15 replies to this topic

#1 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,125 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 11:56 AM

Would anyone know of a source to purchase a points/condenser for a Eisemann magneto model y-38-s1? This goes on a 6HP Wisconsin AKS s/n 1150823. It is off a Ridemaster. The engine misses sometimes (I think). It after fires out the exhaust and won't really stay running. I've ruled out timing, valve adjustment and carb was rebuilt. I'm thinking maybe points/condenser at this point? It gets a super bright orange spark when turned by hand with an inline spark tester. I'm thinking maybe the condenser is breaking down at engine speed? I don't want to invest big money in a new carb until all other options are exhausted. Thank you for any thoughts on this.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,645 Thanks
  • 8,597 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:11 PM

Try our sponsors. Did you test the condensor the way the manual says? Good Luck, Rick
  • Husky said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,512 Thanks
  • 17,911 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:12 PM

I dont have a breakdown on that mag so cant reverence part numbers for you unfortunately

• Husky and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,048 Thanks
  • 2,288 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:24 PM

If you have a timing light you could hook it up and observe the light to see if there is any variation in the way the light is flashing at the time of the miss.  Just a suggestion as it may help you determine if the miss is electrical in nature.

• Husky said thank you

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:34 PM

Y-38-S1 would be the Wisconsin part number for that magneto. The Eisemann part number may be Eisemann AM-1. I came across a websight when searching for parts for an Eisemann magneto on a Wisconsin AB engine. Here's a link to the 1949 parts manual.
http://www.oldcroak....949/?fullSite=1
  • Husky, LPBolens and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 12:18 AM

Just to add a little. You can replace the entire magneto with a WICO or a Fairbanks Morse and the parts are available for these. The Eisemann will always be difficult to find parts for, and most likely costly. Mags show up at very reasonable prices on Ebay and most times they just need a good cleaning to get a hot spark out of them. Here are the magnetos that you want to look for for your AKS with the serial number that you provided.
WICO XH-1295c
Fairbanks Morse FMXD1B7
Have you checked for pitted valve seats? I usually have to cut the valve seats or replace them, especially the exhaust, when working on these old Wisconsins. The valve seat and valve face angle is 45° on the Wisconsin AEH that I just did a valve job on. I use a Neway valve seat cutter and did a two angle valve job. I cut both seats at 32° and 46° to narrow the wiping surface. The valve faces looked fine, so I just lapped them in, set the valve lash, and the engine runs like a top. I did have a problem with the engine surging and missing after doing the valve job and cleaning the carb. I bolted an NOS Stromberg carb on it and that solved my problem. I disassembled the original Stromberg carb again and found that the idle tube was plugged with varnish. I boiled the carb in water and a shot of lemon juice this time and it cleared the passages. I reassembled this carb, put it back on, and the surging and missing completely went away. It's running as good as it did with the NOS carb. The governor needs to be adjusted properly, and the governor spring needs to be in good shape for these engines to run well.
I do have two of the Eisemann AM1 mags, but they are sitting on a shelf for now. Both gave me intermittent spark issues, and after searching for parts, I decided to swap them out with WICO mags. In my opinion, you should swap yours out too. It will be much easier to find replacement parts when needed. If your carb doesn't have excessive throttle shaft play, it may just need a deeper cleaning like I ended up doing. I actually swapped out the mag on this AEH engine at first, since I thought that I cleaned the carb good enough the first time. Live and learn, I guess. Let us know how you make out.

Edited by classic, September 14, 2017 - 12:19 AM.

• Husky and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,125 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 11:20 AM

Well guys this is great information and I appreciate it. The engine had a valve job and carb rebuld (twice on the carb). It's now apart again on my bench. My valve spring compressor arrived so I'm going to remove the valves, check the seats and adjustment. If all is good there it's back to electrical or fuel issues. Maybe I need to boil the carb as you suggest. I like the idea of putting a timing light on it and see if I can detect any variations in missing of spark. 

