• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 SgtMoonracer OFFLINE  

SgtMoonracer
  • Member No: 74500
  • 61 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted September 27, 2017 - 08:09 PM

The parts were received in today's mail, and I got them painted. Very, very nice work by Kevin. 

I picked up a belt and hydraulic fluid at NAPA, and I'm hoping to find time tomorrow for install. If not, maybe this weekend.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#32 SgtMoonracer OFFLINE  

SgtMoonracer
  • 61 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 11, 2017 - 07:53 PM

Kevin's work was top-notch. I painted everything, and got everything installed, then realized that I had a pretty good leak around the drive gear/shaft. I ordered two seals through NAPA that took the scenic route but finally arrived. They're a little different than the one I replaced; I stuck both of them on... so far so good.

I got everything put back together. Everything seems to be working, although the return spring doesn't seem to be reliably returning the valve closed. I think someone replaced the correct spring with a wound up coat hanger. I'll have to order a new, correct spring.

Of course with all of the monkeying around, I ended up breaking the plastic back of the ignition button. I had to remove that, clean the internals and epoxy it back together. Then I lost the nut on the back of the switch... dropped it somewhere and couldn't find it. Unbolted the battery tray and looked everywhere. The threads aren't standard of course, but I was able to find a nut that fit in my nut box. One of those days...

I removed the deck last week when I realized the reservoir was leaking, so I didn't have any attachment on the lift. I'll try to attach something soon and make sure everything's working under load. Maybe it's time to make the switch to winter gear, and switch the tires with the chained, weighted, set. Both the plow and thrower are accessible for hook-up (surprisingly).

I think I'm going to call my tractor a "975". I've got tin, frame, seat and fenders from a first-year 900. I replaced the rear-end with one from a 1050, and it's got a TR10D from something... maybe a 1000? And, I've probably got $975 in the darn thing to keep it running and replace broken stuff.

Ah, well. seemingly ready for snow that I hope doesn't come.  :thumbs: 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0382 (1).JPG
  • IMG_0383.JPG
  • IMG_0384.JPG
  • IMG_0385.JPG

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#33 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,181 Thanks
  • 1,055 posts

Posted October 12, 2017 - 11:27 AM

Interesting, I see you have the assist lift spring on there. Is it required for the hydraulic setup? I had it installed on my 900 when it was manual lift. It's not on my 900 with the hydraulic lift setup. 

• logmillingman said thank you

#34 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted October 12, 2017 - 11:48 AM

Interesting, I see you have the assist lift spring on there. Is it required for the hydraulic setup? I had it installed on my 900 when it was manual lift. It's not on my 900 with the hydraulic lift setup. 

Thats just the mower lift spring which allows the decks to "float" , alot of people confuse it for the optional lift assist kits that were available.

The spring assist kits attached to the motor mount area.

post-2135-0-51057800-1376921830.jpg

• Husky, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#35 SgtMoonracer OFFLINE  

SgtMoonracer
  • 61 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 12, 2017 - 01:55 PM

I initially did not have the "float spring" installed, but the metal bracket that I installed that I thought controlled the lift height allowed the deck to lift too high, and the drive shaft was wearing a groove in the deck gearbox. I switched to the float spring, and it seemed to work fine, so I left it on there.

I might have the wrong lift arm, and/or might have installed it wrong. 

• logmillingman said thank you

#36 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 940 posts

Posted October 12, 2017 - 04:34 PM

Glad they worked and you are pleased ! Thank you for the compliments. I feel your pain on the "what else can go wrong" I have a HT23 that tries my patience with fuel pumps for some reason, it may get electric. EVERY TIME I unbolt the heat shield from the fire wall if I drop 1/4" hardware down into the black hole of the tractor's inerds they are never to be seen or heard from again !
Good job on all of your work, thou I will add... I hope your sno-caster gets covered in dust not snow this winter :)
  • blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks