57 replies to this topic

#31 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 07:04 PM

Hi all well got the DS cover ready to go got the mount holes located and drilled, so tomorrow it'll get paint, the light came on today the local creamery sell belts and I've bought many belts there but for some reason didn't think of them until today gave them a call and they had a B27 belt went and got one and its installed a perfect fit. Removed the engine house the DS cover and the lower engine shield, will be removing the old paint on the hood and then paint it called the radiator shop and he was finishing up the radiator will pick it up tomorrow and will then install it. Looking into the upper radiator hose into the head it looks fairly rusty have been thinking about what to flush the engine with before installing the fresh radiator any ideas?

#32 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 08:13 PM

Hi all, radiator shop called and it was ready so picked it up the shop owner told me the radiator was in a lot better condition than he originally thought and it turned out good, so when I got back to the shop with it I decided it would be good to clean the rust and gunk from the engine so I mixed up 1.5 pts of muiratic acid in a gal of water blocked off the lower radiator hose and poured the mix in the top radiator hose boy did it bubble and gurgle let it be for about 2.5 hrs then drained it out and flushed with clear water a couple of times, it was some nasty looking stuff that came out then cleared with the water flushing. Did a test fit of the radiator today will install it with new hoses tomorrow.

HPIM1571.JPG HPIM1572.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#33 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,525 Thanks
  • 9,820 posts

Posted October 04, 2017 - 09:38 PM

Glad the acid helped. I was wondering if vinegar would also work?
  • MNGB said thank you

#34 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 05, 2017 - 10:24 PM

Hi Cat385B yes I think vinegar would work but I think it would have be in the engine for a longer time like 18-24 hrs also I was thinking of trying THE WORKS toilet cleaner I heard it works good on carbs and other cast iron parts but I didn't have any handy but will be picking some up to give it a try in the future

#35 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 07:42 PM

Hi all, the right front tire blew and I had ordered new tri-ribs so I got started on changing the tire, this turned into a learning experience the LA front wheel are one piece rim and hub are one removed the wheel and went to remove the inner bearing and seal that was a job the seal did not want to move out of the bore and ended up damaging the bearing finally got the seal out so now it was to find a new wheel bearing. Googled the John Deere PN got a number of hits there was an OEM listed on E Bay for about $55.00 + shipping did some more searching and used a bearing cross reference and came up with a Timken number (its 14125A) and the local bearing store had them in stock less than $20.00 with MN sale tax.Has a bear of a time getting the old tire off it was old and hard a hard didn't want to stretch and it didn't help that it was an oversize car tire but finally got it off installed the new tire and tube got the new bearing and reinstalled the wheel assy, rolled the tractor ahead and power washed it using a degreaser came out good and then got the radiator installed and added coolant. Removed the old steering wheel and decided to order a new one, tomorrow will put on a temp gas tank and start it again and warm it up good checking for coolant leaks etc.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#36 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 08, 2017 - 01:42 PM

Hi all, worked on the LA yesterday got the radiator installed and added coolant, installed a temporary gas tank so the engine could be started and run and I could drive the tractor, ended up a little bummed engine started and idled nice let it run to warm up check that the fan/ cooling system was working as it should and it was. Throttled it up and it started to miss and backfire if it was left at high throttle it would die, tried adjusting the carb but on this carb the only adjustment is idle (it has a fixed main jet) did get it to run some what better but never totally good so it looks like I'll have to open up carb and remove the discharge tube and main jet and check it for an obstruction I squirted carb cleaner thur it before but must be a little something in there. Then after getting it warmed up good I noticed the oil pressure drop to very very low on the gauge so now its to figure out what the problem is there. Did change oil in the engine and the clutch housing and transmission/differential still have the final drives to do.

HPIM1573.JPG HPIM1574.JPG HPIM1575.JPG

• Gtractor, grnspot110, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#37 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 07:23 PM

Hi all, well today was a better day the LA is looking better, found the oil pressure relief valve spring was weak got that straightened out and it now has very good oil pressure, removed the carb disassembled it and discovered the problem that is causing the backfiring above 2/3's throttle a badly worn throttle shaft bushing, took it to a local shop to have the upper body bored and a new bushing installed. Removed the broken busted seat and installed a nice replacement, did a compression test and both cylinders are 100 PSI so that was good, cleaned and gapped the spark plug and discovered that one plug was the wrong number so found a correct plug, My brother was visting with a mutual friend and he asked my brother what I was up to and he said I had bought a John Deere LA the friend said Finally he bought something worth dragging home. 

