• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gimpydog OFFLINE  

Gimpydog
  • Member No: 88361
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 07:07 PM

I recently found a Montgomery Wards Plow-Trac Article #89-1278 SIM 990136A barn fresh with its 42 inch WDM-1393 serial # 85x-85 blade.The original Clinton engine is mostly there but likely has a broken connecting rod. Anyone need parts! I'm looking to take the tractor apart, paint it then reassemble it for use as a snow plow. Can the gear boxes be rebuilt and if so who sells parts? The transmission seems to have all three speeds, reverse and Hi/Low functioning. I was going to pop a tacky Honda 5hp on it so it will be functional. Thoughts or advise?
  • Gtractor said thank you

#2 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 754 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 11:15 PM

If gearbox is functioning in all gears and the planetary hi/lo is working I wouldn't mess with it. They are a strong gearbox and don't usually give any trouble. I have a newer 5hp Briggs on mine that works very well. It should be a good snowplow if you have wheel weights and/or chains for it. Have fun....Dave

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Gimpydog OFFLINE  

Gimpydog
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 01:15 AM

The grease is really old and the seals that are visible shot. I assume they were designed to run fully packed with grease as I can find no oil ports. The paint is also missing in many places therefore I'd like to get it powder coated. I was going to straighten the bent handles then paint it red with white wheels to match the Honda. Sort of a contemporary trade off. It appears to have been orange. Do you know where I can find the major seals?

#4 Gimpydog OFFLINE  

Gimpydog
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 01:38 AM

The particularly disassembled tractor with much of the grease coated pig poo removed. The one ring seal just hangs loosely. That can't be right. The grease is so old I doubt I can force enough new grease in. With a good deal of effort I was about to free up the shift selector arm. All the gears appear to function

#5 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 538 Thanks
  • 489 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 05:32 AM

Always thought the 1278 was a Simplicity model FC number 990129 that used a Kohler 4hp engine.

Perhaps it left Simplicity without an engine using number 990136 and Wards added the Clinton engine.

http://gardentractor...vb-1958-om-ipl/

Garry

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,991 Thanks
  • 8,777 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 06:59 AM

Welcome to GTT. The "SIM" in the model number indecates that it is Simplicity made. Check our Manuals Section for the manuals to your tractor and engine. I adopted a 5 hp B&S to mine 30 years ago, using two 1/2" x 1" x 8" adapters that I made and threaded.

The seals are probably "off the shelf" standard sizes that you can get at a NAPA. Be carefull, take pics as you dissassemble, and most important, have fun. Good Luck, Rick