shift. So I always had OT and too much work load. After a knee injury and some troubles breathing. I went back into logistics. I Drove for DHL for about two years. Then as luck would have it about 8 months before DHL tanked FedEx offered me a management position. I ran FedEx Home Delivery for the Southern Oregon region for 2 years before sitting behind a desk started killing me. (Not literally). So while I worked for FedEx I started helping a friend who owned his own independent VW/Audi repair shop. He was getting up there in age, and had went into just selling parts. He wanted to open the Shop back up but needed a tech. So I resigned from FedEx and took a huge pay cut lost all benifits. But everyday I wake up get to hang out with my kids before work and really enjoy my day. I always worked on cars as a hobbie but now it is my living and GT are my hobbie.

#33 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• Member No: 1209
  • 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 04:24 PM

Currently I am involved in the manufacture and sale of machines like this
Posted Image
Posted Image
100 ton and 60 ton splitter respectively. The blade on the 100 ton splitter is 7' tall.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also run a groundscare buisness, with 3 tractors, compacts to larger machines. The view from the office is often like this (well actually its usually dark because some places have to be mowed at night)
Posted Image
sometimes like this
Posted Image

Makes for a varied and interesting life, I enjoy it very much.

Edited by mjay, June 27, 2011 - 04:46 PM.

#34 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 04:31 PM

I started delivering the local paper at the age of 12. Also worked here and there for a second hand store helping with deliveries and cleaning used appliances (for $5 a piece LOL). I worked in a restaurant for almost my entire senior year and hated that! Out of High School I went to work for Sears as Christmas help and stayed there for about 5 years. That continued right through college and my first marriage! I also left Sears a couple of times to try different things (a window factory, auto parts store). I also worked part time in the maintenance department at the college I attended. After college I couldn't find a job in my field of study (Electronics) so I went to work for an HVAC / Appliance parts supplier where I did shipping and receiving, warehousing, shuttle truck driving, and some counter work. After that, I worked a summer for a sign company doing installations and running a boom truck. My next move was to a zinc smelter plant where I worked as a Chemical Analyst (I have a knack for the technical and sciency stuff). After 4 years and some advancement in responsibility (but not pay) I moved to my current Employer. I started there as a laborer, moved to mechanical maintenance for about 1 year and took the first bid that came up for the Electrician position which I still hold 10 years later. After about 1 year as an electrician, I was asked to join the newly formed crane maintenance department. I was even in charge of it for a time, but the company changed hands and the crane maintenance department was dissolved...but we still have cranes. I still do the same job I always did just under a different title now. So I guess the short answer is Overhead crane inspection, maintenance, and repair technician.

#35 michelle OFFLINE  

michelle

Tractorholic by Marriage

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1655
  • 331 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 08:12 PM

I am a middle school math teacher.

#36 tractorchick OFFLINE  

tractorchick

Tractorholic

• Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 284
  • 359 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 08:17 PM

I am the editor of a lawn and garden tractor magazine, editor of a vintage tractor magazine, and a mom (chef, nurse, chauffeur, tutor, maid). and a Cardinals fan, but I'm not paid for that! lol!

#37 tractorchick OFFLINE  

tractorchick

Tractorholic

• Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 284
  • 359 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 08:17 PM

this was really a neat thread to read!

#38 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 28, 2011 - 09:06 PM

Retired military, 24 years. Am now a corrections officer at a state prison in North Dakota.

#39 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Industrial Electrician/Controls Tech by trade, currently Superintendent at a fairly large granery. Grew up on a farm, took auto mech. in school. Didn't want that for the rest of my life so I worked in plant maint. Joined Navy at 23, rode submarines for 6 years. Got out of Navy, worked plant maint./electrician, went into industrial elect. contruction and service until about 2 years ago. Getting too old for 4" rigid conduit and 500mcm wire, so I took this job. A lot easier on the body, but I still do a lot of climbing to stay in shape.(round is a shape)lol

#40 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 08:12 AM

I am a civil engineer and build 3d models for Site and roadway Layout and GPS machine control systems.

#41 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 06:19 PM

After high school worked in a "Stop & Rob" and went to The University of Texas for a year. Joined the Air Force, Vietnam Vet. When I got out my dad got me into the carpenter's local but I didn't like eating sawdust. After a year of that got into the Sheet Metal Workers Local 67 apprenticeship program. After 38 1/2 years of bending tin I retired. Love it.

#42 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 11:50 AM

I am the editor of a lawn and garden tractor magazine, editor of a vintage tractor magazine, and a mom (chef, nurse, chauffeur, tutor, maid). and a Cardinals fan, but I'm not paid for that! lol!

Cardinals, as in St. Louis Cardinals? Or Louisville Cardinals?

#43 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 01:29 PM

I grow up on a dairy farm were we milked about 30 cow. Over the years we expanded to 80 head. I bought my own farm in 1971 and farmed till there till 1976. Found out I did not love the cow as I thought I did and went into trucking as an owner operator till 1988. I have been with a forklift dealership since 1988. I started as a road service tech and since moved into training, warranty administration. I also work in our service department IT and support our technicians laptops setting up new ones, upgrading software and shoeing out those little bugs, worms and trojans that sneak in. We have 80 some laptops in the company now.

#44 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 01:49 PM

Cardinals, as in St. Louis Cardinals? Or Louisville Cardinals?

I'm betting Louisville.

#45 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 01:56 PM

cardinals, as in st. Louis cardinals? Or louisville cardinals?

stl