Garden Tractor Forums banner

Allis HB112 Pintle leak

946 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Talntedmrgreen 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm rebuilding a Allis HB112 GT. I've had it for the better part of two years just sitting in my garage. The whole time it sat it leaked out of the rear pintle. I understand this is somewhat of a common problem with the Vickers pumps. Anyway, I decided to finally finish up the rebuild and fix the leak. I contacted a supplier and got a quote for a re-bushed housing, replacement o-rings, and a new gasket.

Total cost with shipping: $350 before a $75 core exchange refund.

My issue is this:

I broke down the pump and the housing has been "redesigned".

Wood Bicycle part Rim Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim
Bicycle part Rim Wood Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

The housing has been machined out to allow for a needle bearing and oil seal at the pintle. This was done to both sides of the housing. When assembled the oil seal lip is very close to the edge of the o-ring grove, but it does stay clear.

I'm trying to decide which way to go. Does anyone see an issue with the this current build/design? I think the seal will hold and if they do wear out they are an easy replacement.

Do I drop $275 (might be $350 due the core/original house being changed) and get a re-bushed housing and rebuild it as originally designed, or do I spend $15 and replace the two oil seals and hope it works?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.