• KennyP, Leonard VanCamp and jimmy G have said thanks

#38 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 10, 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hi all, well me and Johnny are on much better terms, got the carb back from the shop with new throttle shaft bushings reassembled the carb checked that the the needle seat was sealing then installed it on the engine made all the connections cranked the engine and it runs great no more backfiring and can pull the throttle all the way open and it runs nice and the oil pressure it good had it warmed up good this afternoon and at idle it drops down to a safe idle pressure and comes right back up. Got the steering spindle arms removed someone had welded them in place a brilliant move (NOT) why is it too much trouble to buy a 7/16" X 3" bolt  is beyond my thinking.just fire up the welder and fuse that sucker together and your go to go forever. 

• KennyP and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#39 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 11, 2017 - 10:46 PM

Hi all, got some things done today the steering arms are painted and reinstalled, got the tie rod straightened got it painted along with the tie rod ends and the drag link, finished up the battery tray and hold downs and the battery cables temporarily installed a battery and tried cranking the engine worked as it should.

HPIM1576.JPG HPIM1577.JPG HPIM1578.JPG HPIM1579.JPG HPIM1580.JPG HPIM1581.JPG

#40 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,525 Thanks
  • 9,820 posts

Posted October 12, 2017 - 04:25 AM

Wait a minute, are you using the old style or newer model JD paint?
  • MNGB said thank you

#41 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 12, 2017 - 07:34 AM

Hi Cat385B, using what Fleet Farm has its called Ag gloss green  they don't have any JD green and if Fleet doesn't have it you don't need it   right?

• Cat385B said thank you

#42 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 16, 2017 - 08:59 PM

Hi all got a few things done on the LA, painted the battery tray & hold down and the alternator mount bracket, installed the battery tray and installed a battery, got the alternator bracket on and the alternator installed,test wired the alternator used a GT mag switch as both an ignition switch and a switch to excite the alternator and it worked just as it should, the LA starts good and runs nice. Worked on the hood or engine house as JD calls it pounded out a few dents and brazed up a half dozen cracks, the round starter acess hole had been cut at the rear and the metal bent into enlarge the hole got that straightened so it is round again.

HPIM1582.JPG HPIM1583.JPG HPIM1584.JPG HPIM1585.JPG

#43 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,476 Thanks
  • 44,949 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 06:02 AM

Glad the switch is working for you! Coming right along there.

• MNGB said thank you

#44 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 21, 2017 - 08:01 PM

Hi all got some things done on the LA, got an upper belt tension bracket from Amazon, it was for a Chevy and I had to modify it a bit to get it to work  but its good to go. Got the old paint off the hood and its painted took some pictures of it in the paint room it looks better in real life than the paint room pics, about the mid of next week hope to install the hood grill and DS cover. Then its to gat the LH front tire installed the replacement drag link and RH front spindle, will try to straighten the bent one if it comes out good I'll have a spare. Am replacing the drag link as it was assembled without the spring behind the ball cup and I can not get it to come out so the spring can be installed as it should be.

HPIM1590.JPG HPIM1586.JPG HPIM1587.JPG HPIM1588.JPG

• KennyP, Cvans, Cat385B and 2 others have said thanks

#45 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 24, 2017 - 06:23 PM

Hi all, made so good progress on the LA today well it looks like more than it really id but it still a good feeling to view the results. Got the air cleaner cleaned up and paint, got the engine house installed after three tries,lowered it in place and the gas tank mount was hitting the alternator lifted it off and turned the bracket 180* that helped but it was still closer than I liked so ligt the hood for a 3rd time ground out an area over the alternator and tried the hood again by the 3rd time I was getting pretty good at getting in place  three was the charm it fit nicely got the bolts in and installed the grill and then the new drive shaft cover got all the mt bolts in and tightened. Next its to wire the electrical system  install the sediment bowl and fabricate a gas line to the carb install the air cleaner with new hoses.

HPIM1594.JPG HPIM1595.JPG HPIM1596.JPG HPIM1597.JPG HPIM1598.JPG

• Gtractor, KennyP, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks