#1 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 658 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 09:02 AM

So I was at a show in Centre Hall Pa this past weekend and a buddy of mine approached me about buying his panzer (didn't even know he had one lol). Now I have never had a panzer and do not know much about them so I am coming here. My buddy claims that it has a Kohler engine that he rebuilt, he replaced the reverse disc with one he got from Dandy Sales about 6 years ago he claims. He also said that it doesn't charge the battery and dies out, it is missing the original steering wheel, and needs tires. He did say that he has run it and driven it in the past, but it has sat in the shed for the last 3 years and he is ready to clean things out. Now if I buy it, I want to restore it and keep because I have always wanted one. My question is this. Is there anything on these panzer to look for and stay away from? Are there any parts that if missing will be expensive to replace? I know I can't give you a model number, but I hope the kohler engine helps.

Any info or advice will help.

Thanks!

• HANKG and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,050 Thanks
  • 3,321 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 11:32 AM

They are a tank, not much can be broken non them. Chrysler rear end, chain drive tough as nails. I have an extra steering wheel shaft and pinion gear the wheel is half moon shape.
  • karel, GTpicker01 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#3 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,891 Thanks
  • 1,273 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 04:47 AM

Check the frame pipes were their welded to the rear end.

• GTpicker01 said thank you

#4 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 814 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 08:26 PM

Having a Kohler in it is already a plus. The tractor is probably a T-707es or a T-758es. The "not charging" situation usually isn't that big a deal to straighten out unless something shorted out in the regulator or starter/generator. Usually just dirty contacts or stuck commutator brushes, not to mention jerry-rigged wiring.

See if you can get some pics.

#5 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 658 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 07:17 AM

Having a Kohler in it is already a plus. The tractor is probably a T-707es or a T-758es. The "not charging" situation usually isn't that big a deal to straighten out unless something shorted out in the regulator or starter/generator. Usually just dirty contacts or stuck commutator brushes, not to mention jerry-rigged wiring.

See if you can get some pics.

I plan on going to look at it tomorrow some time. I'll at least get some pics because if I can't make a deal. I'll at least see if he will let me pass the deal onto GTTalk.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

• Clint said thank you

#6 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 425 Thanks
  • 304 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 12:00 AM

The hardest to find and most expensive pieces on these machines are the 3 groove engine pulley which is nearly impossible to find without finding a donor tractor. The other is the engine plate. They are available at times, but are usually about $100. A pulley SOLD on ebay a while back for $200+ They just aren't that common so you have to buck up or miss out when they become available if you need one. Tires from a lot of tractors will fit and wouldn't scare me off. Once you get pictures, we'll be able to help more. If it's within your purchase budget, buy it! You can fix it up as you go if it is mostly complete. Usually a good cleaning of the carb, points and a good battery and fresh gas and they usually fire right back up. May need some tweaking, but overall they are very well built little tractors. The reverse discs are available again through HAPCO or the Lawn and Garden Tractor magazine-Kate. Keep us posted and share pictures when you can! Good luck!

Edited by Clint, September 17, 2017 - 12:23 AM.

#7 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 658 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted September 28, 2017 - 07:47 PM

So I bought the panzer tonight. Model number says T707es Serial #80520. It was deep in a shed so i couldnt get good pics but I'm going back tomorrow to pick it up and will get pics then. It's rough looking but I'm excited for the project! One thing though, I think the original engine was replaced because it has a k181 Kohler on it instead of a k161. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get it dug out!
  • Clint said thank you

#8 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 425 Thanks
  • 304 posts

Posted September 28, 2017 - 11:39 PM

So I bought the panzer tonight. Model number says T707es Serial #80520. It was deep in a shed so i couldnt get good pics but I'm going back tomorrow to pick it up and will get pics then. It's rough looking but I'm excited for the project! One thing though, I think the original engine was replaced because it has a k181 Kohler on it instead of a k161. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get it dug out!

http://www.panzertra...zerHistory.html

GTpicker01:

The T707es was initially equipped with a Kohler K161

pp99t707esl.jpgT707es and T707esl
Copar reluctantly added a 7hp Kohler (K161s) engine to their tractors in 1962, and named it the T707es. According to SB 61153A dated Oct 12, 1961, they took orders until 12/31/61 and only produced the ones that were ordered. The Kohler engine was a $49 option for a T70es. The thumbnail picture is from a T707es that is the incorrect color, and is not completely assembled.

