Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Is it OK to shim the PTO clutch to get clearance for adjustment.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 09:12 AM

When I disassembled the clutch it looked like it was not adjusted properly. Now that I am trying to adjust it there is not enough clearance. It looks like the springs on the clutch plate have collapsed to the point where the plates are nearly contacting even without putting tension on the springs. My plan is to shim the driven plate out with 1" ID shim washers on the shaft and then use the clutch adjustment springs to pull it back into the recommended clearance as per a normal install. I feel this should work as long as the bearing is fully seated on the shaft after the shims are added. Anyone got any advice?
Thanks

Edited by JDBrian, June 25, 2011 - 09:12 AM.
typo

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 09:36 AM

I have done similar myself & works fine. Just be sure not to shim any more than absolutely needed and you should be fine.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 02:43 PM

I have done similar myself & works fine. Just be sure not to shim any more than absolutely needed and you should be fine.

I used a .030 shim and it worked fine. I was able to adjust it down to .o18 and when I tested it with a battery I got a nice sharp snap when it engaged. I engaged it 3 or 4 times then checked the adjustments again. It looks good to go.