• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 harleyd38464 OFFLINE  

harleyd38464
  • Member No: 88279
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 10, 2017 - 08:22 PM

Hello ,Im new to the forum .........I just bought at auction a sears mower model 917.25743 a really nice garage kept all orignal ( i think ) mower ...........i bought it because I like old stuff an also as a nice simple mower for my son to help out around the place an have hos own mower .......I paid 120 bucks for it, runs like a top ..........I would like some info about the mower is anyone can give me some history on the mower ...........Also during the first mow the belt that wourls the moowing deck broke ,it was dry rot im sure so now I cant seem to find a belt does anyone have a clue what size belt to buy an also where to buy it from or is there some sorta cross refrence for a belt ,thanks an this is a great forum thanks for lettin me be a part of it ..........see attached pics i assume i got a good deal cut great befor the belt popedIMG_6624.JPG IMG_6630.JPG

• Gtractor, EricFromPa, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,178 Thanks
  • 4,570 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 02:50 AM

:welcometogttalk:  and  :wewantpics: 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,183 Thanks
  • 1,440 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 05:10 AM

welcome....Just take the old belt to an auto parts or TSC or wherever and the will measure it and sell you a new one. 

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,358 Thanks
  • 7,192 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 05:22 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  Nice looking tractor and at a great price :thumbs:

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,722 Thanks
  • 5,572 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 08:41 AM

Welcome!

You have a 1974 ST16 since it has the 3 spoke steering wheel. The 73 & 74 had same model numbers, but the 73 had a 2 spoke steering wheel.

Looks like you found one with an unbroken upper nose cone, doesn't take much to bust the hinges off of them

You made a really good buy, I paid 150 for my non running ST16.

For the mower belt, I've used Napa's B100 ,but I recommend contacting one of our sponsors, Brian at Bolens part and supplies. He can hook you up with a red kelvar USA made correct size belt.

You are running the Tecumseh OH160 engine, good engine, but they can get a bad rap. The carbs can wear the butterfly shaft bushings and cause missing and erratic running. They also have a Solid State Ignition ( SSI) that can burn out the ignition module. I think it's more of when not if, I've replaced 2 already. They are no longer available, but there are alternative replacements.

Not trying to scare you, but just giving you heads up of some common problems.

They are good running motors when tuned properly, I run my rich to keep the head slightly cooler as they can drop an exhaust valve seat if ran too lean or dirt/grass gets up under the cooling tins.

Under normal use, the rear trans axle is nearly bullet proof. You can find a rear 3 pt hitch for them and Sears offered a bunch of rear implements for plowing, cultivating, tilling, etc

Overall, super buy for a great tractor, hope you and your son enjoy it. If you have any problems, be sure to come ask, there are a few of us Sears fanatics on here.

• Gtractor, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,608 Thanks
  • 8,574 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 09:35 AM

Welcome to GTT. You are off to a great start in our hobby. That is a very nice machine. Your son doesn't look too happy in the pick but give him some time. Explain how driving the mower is good practice for driving a car and it will get more interesting. We have a Manuals Section that should have the manuals for your machine. Download them (three for free per day) and read through. I got my son into GTs when he was 12 to get him off the mind numbing computer. He's 24 now but still has some interest. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 11, 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#7 harleyd38464 OFFLINE  

harleyd38464
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 06:19 PM

LOL That is kinda a snotty picture of him but he was really exited about the mower when i brought it home an it actualy ran ,I bought it from a Online auction not having a clue if it would run or not so we were both really surprised ,I have a Kubota lawn tractor with a loader on the front an with all the trees on the place i dont want him to knock out a tree or loader or him.............

ok i bought a correct lenght belt put it on the mower an just cant seem to get it right ,im sure theres only one way to install this belt on the cutter housing so that seems correct ,the problem is the upper pully ,the belt seems twisted ,the problem is I didnt look at the belt before it broke  so im not sure how it should look any help would be great ,an thanks for the advice on getting the correct belt ,

#8 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 84 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 08:41 PM

The mower belt diagram attachedMower  91725320 belt diagram.PNG is from the user manual for a circa 1973 model 917.25320 42" mower.

• harleyd38464 said thank you

#9 harleyd38464 OFFLINE  

harleyd38464
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 09:52 AM

Thanks ,JiminRi that will help alot ,thanks to everybody that responded an helped me get this tractor going ,god bless

#10 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 84 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 10:10 AM

Thanks ,JiminRi that will help alot ,thanks to everybody that responded an helped me get this tractor going ,god bless

You are welcome, harleyd. You can download a copy at http://www.searstractormanuals.com

It also provides information on mounting, maintaining and adjusting.

Note that I missed a digit in the model number - the correct model number is 917.253250

• harleyd38464 said thank you

#11 harleyd38464 OFFLINE  

harleyd38464
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 08:46 PM

got the belt instaled corectly today works like a charm ,thanks again for all the info an for the hook up on the manual 

• TAHOE said thank you