Garden Tractor Forums banner

Can anyone identify this? Pacific Tractor

4K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Triffid1990 
#1 ·
Found this one in the blackberries. Articulated tractor (hinge under the seat), Wards engine, disk plow was made by E.B. Moritz Foundry of Santa Ana, California - which makes me think it is SoCal manufactured. Had a lot of hydraulics on it. I've taken off the plows and have found that it only takes a finger under the seat to tip the whole thing over...the plows doubled as a counterweight. Unique steering I have not seen before

Any ideas

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to GTT. That looks to be a homemade tractor or a modified walkbehind. Either way it is very cool. Put a cap on that powersteering pump. The sooner you drain any water out of the hydraulic system, the better. Please post more pics to better identify the components. The engine is a Wisconsin with a PTO clutch set up. That is real nice. The back actually looks like a sulky from a walkbehind tractor. Good Luck, Rick

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I saw one of those on the side of a backwoods road last summer and tried to figure out what it was ! Good info !

#13 ·
I've been doing a little digging on the Pacific Iron and Machine Co. of San Diego.

Owned by Robert R Jones and Estal Render Bourne, the company first appeared in the San Diego City Directory in 1950, located at 3105 Hancock (the building still exists). The 1952 Directory notes that the company is "machy mfrs" while the 1953-54 Directory states they are "steel fabricators."

Tracing each owner backwards, Jones, in 1942, was manager of the Motor Hardware & Equipment Company while Bourne was an aircraft worker for CACorp. in the 1944-45 Directory, both men are listed as owners of the Pacific Tool & Die Company located at 917 University Ave - R.R. Potter was the 3rd owner.

Estal Bourne is credited with patent (#1,707,456, dated April 2, 1929, originally filed May 20, 1926. for a 'Pipe Threading Means" You can search for this on the Google Patents website.

I'll add more to this post as i find it.

#15 ·
What is the number so far ?
I've only started to collect info the last year or so. There aren't a lot of these tractors out there so finding numbers isn't easy. So far I've got 5 numbers. the lowest is 113 and the highest is 512. They all have an H prefix. An interesting note is that 3 numbers are in the 100s and 2 in the 500s nothing in between so far. I was hoping to add this number to the list but for now I'll have to list it as a verified tractor without a number. From talking with some of the guys on the west coast there may only be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 of these even known at this time.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any chance you could see if it's still there and see if you can get any info on it?
I hope to go back up that way for my B-day next month , I will ask my uncle to go and look , he knows where it was , we stopped and looked at alot of stuff there .

but no one was home that day to ask.

It was a strange looking thing that is why I remember it , and the crazy steering .

I will look for a number on it if do get out there.

This one was pretty rough shape , but looks like it was mostly all there compared to these others.

Reactions: DougT
#21 ·
Slowly taking the tractor apart. No surprises so far. Found a nice patch of original orange-red paint in the brake cylinder. So repainting will be accurate. I would appreciate getting close-up views of the hydraulic system so I can figure if i have the original set or if i need to reconstruct it.

thanks

Duane

#22 ·
The hydraulic pump on the engine of yours isn't original. Can't tell what you have for a valve. Below is the factory set-up.

This is the hydraulic reservoir.

Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive tire Red
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Bumper Red

This is the pump. It is manually operated with the black handle. If you look close you can see a rod coming out of the center of the lever. The lever has a knob on top to operate the rod and that is how the pressure is released. Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Rim

These are a couple pics of the valve assy. It's connected to the pump cylinder. The pump is on the left side of the pic. You can see the bottom of the black handle.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive exterior Gas

This is the hydraulic cylinder. Looks like you have the same one.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Attachments

#24 ·
I'm not sure what it is. Both of the ones that have been through here have the same set up. I'm fairly sure that is the original factory set up. It looks to me like someone has modified yours with a power steering pump off the engine so they didn't have to pump it by hand.

#26 ·
I was leafing through my 1949-50 Red Tractor Book published by Implement and Tractor in Kansas City, Mo., published in 1949. On page 161 are the specs for the Pacific H6 and the image that appears in Dave Baas' garden tractor book. If there is any interest, I can scan this page and upload to the forum.

In keeping with my west coast focus, there are two other garden tractors that appeared in this book that I had not heard of:

The Universal by Universal Machinery Corporation, Portland, a walk-behind with a Briggs & Stratton 1 stroke

and

The Buicat by Western Implement Company in Salt Lake City. The 3HP version was a single track walk-behind while the 6HP version was a dual track rider with articulated steering much like the Pacific H6.

Anyone know of these?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.