Garden Tractor Forums banner

New guy.

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  sgtrock1976 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, Just a few days ago I bought my first lawn tractor. After looking into all sorts of newer options and taking advice from a friend I decided that a JD 316 was the way to go and picked one up that has a Kohler single cyl in place of the stock onan. Runs very strong and couldn't be happier with it at this point. I plan on restoring it somewhere along the line as I have gotten hooked on these old deere tractors right off the bat and would love to have one that is in pristine condition. Just wanted to say hello and tell everyone that I'm a new guy so please forgive if I ask stupid questions as I'm still learning some things about these machines.:smile1:

#3 ·
Welcome to GTtalk Dan.
i have a 316 later with an Onan. Great tractor.
The first one came with Kohler singles as I undersand.
Also fine machines.

#4 ·
The machine I got as far as I can tell from serial #'s came with an Onan from the factory that was replaced with the kohler. I believe it is a 1984. The kohler seems to work great in this unit so far, a good friend of mine that has a 316 with an onan just blew up and he is considering swapping in the kohler as well. It is a 17 horse (I think) so it feels very much like it was intended to operate. Thanks for the welcomes and I will get some "before" photos up as soon as I can.

#8 ·
Dan, welcome to the forum,glad to have you with us.

Nice looking JD.

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum. The older 300 series JD tractors are a good choice for a working machine because many of the parts are still available from JD. Your 316 looks in pretty good shape.

#11 ·
Welcome to GTtalk , don't worry about asking any questions , we all have been there and I still ask stupid ones:bash: :rolling::rolling:Al

#14 ·
Dan Welcome to GT talk. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. JD. made two series of 316, series 1 was a closed frame tractor similar to the 140 and 300. The second series used a open frame just like the 318. The 341K Kohler is a great engine, and should have a lot of power for your tractor. I hope you enjoy the forum and ask all the question you have and someone will answer you shortly. Nice looking tractor....

#17 ·
:wave: MinnesotaDan Welcome to GTTalk! Seems I'm a little late to the party...again. Oh well didn't want to miss saying hello and Welcome! We hope that you enjoy the forum and all that it has to offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.