• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 01:04 PM

I'm not sure if there are any other tags on the tractor. I will take a look at ours tonight and see if I can find any.

• MNGB said thank you

#17 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 09:49 PM

Hi all, the fan was off it when I got it they had one to go with it so after I had it running yesterday I thought it might be a good idea to put the fan on well that was easier said then done found out that the grill had to come off then it went in good but then I kind of figured out why the fan was off it was tight against the radiator so to get the radiator to move forward I had to remove the hood and gas tank loosened the top radiator hose and the 2 bottom mount bolts and the radiator moved forward and there was good clearance for the fan but I noticed the radiator was in pretty rough condition so this morning removed it and took it to a radiator shop hopefully he can salvage it and it'll be good, ordered anew set of tri-rib tires and tubes last night also. Have been seriously considering converting it to 12 volt and using a smaller Hitachi alternator, as there was no generator on the tractor and 6 volt batteries are getting very high priced and harder to find.

HPIM1542.JPG HPIM1543.JPG HPIM1544.JPG

• Alc, KennyP, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,613 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 05:36 AM

I'm been following your thread , this LA showed up on my local CL . Give you some incentive  Those are sweet tractors

https://allentown.cr...6306073733.html

• Cvans, MNGB and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#19 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 186 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 10:23 AM

I used a 12v generator when I converted our Minneapolis BG 1 Row to 12v. Only reason behind this choice was to keep the stock appearance. For performance, it's hard to beat an alternator though.

• MNGB said thank you

#20 Cjet69 ONLINE  

Cjet69
  • Member No: 68442
  • 432 Thanks
  • 263 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 10:27 AM

Just found some info that may help determine the year of your tractor.

http://www.yesterday...=jd&th=82200%3E

• Cvans and MNGB have said thanks

#21 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 11:55 AM

Hi thanks cjet that may be a big help in narrowing down to within a couple of years. Thank Achto, the main reason for the alternator conversion it is a lot less money when its all said and done, I do have a nice smaller Autolite 6 v generator the old model that uses a cutout and a a 2 position light switch with the resistor to control charging rate but the LA's had a Delco generator so I think the alternator would be good.

#22 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,493 Thanks
  • 1,571 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 08:18 PM

I noticed the radiator was in pretty rough condition so this morning removed it and took it to a radiator shop hopefully he can salvage it and it'll be good

We have taken several radiators to this company for new ones to be made or fixed.  They do EXCELLENT work!  They made an entire new core for our 1926 McCormick Deering 15-30 and it fir perfect and was an almost exact copy of the original.

http://www.truckradiatorspa.com/

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#23 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 08:31 PM

Hi all, well after reading the article cjet linked I've decided that the LA is a 1943 model yr, so that's what it is, someone had put a bend in the throttle rod/handle so this morning I heated it red hot and got it back to straight then painted it, then decided to fabricate a battery box base rather then pay $45.00 plus $13.60 shipping for one, it turned out good and its in the paint room, waiting on some 1/4" rod to fabricate a starter push rod, and made a pattern for the drive shaft cover to have it bent up.

• Gtractor, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#24 Cjet69 ONLINE  

Cjet69
  • Member No: 68442
  • 432 Thanks
  • 263 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 11:53 PM

Glad the info helped out. I was noticing your battery box base was missing and was thinking I should get some measurements for you, but sounds like your already done.

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#25 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 06:52 PM

Did some work on the LA today, painted the battery box base mount,painted the throttle rod and throttle ratchet plate, fabricated an alternator bracket to mount an alternator on the engine, got it made and temporarily mounted the alternator, I had a smaller Motorola alternator so will give a try hopefully it will fit under the hood. Have been trying to fin a fan belt that has turned into an impossible quest, I have an old OEM  belt and it measures to be a B27 but can't find a B27 belt anywhere a B27 crosses to 5L300 I didn't what to use a 5l belt but it looks like that's what it will end up being, an OEM  JD belt a L4264T if can be found are out of this world for price.

HPIM1545.JPG HPIM1547.JPG HPIM1550.JPG HPIM1551.JPG HPIM1552.JPG HPIM1553.JPG   

• Alc, KennyP and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#26 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,541 Thanks
  • 9,828 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hopefully the new belt will work. JD didn't use proprietary belts until the 60's.
  • MNGB said thank you

#27 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted September 30, 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hi all, well didn't get a lot done on the LA this week too many fall things to do but did make some progress, figured out what size v belt was needed for the alternator picked that up and was going to get a 5L300 for the fan but Fleet Farm didn't have any in stock so thought that a next shorter one might work as it looked like a lot of adjustment room but no, so its a 5L300 that's needed.Cleaned up the grill and straightened it as best I could and painted it then worked on the lower engine shield straightened it and gas welded 4 cracks in it and got it painted, didn't get a starter rod or the small lever for the starter switch so fabricated those ended up making 3 of the switch levers before I got one I liked got them painted along with the air cleaner tube, installed a new choke cable, when working on the starter rod and lever the started stopped working kind of figured it was the switch contacts so removed the starter and switch sure enough the contacts were corroded got the switch contacts cleaned up good but the one on the starter didn't look good at all wasn't sure what was going to happen with it but wire brushed it and discovered it was a nut on a brass bolt so looked in the shop but didn't have a nut that would work so ended up turning the nut over and that worked good that works better than ever, So this next week should be more productive as its forecast to rain 3 or 4 days.

HPIM1554.JPG HPIM1555.JPG HPIM1556.JPG HPIM1557.JPG HPIM1558.JPG HPIM1559.JPG HPIM1560.JPG

• grnspot110, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#28 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,541 Thanks
  • 9,828 posts

Posted September 30, 2017 - 11:57 PM

Nice job on the grill.
  • MNGB said thank you

#29 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 12:25 PM

Hi all, worked on the LA yesterday did a test fit of the engine house / hood wanted to see how well it lined up and if the alternator would clear its going to work out, it was fun trying to get everything aligned, have the gas tank out so it was easier to handle an the radiator is still off but I can tell I'll have to have help putting the hood on when the radiator and gas tank are installed its going to be a fun day :smilewink:  My friend brought in the driveshaft cover he bent up for the DS and its going to work out nice, so was trimming and fitting it also. Brazed a crack in the front of the hood it was caved in and hard to get aligned so a little bondo will be needed.

HPIM1562.JPG HPIM1563.JPG HPIM1564.JPG HPIM1566.JPG HPIM1568.JPG HPIM1569.JPG HPIM1570.JPG

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#30 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 679 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted October 03, 2017 - 12:43 PM

If your still looking for a fan belt and don't want to use the 5L belt a 251428r1 off a Farmall Cub is about the same size. Depending on who makes the belt it shows up as 5/8x31 1/8 or 11/16x30 1/4

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks