• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,721 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 06:41 PM

Hi all, well I made a deal on a JD LA this afternoon it needs some TLC but that's one of the reason to buy it, not my first green tractor but the first John Deere. I guess when one gets older he lets his guard down :smilewink: :wave:  actually it doesn't look to bad to me I'm thinking it will be a fun project don't plan to do a complete refurbish but rather get it going and in good operating condition. Anyone have one of these little tractors?

20170912_070843.jpg HPIM1538.JPG HPIM1539.JPG HPIM1541.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM1540.JPG

• daytime dave, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 RustyB ONLINE  

RustyB
  • Member No: 82061
  • 96 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 07:08 PM

I've wanted John Deere L for a long long time. I can't seem to find 1 worth having that matches the amount of money in my wallet.  That's a nice find I would be proud to call it mine. Good Luck and enjoy it.

Rusty

• grnspot110 and MNGB have said thanks

#3 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 508 Thanks
  • 286 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 07:19 PM

Very nice garden tractor!  Any idea what year that is? And is that your first John Deere two cylinder?  My first tractor was a John deere B that needed way too much work, it would have been a good project if I lived on a farm.

• MNGB said thank you

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,721 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 07:21 PM

Yea my first John Deere its a 2 cylinder but its a vertical engine vs horizontal like the "B" etc.

• Alc, KennyP and pryan05 have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,809 Thanks
  • 6,044 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 07:37 AM

First pic is a different tractor than the rest?

• MNGB said thank you

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,721 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 07:41 AM

Hi no its one that the seller had taken, same tractor

#7 Kster526 OFFLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 738 Thanks
  • 478 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 08:13 AM

Nice congrats on the new edition .

• MNGB said thank you

#8 Dugmf12 OFFLINE  

Dugmf12
  • Member No: 57577
  • 87 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 08:26 AM

That is a cool little tractor!  Interesting that it's a vertical engine instead of horizontal.  Curious if there was a specific function that required that design.  Whatever, maybe they just wanted to mix things up a bit.  Nice rig though, and congratulations and enjoy

• MNGB said thank you

#9 Cjet69 OFFLINE  

Cjet69
  • Member No: 68442
  • 385 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 10:34 AM

Welcome to the L/LA owners club, GB. We have a John Deere L that we are slowly restoring. Have

fun with the new project.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_5142 (Medium).JPG
  • 100_5143 (Medium).JPG
  • 100_5289 (Medium).JPG
  • 100_5290 (Medium).JPG

• grnspot110, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,721 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 12:51 PM

That is a cool little tractor!  Interesting that it's a vertical engine instead of horizontal.  Curious if there was a specific function that required that design.  Whatever, maybe they just wanted to mix things up a bit.  Nice rig though, and congratulations and enjoy

Hi from what I have learned it was designed for the small farmer to replace his team of horses most farmers used their horse machinery with the tractor it started out as a model 62 then came the L and then the LA was added both the L and LA were built at the same time the LA had about 4 more hp and had and  a 540 PTO option and I think all the LA's had an electrical system not all L did.

The L LA's were replaced by the JD M MT etc then the 40's all had 2 cyl vertical engines.

Edited by MNGB, September 19, 2017 - 12:54 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#11 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 01:09 PM

That is a cool little tractor! Interesting that it's a vertical engine instead of horizontal. Curious if there was a specific function that required that design. Whatever, maybe they just wanted to mix things up a bit. Nice rig though, and congratulations and enjoy

JD had a bigger version of this in the M/MT, the horizontal design was allready dated when the L came out and i think without looking it had a Hercules twin engine, JD came out with its own engine in the LA, what i find curious is JD's comment to the twins and especially the horizontal ones with an engine design comming from the teens in the Waterloo Boy, just looked and the later L's produced with the LA's had a JD engine

Edited by jimmy G, September 19, 2017 - 01:22 PM.

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#12 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 183 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 02:53 PM

My family has a LA ( Dad insisted that his collection stay with us boys)

I see that you are missing the lower rounded piece on the front. It was one of those pieces that had to be removed in order to mount the cultivator. Like most sheet metal that had to be removed, I'm sure it was thrown in a corner and is long since forgotten.

Just curious to know if the brass i.d. tag is still on the rear end.

Nice looking tractor BTW. :thumbs:

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#13 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 323 Thanks
  • 272 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 05:27 PM

The L and LA were designed with the vegetable farmer in mind. The prototype was labelled as a Y, then it became 62 and then finally as L and LA. The first engines used in them were made by Novo, then JD produced their own engines. One thing to note is they started out with a Ford transmission and rear end.

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#14 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,721 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 05:37 PM

Hi Achto, thanks for your reply, yes the chin is missing as is the cover over the drive shaft from engine to trans, yep like you say they get taken off and thrown in the corner sometime along side the shed and that's where it stayed.  At one time this tractor had a mid mount sickle mower and I'm sure that's what happened to the the DS cover as you had to remove it to install the mower pulley on the DS. Its got a number of parts missing so I'll be calling a salvage yard not to far away and see what they have to offer.

And no the SN ID tag is missing little disappointed that it was missing. Do you know are there any numbers on the engine or elsewhere on the tractor to kind of date it?

• Achto said thank you

#15 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,721 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 11:56 AM

IT Runs took the carb off and cleaned it (was pretty clean) installed new temp fuel hose and fittings, connect a 12v battery and cranked it it popped a couple of times then nothing then it run about 40 secs when it did that lots of large rust flakes from the old muffler blew out, cranked some more and it took off runs nice good oil pressure drove it ahead and back in the shop so it moved on its own power. I think some of those rust flakes/chips may have been under a valve or 2 and they finally all blew out.

Edited by MNGB, September 21, 2017 - 09:35 PM.

• KennyP, Leonard VanCamp and Achto have said thanks