107 replies to this topic

#16 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 11:04 AM

I started as a Biomedical equipment technician with the military. Went through a few companies doing medical/laboratory equipment repair and service, then i settled into scientific refrigeration. I have worked for a major medical university for the last 7 years as the senoir Sci. Ref. guy. I service all kinds of scientific refrigerated equipment from regular house hold units to mechanical cryogenic freezers and LN2 systems. I get to met and build relationships with some of the smartest and nicest people in the world. Everyday I get to learn something new. Its not the equipment that makes me enjoy going to work in the mornings, its my customers. I will probably endup doing 20-30 years here, as long as the people dont change.

#17 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 11:25 AM

I grew up farming, worked at a retail lumber yard for a couple of years, then a radiator plant for 9 months (enough factory work for me)! Then a farm equipment dealer (off-brand red :D). After that job died, I spent 29 years as a paid, small town firefighter. Retired in 2005 (re-tired, couldn't get this tired in one shot! :D). Now, I just do things on my own schedule, that & the doctor's! ~~ grnspot

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,462 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 11:56 AM

I grew up (like many others here) on a farm, and also working for other farmers in our area. At 14, I began helping a guy down the road, assembling farm implements for the local dealers in our county. During my junior year in high school, I decided to join the military, went with the Army National Guard. After high school I spent a year on active duty as a training NCO at Ft. Sill, OK. Got back home and started working for R.R.Donnelly & son, a large printing company. They print World Book Encyclopedia, National Geographic, Most all the school books used in the U.S., and several different brands of Bibles. I moved up in the company over the next 5 years until I just couldn't take the factory life anymore. Went to work for a multi-brand car dealership for a couple years, selling new and used cars and trucks, but was always in the shop seeing what the guys were working on. I took some courses at Purdue U. while I was at the dealership, working on my Engineering degree. In 1992, Dad started a business Engineering, rebuilding and installing mineral processing equipment. I started working for him in 1993. Since then I have had and ran our Fabrication and Machine shop, where we build and rebuild mineral processing equipment. we also have a processing plant that we make water filtration media, and also fine grind powder for use in supplemental vitamins and tooth paste. Our main mineral us process is Calcium Carbonate. Our rock is used in "PUR" water filters.

#19 pharmer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 12:48 PM

I've been with the same company for 25 years. We rebuild truck parts-transmissions, rears, and I do all the steering components. We have locations from Maine to South Jersey, and soon in Scranton PA area. We do all the rebuilding in Enfield CT.

#20 jdslednut OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 633 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 06:00 PM

I am an Agriculture Teacher and FFA Advisor for Gibbon-Fairfax-Winthrop High School. Going on my 14th year now. Had this job since graduating from the U of MN. While at the "U" I worked for the Truax company manufacturing grain and grass drills.

#21 RubiconJoey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3818
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 07:43 PM

Well I would assume I'm one of the younger guys (23) on here so it's been a little different path for me and still a long journey ahead of me....
My first job was picking cantaloupe for a family we used to go to church with before high school.
Then went to work fast food at kfc (if you really call it fast food..).
Moved on to a telemarketing job for better pay (I know everyone loves those guys).
When the telemarketing place closed I got a job at Rural king loading anything customers didn't want to pack (job title was actually loader).
Latter went to Kroger as a bag boy.
Then to a saw mill as a drill operator.
Then back to Rural King as a loader for a while
Then I moved to off to college and got a job flipping burgers on campus.
Then came back home for a while and went back to Rural King as a loader, but got promoted to shop mechanic (spent a lot of time working on small power equipment)
Moved closer to the university I'm at now trying to get my bachelors in mechanical engineering so I took a job at Walmart in the tire & lube.
Currently I am at Lord Corporation as a engineering intern.
So you could say I've done a lot of different things, but in the future I hope to land a nice job in engineering when I make it out of college....

#22 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 08:06 PM

I'm too old to be hired
... too young to be retired
... but never have been fired!!!

(I'm also the poet who didn't know it !)

Laying all jokes aside in the past 5 years i went from self-employed in a cabinatry business ... to un-employed..... and now I have some greenhouses and buy and sell stuff.... I hope to have a small machine shop set-up by winter to do small part machining both coventional and cnc.

.... but I am willing to scrap all of the above if someone would hire me !!

Edited by MF14 plowday special, June 26, 2011 - 08:16 PM.
fix stupid spelling mistake

#23 jms180 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 861 Thanks
  • 1,159 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 08:29 PM

I started working for Onan engine company as soon I finished tech. school. I worked in the maintenance dept. for 23 years until they stop building engines and closed plant at Huntsville Alabama. Worked several years at other jobs before getting a job at Toyota Tundra engine plant in Huntsville Alabama. I am now retired and living in Harvest Alabama. I love to here those old Onan engine run it brings back memories of many good years.

