• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thgilder OFFLINE  

thgilder

• Member No: 105
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 09:35 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a Steering Balljoint Part# 511 014 M2 for a MF 16 . I had a little accident with my tractor today and broke this piece:mecry:. The good thing is I'am ok, and so is the side of my garage!! lol

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 09:46 PM

TSC carries joints that will fit, so may Princess Auto will???

#3 thgilder OFFLINE  

thgilder

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 10:01 PM

Never heard of TSC, but there is a princess Auto about an hour away so I will give that a try.

Thanks for feedback.

#4 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 02, 2010 - 10:47 PM

TSC carries joints that will fit, so may Princess Auto will???

Good to know Daniel, I was going to offer to sell him one of mine from a old tractor, but a new one would be much better.

#5 thgilder OFFLINE  

thgilder

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 11:06 PM

Good to know that you guys have parts available if I can not find what I am looking for. I just bought this tractor about two weeks ago, and I am looking at fixing her up. I just took the snow blower off, chains and cab and was giving her the first ride around the yard. I took a turn around the garage at full speed and found out the hard way that the steering was loose. I took care of the loose steering but unfortunatly now I have none HA HA.

Learned two important lessons, First don't take turns at full speed. Second, I am an idiot!! lol :laughingteeth:

#6 thgilder OFFLINE  

thgilder

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 16, 2010 - 04:10 PM

OK Today I got the steering ball joint and fixed my steering, but when I was making my test runs around the yard I noticed that I could steer the trator a lot further to the left then I could to the right. Is this the normal operation of the steering or could I have miss aligned something when I installed that new joint.

Edited by thgilder, April 17, 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 16, 2010 - 06:38 PM

You want to turn your steering wheel both directions to full lock, then find the exact center....so if steering wheel is 3 turns lock to lock, then exact center would be 1 1/2 turns from either left or right. Once centered, then adjust your steering link going to steering column control arm until front wheels are pointing straight ahead. This will give equal turn radius left or right.

#8 NUTNDUN ONLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 16, 2010 - 08:09 PM

Just what olcowhand said and also check to see if you have steering stop bolts in place and if the one on the ride side is out further keeping it from turning as sharp to the right. My 12 did the same thing and the combination of centering everything and checking and adjusting the stop bolts took care of it. They don't turn super sharp to begin with even if you have it perfect.

#9 thgilder OFFLINE  

thgilder

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 10:19 AM

Thats the first thing I did when I got the new balljoint. I went all the way to the right and left and then turned back to find center. What seems to be the problem is that when I steer to the right, the arm assembly (Front suspension, steering and wheels part#29) is hitting the lever assembly, transmission actuator (shift and brake control part#18). When I go to the left the arm assembly has a clear path, so it turns farther.

Once again I will tap your never ending knowledge and ask if this is normal?