Garden Tractor Forums banner

716 questions

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  3v0 
#1 ·
I have a chance to trade one of my GT's for a rough Allis 716H and have some questions.

The engine had a busted rod and a used one was swapped in. Not sure I trust it. Has anyone repowered with a horizontal Briggs opposed twin. I have a nice one I could use for the purpose.

With the sunstrands hydro units used in cub cadets you need to have a ported pump to have hydraulics. What is the setup with this 716. I'm expecting to hear if the tractor does not have it its not worth adding.

I'm having trouble figuring out the difference between the 700 and 900 tractors. Are the 900s better tractors and if so are the 700s worth messing with.

As you can tell I'm not over anxious to make this trade but want to be sure I'm not passing up a decent GT. Either way I could use the education :)

3v0

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
No hydraulic pressure ports as said. I had a 416 and it was a good tractor. The Vickers often developed weeping oil leaks at the swash plate shafts, but not too terrible. Swapping engines to a Briggs may be difficult. The flywheel adapter won't fit the Briggs, and likely the PTO clutch won't work with the Briggs either. Plus the crankshaft height from bottom of oil pan has to be the same or extremely close due to the flex plate design of the driveshaft.

#5 ·
So we're talking about a 416H then? It would require cutting the frame sides for a horizontal twin. Not sure on a v-twin.

Reactions: 3v0
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.