Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Deere 318 wont start - not getting gas to carb.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kathy oakes OFFLINE  

kathy oakes

• Member No: 4364
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 11:18 AM

Anyone - i need some help please!
Have my parents 318 john deere garden tractor......won't start!
no fuel getting to carb.
Have been looking for a manual - to show me how the gas line is routed - to determine if there is a leak somewhere.
Does anyone have a clue?:wallbanging:

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 11:38 AM

How long has it been since it ran last? I would pull the fuel line from the carb and spin the engine over to see if the fuel pump is pumping.

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 11:40 AM

Yep, do as Brian said first, then work towards fuel tank. That may be the long route, as it could be as simple as trash clogging the fuel tank outlet.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 11:49 AM

If I am not getting any fuel out of the pump, I take the fuel line off of the tank side of the pump and blow a little compressed air through it back to the tank. Them I go to the tank and use my hand to seal off fill spout and blow compressed air into the tank, it doesn't take muck air to see the fuel coming out of the line. Hook the fuel pump back up and do this again. Hook the fuel line back up to the carb and see if it will start. DO NOT USE OXYGEN BOTTLE TO DO THIS, only use air compressor air.

#5 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,395 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 12:37 PM

Using an air compresser to blow air into the fuel tank you will blow the screen off the shut off valve. Then you will have to put a fuel filter in your fuel line. Did that on my JD 212. I empty the fuel tank and remove the the shut off valve and the screen was not on the shut off valve, so I looked for the screen. and found it it was rusted out. After 35+ years of fuel going through it and not having fuel in the tank from time to time, they can rust out.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 07:47 PM

Thanks lyall, I have never had that happen to me, but I can see if someone used too much pressure, it could happen. I always use as little pressure as I can doing things like this. 5 to 10 PSI. is all you need to check for flow, I have a regulator that I turn down when I blow lines out to see fuel flow.

#7 MinnesotaDan OFFLINE  

MinnesotaDan

• Member No: 4384
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 01:22 PM

Had a similar situation with my 316 after it sat for a long time before I purchased it. I took the fuel bowl off the carb, poured it full of gas and started the machine off of that and it has been running great ever since. Could give this a try if it has been settin a while.

#8 kuhlenbergj OFFLINE  

kuhlenbergj
  • Member No: 82829
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 06:43 PM

After spending $115.00 for a new fuel pump I found out that all I needed was a $1.50 hose on the inside of my tank. The hose had completely rotted away from the fitting. This 31 year old tractor was probably ready for a new pump anyways since it does seem to start quicker now. If you blow air through the line that goes back to the tank (disconnected from the inlet side of the pump) and you do not hear a bubbling sound, then you have either ran out of fuel or your inlet hose from the tank has cracked and fallen off. Just remember to remove the tank and get the old line out so you can reconnect the screen to the new hose. Just 4 bolts is all that needs to be removed on the top deck (with seat) in order to access the fuel tank (it is heavy though?). After you remove the grommets for the fittings the tank will slide straight up from there. Remember which fitting is for the reserve and which is for the main fuel. The reserve sits in a lower recessed area of the tank and is a short steel line with a 90 deg. bend. Hope this will help anyone before they spend the big bucks for parts they may not need.