27 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Waters OFFLINE  

Brian Waters
  • Member No: 88314
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 08:02 PM

Hi Folks,

This is the first time joining a forum so I'll be brief. I have an old craftsman FF/18 that I would fix up and use. Currently I need the mule drive and maybe the mower deck for it and haven't had any luck seeing these parts on ebay. Any suggestion on who or where I could contact or look to buy these parts? I have a 42" mower deck from a craftsman LT1000 but I don't know if that would work with the FF/18. It would be nice to find a larger deck if possible. Thanks for your help.

Brian

• Xrperry said thank you

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 2,714 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 03:05 AM

:welcometogttalk:  Someone should be along shortly who can help  .  And pics of what you have always help, plus we like em!

• boyscout862 and Brian Waters have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,750 Thanks
  • 44,532 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 03:54 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I have 2 FF/20's and only one deck myself. Not sure if the LT deck can be made to work. If I don't get too busy today, I can check my mule drive against some of the other's I have.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,548 Thanks
  • 7,298 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 05:19 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  I hope some member here will be able to help you .

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,989 Thanks
  • 8,776 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 07:17 AM

Welcome to GTT. If you need manuals just go to our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

• Brian Waters said thank you

#6 Brian Waters OFFLINE  

Brian Waters
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 08:50 AM

Welcome to GTT. If you need manuals just go to our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks Rick, I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to on-line navigation. I found the P.T.O kit manual but I don't have access to open the manuals, what do I need to do?

#7 Brian Waters OFFLINE  

Brian Waters
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 09:00 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I have 2 FF/20's and only one deck myself. Not sure if the LT deck can be made to work. If I don't get too busy today, I can check my mule drive against some of the other's I have.

That would be great. I bought an old farm house a couple of years ago (slowly fixing it up too), and I had been using an LT1000 for cutting the grass / weeds but I was asking too much for a small lawn tractor to cut (several acres). I bought the FF / 18 a while back (it needs lots of work and parts), so now I'm trying to get it fixed up. A friend sent this sites link to me and I think this will help quite a bit. Brian

• KennyP said thank you

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,989 Thanks
  • 8,776 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 09:36 AM

Thanks Rick, I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to on-line navigation. I found the P.T.O kit manual but I don't have access to open the manuals, what do I need to do?

You should be able to just click on the one you want. A new window comes up and you click on download. A bar will come up with a couple of choices. I allways just click on "open". When the manual comes up(which sometimes takes awhile), I save a copy to a set of folders I have on my desk top. You are allowed 3 free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

• TomLGT195 and Brian Waters have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,750 Thanks
  • 44,532 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 10:07 AM

Let us know if you still have issues with the manuals. It sometimes can take a day from your first post for it to let you download.

I'll get on that mule drive, been busy here!

#10 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,977 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 04:55 PM

would the deck and mule from a gt18 mount up. I have both and they look very similar. 

#11 Brian Waters OFFLINE  

Brian Waters
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 04:19 PM

would the deck and mule from a gt18 mount up. I have both and they look very similar. 

I think the FF's and GT's are similar in size, but I don.t know enough about them. I was looking at the mower manual on this site and it shows the  44" and 50" mower decks for the FF's and it also show the mule drive. Maybe you could look at the manual (I went to: Tractor / Implement, Sears Craftsman, FF 44 and 50 Inch Mower, I'm hoping to find a 50" inch mower and the mule drive), or I could get some measurements for you from my FF to compare.  Let me know what you think.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,977 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 04:32 PM

I went out and measured the frames. The FF is 1 1/2" wider. The mule drive does not hook to the front mount so those should swap. The GT deck and hangers should work but the brackets will need to be moved out 3/4" on both sides

** I double checked the mule and the GT18 looks to be bolted to the frame. The FF is removable. I will get you a pic.**

Edited by tater195, September 19, 2017 - 04:37 PM.

• KennyP and Brian Waters have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,750 Thanks
  • 44,532 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 04:36 PM

I've been swamped with non GT issues. Hope these guys have an answer for you!

#14 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,977 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 04:48 PM

The FF hangers are 18" centers and the GT's are 15". I didnt think the measure them for length, but the ends look the same. here is the MD.

20170919 164017

• KennyP and Brian Waters have said thanks

#15 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,977 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 05:11 PM

The length of the X hangers on both measure the same, so they should work, but the brackets will have to be moved out to 18" centers. The GT mule drive could be bolted the the front of the frame after drilling holes. It wont be a direct bolt on swap, but it will get you a head start over the newer LT1000 stuff. There are still alot of GT18s out there.

I just bought mine last fall for $30. It runs and drives, but I have not decided if I will flip it or use it for an organ donor. I blew my back out last spring and have not been too motivated to crawl under mowers for a while. I still have a big build that needs to be done by November and 4 more I need to get running for neighbors. I broke a rocker on my ZTR and had to finish mowing the 5 acres with the tractor. 3 hours of bouncing around on that keeps me sore right up till it needs to be mowed again. i cant get anything done.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Brian Waters have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parts, mule, mower deck