#24 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,342 Thanks
  • 1,456 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 09:51 PM

Well out of high school I went to work for the wifes family at their furniture/carpet business for two years,(wasn't my wife yet at the time). LOL!!! Then decided what I thought I wanted to do and went to Tech College for Heavy Equipment Maintenance and Operation. Had to quit the carpet job as it didnt work with the schedule, so I got a part time with CT Farm and Country while I was at school. Did my two years of school and then when I got out in 99 I decided due to some family concerns I didnt want to move for work and kept the job with CT. CT changed hands to Quality Farm and Country and I worked the same store till they closed in 2001. I had been offered management positions along the way there but always turned them down. Tractor Supply bought the location I worked at and I was the second guy hired back right behind the manager. That was in 2002 and I worked as managment in that store until early 2006 when I was just sick of dealing with customers and the way I saw their business headed. (Having grown up on a farm, they were on what I still see as a decline in catering to the farmer, and more to catering to the weekend warrior.) I took a job working at a small lawnmower shop till September 2006 when my current position opened up. I now drive flatbed and crane truck for a millwork/lumberyard. It isnt neccassarily the best job in the world but its way better than the 9 years I spent in the retail farm store business. I gotta say having started before the housing decline and having worked all the way thru so far without having been laid off for even a day I feel I am blessed to at least be working.

#25 dstaggs OFFLINE  

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 10:07 PM

Not being good at typing but here it goes. Grew up in country store. Then worked construction work for several years, from driving lowboys (18-20 wheelers) dozer, loader, side boom and hoes (love them hoes, backhoes). Then ran cross country for a bakery till Sept 1995 when I had the 1st wreck of my life it almost took mine. After they sewed up my nose, just some skin holding it on and left foot cut off. Two weeks later on tractor cutting hay. Also was running 100 Texas Longhorn cows and was showing 8 to 12 each year. Also got a Auctioneers degree in 1964, my past time talking fast. From cattle sales,strawberries, estate and tomatoes to junk sales. The Greatest moment of life was when my SON was born. A couple years ago started playing with GT's. From 2000 till last year helped the wife in her Market and Ho-made Fudge Shop, Yes, my job was making the Fudge. And hauling the Watermelons. I also still play with black-smithing and mule working.

Edited by dstaggs, June 26, 2011 - 10:14 PM.

#26 Mark Ohio OFFLINE  

Mark Ohio

• Member No: 2241
  • 15 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 11:05 PM

Electronic Tech (plus pretty much everything else when needed) for 25 years in a "mom and pop" privately owned TV & appliance sales and service shop.

#27 Dieseljon OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3923
  • 7 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 11:14 AM

I started out at 10 years of age working in my brothers bait shop at Pony Express lake here in Missouri. (got paid to fish for the most part)
I started working for local farmers at age 13 doing just about anything you can think of. By the time I was 15 I was spending my free time working on old worn out lime trucks for a friends dad. Learned early on I kind of had a nack for working on stuff.
When I was 17 I dropped out of skewl (yes I'm a drop out and I had to lie and say I was 18) and went to work for a survey company out of Iowa.
When I turned 18 I went to work in the local rock quarry. This was the highest paying job in the area at that time I had the world by the b*lls. After four years in the quarry I got fired. (I liked to stay out all night and chase girls and not go to work)
This lead to a long road of crappy jobs for low pay. Drove a truck for a while, worked in several factories, mechanic here and there not to mention many more really bad jobs.
Then in 97 I landed a job as a diesel tech for a large trucking company. This lasted a few years till I got a better offer. Well the better offer wasn't all that great after I made the move, so after several years I'm back with the largest trucking company in the country (I had to throw that in lol) and I am now the lead Journeyman Tractor tech in my shop. (over glorified parts changer)

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 11:53 AM

Through High School I worked in Gas Stations, an IH Garage and assorted retail stores. After a stint in college it was back to retail.
Then in 1972 I went to work in a factory building Farmhand (brand) Machinery and did that for 14 yrs every job except welding and sheetmetal.
Layoffs eventually landed me with a Wholesale distributor(Nations Largest) of Consumer Electronics and video product.
Out of the past 25 yrs, I spent 9 months in video sales, 9 months in electronics sales and the balance in Customer Service. You could say I used to build manure spreaders, now I spread manure.
5 yrs to go and I hope to have my truck farm ready for production when I retire.

#29 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 01:30 PM

I am a Transmission Tech baiscly Diagnose automatic and manual transmissions in automobiles I was a Truck driver for a year but it was hard on my back

#30 Gary400 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 01:58 PM

SURPRISE! I'm a lifetime dairy farmer.

do you drink milk