34 replies to this topic

#16 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 08:20 AM

Those little devils have been horrible this year and we got a pup last Dec who digs for them, killed three this year. I either have tons of dirt mounds or deep holes from him digging, cutting grass is a joy :wallbanging: . I bought some of the gas bombs, but haven't used them yet. I do not want to use GrubX to kills grubs as it kills also kills the worms which are beneficial for the grass.

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#17 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 1,007 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 08:46 AM

This guy sure made it look easy for a single hole.....to funny not to share 

https://www.youtube....h?v=VysEvGe_bcA

• KennyP, MFDAC, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#18 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 08:50 AM

I get moles in the yard every year.  All of my neighbors have dogs, so the moles tend to come to my yard.  I highly recommend the Victor Out O' Sight mole trap.  It works great.  It's what most of the pros use to exterminate them.  If you have enough tunnels, use your GT to drive over the tunnels and flatten them.  Set the trap over a known active tunnel.  I usually have one in the trap the next day.  The trap is set up to trigger with travel in either direction.  The spring on this thing is like a bear trap!  You can open the trap and leave the mole in the ground for fertilizer, or pull the trap straight up/out of the ground and the mole will come out with the trap.  I like to confirm the kill.  Also...I don't want anything to suffer.  As long as it's quick and painless, I'm OK with it.  I don't recommend poisons for any extermination.  If a neighbor pet was to dig up a poisoned mole and eat it, bad things can happen.  I use kill traps on all vermin for the safety of the animals that help me keep them in control.

s-l300.jpg

• KennyP, MFDAC and TAHOE have said thanks

#19 Bob E ONLINE  

Bob E
  • Member No: 85024
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 12:20 PM

+1 for piping in mower exhaust. Works for me.
About a month ago a mole decided my dog's spot was a good place to call home. It only lasted a couple days, but dang, my dog tore up the ground worse than any mole could.

• KennyP, MFDAC and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,846 Thanks
  • 44,601 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 02:06 PM

I 'watered' the hole under the porch for an hour this morning. No signs of any others as yet!

• MFDAC and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#21 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 03:24 PM

I've used mortars to have a little fun. The ones you buy from the firework store. Drop it in, cover with large stone, apply foot, Boom, laugh hysterically.

Works great for crawdads in your yard also. Altough, the exit hole for those are a lot closer and like to eject mud, water, and crawfish chunks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#22 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,952 Thanks
  • 1,490 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 07:53 PM

This guy sure made it look easy for a single hole.....to funny not to share 

https://www.youtube....h?v=VysEvGe_bcA

This actually works well for those gophers. We do that at work in areas where they annoy the boss. A milk jug is too small though, we use a 5 gallon water cooler bottle. The critters are put in a box and taken out to the farthest corner of the property and released.

The "gas them" with the tractor engine is also used by some ranchers in this area. My wife's Uncle has a large ranch out on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation and a very large cattle herd. Prairie dogs get out of control sometimes. He had a 1972 Chevy Vega, which were cheap to buy due to lots of oil consumption, that he would drive out to the prairie dog town and drop a hose from the exhaust in the holes. Since it's an oil burner the escape holes can be seen and either covered or sometimes just manned with guys with shotguns.

DAC

• KennyP and Bob E have said thanks

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,846 Thanks
  • 44,601 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 05:05 PM

Over 48 hrs. and no new tunnels/hills! Think I cleared them out for now. Will the grub killer hurt the earthworms? We have some dandy's here, about a foot long!

• MFDAC said thank you

#24 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 09:13 PM

A simple dryer vent tube(alum) or rubber hose over the tail pipe of your car/truck or the muffler on the tractor stuck in the hole or burrow entrance will fix the issue after letting the engine idle for awhile.  Gasses the mole to death.  BTDT, after a burrow collapse and I ate the steering wheel on an Allis WD45 narrow front right in the gut while out bush hogging a field.  We kept a pipe wrapped around the seat area just for this purpose.  One end over the stack and down into the nearest hole.  Let the old WD idle and break out lunch(after recovering from the steering wheel to the gut).    Mike

• KennyP said thank you

#25 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,952 Thanks
  • 1,490 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 05:29 PM

Over 48 hrs. and no new tunnels/hills! Think I cleared them out for now. Will the grub killer hurt the earthworms? We have some dandy's here, about a foot long!

Foot long!!! That's a snake, not a worm!!! Marty said in a comment above that the grub killer also kills worms.

DAC

• KennyP, TAHOE and Bob E have said thanks

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,846 Thanks
  • 44,601 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 06:07 PM

I WILL NOT kill the earthworms!

• MFDAC and TAHOE have said thanks

#27 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,491 Thanks
  • 9,327 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 07:17 PM

I was working at the local U-Pick orchard today, driving a hayrack, giving rides. As I approached the barn to drop off a load of pickers and pick up more; here comes the big ole' yellow barn cat zig-zagging across the yard, hot on the tail of a gopher. I thought the squirrel was getting away, but at the last sec. the cat got 'em. He pick it up by the neck and proudly carried it away. All the ladies and little kids were moaning. :D

Edited by LilysDad, September 17, 2017 - 07:21 PM.

• KennyP, Cvans, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#28 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,272 Thanks
  • 1,232 posts

Posted September 17, 2017 - 10:42 AM

I was working at the local U-Pick orchard today, driving a hayrake, giving rides. As I approached the barn to drop off a load of pickers and pick up more; here comes the big ole' yellow barn cat zig-zagging across the yard, hot on the tail of a gopher. I thought the squirrel was getting away, but at the last sec. the cat got 'em. He pick it up by the neck and proudly carried it away. All the ladies and little kids were moaning. :D

That's a good cat!
  • MFDAC said thank you

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,846 Thanks
  • 44,601 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 03:01 PM

5 days and no new tunnels or hills! :dancingbanana: Payback is hell baby!

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,846 Thanks
  • 44,601 posts

Posted September 24, 2017 - 03:31 PM

No sign of them in the yard as yet! :dancingbanana:  Now for a good drenching rain to collapse the tunnels!