• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 08:42 PM

Outside unit has new fan , run and fan capacitors , contactors and in the house a new thermostat. Problem we are having is it will run good all day and then the fan will shut off at night and not come back on. Any ideas ?

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,864 Thanks
  • 5,504 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:11 PM

Hard to diagnose from a computer screen..  The compressor is running I take it..  It may be the pressure or thermal switch depending on the unit/system..

http://www.hydesac.c...l-explanations/

• bbuckler said thank you

#3 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:15 PM

The compressor is running I take it.. 

Compressor kick off too. We have to shut off the breaker and let it sit for a few hours to work again and then it will work all day long. 

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 9,864 Thanks
  • 5,504 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:18 PM

Compressor relay could be the culprit..  https://www.ufixit.c...er-not-cooling/

Sounds electrical as if it was low freon you would not run all day without the thing freezing up or the compressor would go down on lo pressure..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, September 13, 2017 - 09:23 PM.

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 9,864 Thanks
  • 5,504 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:20 PM

**Google is my friend..  Not knowing the brand/ model # makes it tougher..  I doubt we have many HVAC experts in here but I may be wrong...

#6 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:22 PM

Compressor relay could be the culprit..  https://www.ufixit.c...er-not-cooling/

Replaced it 

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,018 Thanks
  • 2,673 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:32 PM

I also have a central A/C issue at the house, but fortunately it has been cool lately and we have not needed it... due to the weather, it is probably done for the year anyways, meaning that I can wait til springtime to dig into mine.... don't want to jack the thread, so i won't ask for assistance here.... but twice now, I heard what sounded like water running thru my furnace and the freon tube froze up at bottom of furnace/top of A-coil, and was frosted over all the way to compressor outside. I had to kill the breaker for teh condenser and then within about 10 minutes the frost was gone and I was able to flip breaker on for compressor and turn the T stat to call for A/C and it worked fine.... about 3 weeks between these episodes, the last time I shut the breaker and have left it off, that was about 2 weeks ago.

had to replace the start capacitor on the condenser unit last year.  19 yo Rheem "Criterion II"   100K BTU, counterflow, 2-1/2 ton condenser unit.

#8 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:36 PM

I also have a central A/C issue at the house, but fortunately it has been cool lately and we have not needed it... due to the weather, it is probably done for the year anyways, meaning that I can wait til springtime to dig into mine.... don't want to jack the thread, so i won't ask for assistance here.... but twice now, I heard what sounded like water running thru my furnace and the freon tube froze up at bottom of furnace/top of A-coil, and was frosted over all the way to compressor outside. I had to kill the breaker for teh condenser and then within about 10 minutes the frost was gone and I was able to flip breaker on for compressor and turn the T stat to call for A/C and it worked fine.... about 3 weeks between these episodes, the last time I shut the breaker and have left it off, that was about 2 weeks ago.

had to replace the start capacitor on the condenser unit last year.  19 yo Rheem "Criterion II"   100K BTU, counterflow, 2-1/2 ton condenser unit.

Ours leaks bad but we can't get them to fix it they come in and change the filter and say that it and we change it least once a month. 

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,018 Thanks
  • 2,673 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:40 PM

I had an intentional leak in mine once, gotta unkook the lineset to get access panel off to A coil, with 2 each cats and dogs I had to get in there and clean the coil.... that was like 10 years ago.  probably could use it again. I goyt some coil cleaner since; this time I am gonna try and spray some in w/o removing the access panel.

Last year when I pulled the cover to replace the condenser run cap, the condenser fins were beyond nasty. full of grass clippings then. probably needs that again too.

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,018 Thanks
  • 2,673 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:41 PM

haven't seen John @ Reliable here in forever.... as I remember he was an HVAC guy....

#11 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:43 PM

I had an intentional leak in mine once, gotta unkook the lineset to get access panel off to A coil, with 2 each cats and dogs I had to get in there and clean the coil.... that was like 10 years ago.  probably could use it again. I goyt some coil cleaner since; this time I am gonna try and spray some in w/o removing the access panel.

Last year when I pulled the cover to replace the condenser run cap, the condenser fins were beyond nasty. full of grass clippings then. probably needs that again too.

We have to clean are coils at least twice a year. It so dry most of the time dust build up quick. 

#12 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 324 Thanks
  • 201 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:49 PM

This is probably dumb, but it isn't the program on a programmable thermostat is it? 

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,175 Thanks
  • 5,944 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:50 PM

I have several decades of industrial refrig. experience. In my opinion your service people are taking you for a ride. It should take no more than one service call to determine the cause of your problems and another one to resolve them. S*@rs tried to pull the same stunt on me many years ago and amazingly when I threatened them they fixed it on the first try.  

Edited by Cvans, September 13, 2017 - 09:51 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer, bbuckler and John Arsenault have said thanks

#14 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:57 PM

This is probably dumb, but it isn't the program on a programmable thermostat is it? 

I was just looking at that and trying to figure if the timer is on 

• DennyIN said thank you

#15 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 10:46 PM

I'm confused, when I clicked on this thread I thought you needed help with a Allis Chalmers tractor :poke: :rolling:

• WNYTractorTinkerer and bbuckler have said thanks