According to a later sales brochure dated May 15, 1962, there was also a T707bes model. The b designation stood for Briggs & Stratton, so it appears the 7hp version may have switched over after the initial run of Kohlers. I don't have any record of a T707es being sold with a Briggs engine, though. The 7hp Briggs was a model 170402, but that engine was a common replacement for tractors in the 1960s and 70s.

In August of 1962, the T707esl model was created and advertised as a 1963 model (SB 62168, Aug 13, 1962). The loader in the picture is the same one in the sales brochure. Pictures of the T707esl tractor in SB 62169 (8/27/62) appear to show an air cleaner from a Briggs engine, so these tractors may not have been built with the Kohler engine. 
​Credit: Bill Janitor for maintaining the Panzer Tractor Owner's Group webpage.
Bill Janitor
EMAIL: info@panzertractors.com
Please include the word 'Panzer' in your subject line so my spam filter lets it through. If for some reason I respond, and you have Facebook, you can contact me there. User name is Panzer Tractor.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#9 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 658 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 06:57 PM

Brought home the panzer tonight. It does have the original engine in it, so I was wrong. It has a couple pieces missing, but what are you guys' thoughts?5c27dc63b9d4799d7ce20f5366249518.jpg3de5100b70d9368020d4a4407595739b.jpg6d26731a6fdb952959e5eb15bfc35ddd.jpgb319c740dc82673faecbd851a4a01faa.jpg351c22d0ab621d1f48b6502acd6dae3b.jpgcc7f22f01243a817dde21aec5a307ddd.jpgc04b34d7a2752a1824bc8ea5643204dc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
  • Newpaws493 and BowDown have said thanks

#10 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 814 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 07:30 PM

You say this tractor is "rough"? To me, it looks to be in pretty good original condition. Looks like it still has the original paint under the purple stuff. That can be taken care of with Easy Off oven cleaner. Will remove the funky paint without destroying the original turquoise. I used that method with a set of Panzer/ Meteor wheel weights that were re-painted Farmall red. Worked like a charm. The original style steering wheels are still available too. Where's the voltage regulator? On my wife's 707es, it's mounted on the starter/generator.

I'd say this one was definately a good find. Good luck with it.

Al 

#11 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 658 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 08:39 PM

You say this tractor is "rough"? To me, it looks to be in pretty good original condition. Looks like it still has the original paint under the purple stuff. That can be taken care of with Easy Off oven cleaner. Will remove the funky paint without destroying the original turquoise. I used that method with a set of Panzer/ Meteor wheel weights that were re-painted Farmall red. Worked like a charm. The original style steering wheels are still available too. Where's the voltage regulator? On my wife's 707es, it's mounted on the starter/generator.
I'd say this one was definately a good find. Good luck with it.

Al

Honestly it's not in bad shape cosmetically, it just needs help in the wiring department. As far as a voltage regulator that is a good question because I don't remember seeing one on it! I'll have to try the oven cleaner trick on the paint because it mostly looks like all the original turquoise is under there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

#12 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 814 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted September 30, 2017 - 07:26 AM

Our Panzers-91.JPG Yeah - I could see some loose wires dangling here and there. The original regulator looks like your typical square cover Delco Remy. Here's a photo of the wheel weight that was painted Farmall red.

Experiment with the oven cleaner on a surface that won't show first.

Edited by Panzerguy, September 30, 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#13 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 544 Thanks
  • 560 posts

Posted October 06, 2017 - 08:43 AM

The hardest to find and most expensive pieces on these machines are the 3 groove engine pulley which is nearly impossible to find without finding a donor tractor. 

Hmm.. you don't say. I should pull mine off and sell it on eBay :). I have the engine pulley (with whipped reverse disc), and the transmission side pulley/shaft I'm not using.