• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Brian Waters OFFLINE  

Brian Waters
  • Member No: 88314
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 08:25 PM

I've been swamped with non GT issues. Hope these guys have an answer for you!

We seem to be moving in the right direction. Hopefully the GT mule will work on the FF and with some luck the GT mowing deck can be made to fit the FF.

• KennyP said thank you

#17 Brian Waters OFFLINE  

Brian Waters
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 08:31 PM

I went out and measured the frames. The FF is 1 1/2" wider. The mule drive does not hook to the front mount so those should swap. The GT deck and hangers should work but the brackets will need to be moved out 3/4" on both sides

** I double checked the mule and the GT18 looks to be bolted to the frame. The FF is removable. I will get you a pic.**

Do you know if the mower deck is a 44" inch or 50" inch? I do have a deck hanger if that helps any.

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,878 Thanks
  • 44,617 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 06:46 AM

I'll be away most of the day again, got a small job going. Hope I can add something to all this soon.

• Brian Waters said thank you

#19 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,987 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 11:15 AM

Do you know if the mower deck is a 44" inch or 50" inch? I do have a deck hanger if that helps any.

The deck I have for the FF is probably a 50 and the one on the GT could be a 50 also since it wouldnt fit between the fender wells on my full size truck.. Hanger width shouldnt be different between the two decks for the same tractor

#20 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,987 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 11:35 AM

I was looking for a good top view pic of the deck since I didnt have any handy and it looks like the early gt6000 (next model after the GT/18) decks should also fit with a little work. The later decks with the plastic belt guards have a different hanger configuration.  

#21 Brian Waters OFFLINE  

Brian Waters
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 09:54 AM

The FF hangers are 18" centers and the GT's are 15". I didnt think the measure them for length, but the ends look the same. here is the MD.

Sorry to hear about the back problems, that's no fun. I was thinking maybe I'll start with the mule drive and see if I could get that to mount to the FF / 18. How much do you want for the mule drive and do you ship? 

#22 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,987 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 10:51 AM

I didnt plan on selling any parts, just providing info on what I think might work. The mule drive in pic is for FF18 so you can see what you are looking for. You should be able to pick up a local GT18 parts machine cheaper than you can ship the deck.

#23 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,987 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 02:28 PM

Alot of the parts for the FF/GT style mower decks are NLA. You can still get blades and bearings. The rest is real hard to find. Depending on what needs to be replaced, you could spend $200+ just rebuilding the deck. I had a cast flat pulley rusted out and couldnt find one with the correct bore and key size. I think I payed $35 to get it broached out to fit. The X style hangers and the low profile spindles limit what will work on the machines. 

Edited by tater195, September 23, 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,878 Thanks
  • 44,617 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 02:31 PM

I got out all the Sears mule drives I have. First 2 on the LH side are GTV/16's (circa '81-83). Next is the FF/20, and then a GT/18. The FF mule is much more massive and attaches differently.

DSCN3334.JPG

A side view:

DSCN3335.JPG

• olcowhand, Mark 149 J. and Brian Waters have said thanks

#25 Brian Waters OFFLINE  

Brian Waters
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 06:32 PM

Alot of the parts for the FF/GT style mower decks are NLA. You can still get blades and bearings. The rest is real hard to find. Depending on what needs to be replaced, you could spend $200+ just rebuilding the deck. I had a cast flat pulley rusted out and couldnt find one with the correct bore and key size. I think I payed $35 to get it broached out to fit. The X style hangers and the low profile spindles limit what will work on the machines. 

Thanks for taking the time to find the information for me as I start to get this FF fixed up it will help. Brian

• tater195 said thank you

#26 Brian Waters OFFLINE  

Brian Waters
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 06:44 PM

I got out all the Sears mule drives I have. First 2 on the LH side are GTV/16's (circa '81-83). Next is the FF/20, and then a GT/18. The FF mule is much more massive and attaches differently.

attachicon.gifDSCN3334.JPG

A side view:

attachicon.gifDSCN3335.JPG

The FF mule drive does look more massive, where would you suggest I try looking to buy a mule drive? I haven't had much luck on ebay, is it easier to try to find another whole tractor and use it for parts? And, thanks for the photos, I know it takes time for you guys to get measurements and photos.

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,878 Thanks
  • 44,617 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 07:02 PM

Sometimes, it's best to find one with a blown engine to get what you need! M y first FF/20 only had a Gravely blade fitted to it. The second one had the mower deck, but no engine. These are hard to find parts/attachments for! Took me a while to get the engine for the 2nd one. But it's a lower serial!

#28 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,987 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 07:06 PM

There are many that will roll their eyes when you call FFs rare. They have obviously never tried to find parts for one. There are a few site sponsors that have used parts for sale. I bought a steering shaft from Bobs several years ago. There are several GT junkyards that ship parts and many have online inventory look up.

• KennyP and Brian Waters have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parts, mule, mower deck