#1 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 404 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted September 10, 2017 - 08:03 PM

We picked all of the honey crisp apples this afternoon, big, beautiful apples!  Last year we picked around this time of year, this year we are 7 days early.  Had a taste, they passed the wife test, as the iodine test method for ripeness doesn't work all that well for honey crisp, so the taste method is best.  We use the iodine method for our Empire and Sunset apples, (sunsets already harvested, they were not very good this year).

This is a dwarf tree, planted in 2012 and is easy to pick.  We had a big wind a few years ago that permanently slanted the tree from the south west, but she is still a beauty of a tree.  Enjoy the pics!

Attached Thumbnails

• apples 2.jpg

• KennyP, lrhredjb, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,878 Thanks
  • 2,150 posts

Posted September 10, 2017 - 08:55 PM

Yup, it's that time of year. I picked some apples off of a tree in my yard yesterday, and there are lots of apples on these two old trees this year. I don't know what kind of apples they are, but they are pretty sweet. I made some fresh applesauce and man was it good! We're picking more tomorrow, since my daughter wants to make some apple pie.
  • boyscout862, HANKG and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,501 Thanks
  • 9,330 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 07:37 AM

Our local orchard just started up Labor Day with Gala, this week Macintosh. Maybe there will be Honey Crisp next week. We have had a cool dry year that has made the trees slow.

• boyscout862 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#4 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,066 Thanks
  • 3,331 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 11:40 AM

Wine sap my favorite.
  • FrozenInTime said thank you

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,002 Thanks
  • 6,171 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 01:01 PM

Our tree of Red Delicious is really loaded again this year.  Not quite as large as normal but just as much meat in the long run.  Kept them sprayed so Red Cedar rust is minimal.  Not ready yet, probably be another 2 weeks or more.  White peach tree is done.  Making some peach jam this afternoon.  Real dry here now and the tree is close to a rock road.SAM_0383.JPG

• grnspot110 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 06:59 PM

Ours was ready, early this year.  They started falling off the trees by the bucket loads so I picked them all up, picked the tree clean and ran them through a garbage disposal.  Turns them into apple sauce, skin and all.  Then dumped them into the fruit press.  I have some really sweet/very good tasting apple cider.  Will probably throw some yeast and spices in with some yeast first of the week.  I love hard cider.. WOOHOO!

edit:  the garbage disposal is a unit attached to a table, used only on apples once a year, no food waste, ever so works perfect.

Edited by FrozenInTime, September 15, 2017 - 07:00 PM.

• KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks