7 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 736 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 04:05 PM

Hi, everyone. I know this section is GT based but my dad has been having issues with his international cub lowboy 154 for a while now. He has to constantly replace points and condenser's because they burn up. It's a 12 volt system and he replaced the coil a while back with a random 12v coil from an auto part. I'm not sure if that could be the culprit, but once he replaces and sets the new points and condenser the tractor will run great for a period of time, sometimes days, sometimes months, and then the tractor will start missing and running poorly and it straight up dies on him. He replaces them and it runs fine and away he goes. Well he's sick of replacing them constantly and is trying to trouble shoot why they burn up so quick.  Any help or suggestions of what to look at would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,512 Thanks
  • 17,911 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 04:34 PM

Was the coil for an internal resistor application?

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,859 Thanks
  • 3,825 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 04:44 PM

It sounds like its getting 12 v all the time which will burn up the points. Depending on the coil, It either has to have an external resistor or an internal resistor. This will reduce the voltage from 12v to about 9v. Points won't burn up at the lower voltage. Easiest the to do is buy a coil with a internal resistor in it. Most small engines with coil and points ignition use that type of coil, internal resistor. Just my thought.

Noel

• boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,150 Thanks
  • 736 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 04:56 PM

That was my thought on the coil. It isn't internally resisted. I mentioned it to him and he 1st said it couldn't be the coil and then he started going through how the ignition system works in his head and said "i guess it could be the coil if it can be the problem I'll replace it" So I figured I'd ask here and see what everyone's general thoughts are about whats going on and we are back to the coil. So he should just replace it.
  • boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#5 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 298 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:36 PM

Just go down to the auto store and buy a ballast resistor and put it in series with the 12 volt power wire that feeds the coil. That will bring the voltage down so as not to burn up points and condenser.

Edited by Kyocum, September 13, 2017 - 05:38 PM.

• KennyP and stiemmy have said thanks

#6 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,150 Thanks
  • 736 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 07:03 PM

I'm picking up and internally resisted coil tomorrow for my dad. Let's hope it takes care of the points issue

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,191 Thanks
  • 5,789 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 11:13 AM

That'll fix it

#8 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,150 Thanks
  • 736 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 11:26 AM

Picked up a coil this morning from a site vendor Bolens Parts and Supplies or Bolens1000. Chatted for a while and got to check out some of his Bolens collection. It's like a museum at his place, He displays certain things and rotates his collection in his shop so I get to see new stuff almost every time I go for parts. :thumbs: :rocker2: Thanks Brian!

• Bolens 1000 said thank you