If the mag ends up being the issue I will look into swapping out for a fairbanks. The manual I have shows that it had either/or mag. Unfortunately mine has the Eisemann AM 1 on it. It does spark great when turning it over slow and letting the impulse trip over.

I took the governor rod out of the engine and inspected it. The external linkage spring looks great but no clue as to whether is it the right one or not. I tried adjusting per the book. In order to try out the engine again I need to install it back onto the tractor so that I can connect up the throttle linkage and the governor linkage properly. 

I guess my first step should be a new condenser and try a timing light?

Here's a Fairbanks that looks like a fair deal maybe I should get it. I'm guessing that I would put the gear from my old one onto this new one as it does not have a gear on it.

http://www.ebay.com/...E0AAOSwzPdZq-37

Edited by Husky, September 14, 2017 - 11:39 AM.

• logmillingman said thank you

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 12:10 PM

That's a good deal for an NOS mag, but most used mags for 30 or 40 bucks will work with a good cleaning. If you buy a used one, just have the seller pull the cover and take a pic. You want to make sure that the coil insulation hasn't started to melt or ooze. The only mag that I couldn't get to work was full of water and corroded badly.
  • Husky, boyscout862 and logmillingman have said thanks

#9 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,125 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 02:46 PM

Excellent I may go for it. I'm guessing that I just swap my gear onto that mag?

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 07:11 AM

The part number for the magneto gear for the Eisemann mag is GD-87-A, and the part number for the WICO and Fairbanks magnetos is GD--87-B.I don't believe that these gears are interchangeable, so you will have to get the correct gear.

Edited by classic, September 15, 2017 - 09:37 AM.

• Husky and logmillingman have said thanks

#11 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,125 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 11:26 AM

The part number for the magneto gear for the Eisemann mag is GD-87-A, and the part number for the WICO and Fairbanks magnetos is GD--87-B.I don't believe that these gears are interchangeable, so you will have to get the correct gear.

Well I guess I'll find out soon. It's on it's way to my house. I made an offer and he accepted it. I may end up putting that money back into a gear if I can find one. One way or another I'll get that engine running. 

#12 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,125 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 11:54 AM

By any chance when you swapped out your mags did you ever find a source for the GD-87-B gear? I got my NOS Faribanks in its original box, pretty neat, and most likely I'll need to buy a gear as my old one probably won't fit. I've been searching the net but no luck finding that gear. I found a parts magneto FM XD1B7 with the gear still on it for $35 so I may get that one and steal the gear to put onto my NOS mag.  Thanks for all the info on this I appreciate it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• xd1.jpg

• classic and logmillingman have said thanks

#13 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 04:25 PM

You're welcome, Husky. I just bought used magnetos that had gears on them already, but I did search for a new gear for an NOS Wico mag. I did find a gear on ebay I believe, but it was over 80 bucks if I remember correctly. That used mag that you are looking at would be your best bet for a gear, unless someone here has a spare gear floating around. 35 is a good price for a used mag, and you could probably get that one to fire with a cleaning and keep your NOS one for a spare. The NOS mags are great to have for full blown restorations. Nothing like an NOS mag on a freshly painted engine.
  • Husky and logmillingman have said thanks

#14 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,125 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 06:43 AM

Hi Classic I got the used mag for $25. It has been sent out so I should see it next week. My engine is all done and painted so the mag should look really nice on it. Either way, i'll mess with it and keep something as a spare. It's weird the Eisemann has a great strong spark so I'm hoping that the issue is it breaks down under load. We'll find out once I get this all back together.

#15 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,125 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:45 AM

So my next question, to get the gear off is this simply remove the 3/8" nut holding it on? It seems that the entire impulse drive wants to spin along with it. Do I need to hold that impulse somehow? I just don't want to break anything here. I know that you have swapped out a few so any good ideas is much appreciated.