• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JeffreyK OFFLINE  

JeffreyK
  • Member No: 72456
  • 9 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 03:20 PM

Well I just had to do it. I got tired of when I wanted to mow the yard the battery would be dead on my lawn tractor. I had decided I wanted one that was pull start so Craigslist here I come. I happened across a Manorway with the mower deck for 175 dollars. Boy that seemed high at first, but the more I looked and keep looking at new lawn tractors with a 30" deck the better the price looked. So July I emailed (that is the only contact) and got no reply. Then after having to jump start my current one again, I went looking and here was the ad again. So emailed and this time a reply 2 days later. That was a good day, he called me back, hooked up the trailer, and off I go. No quibble, just paid the price, loaded up, and back home I go. I will say that whoever had this Manorway took fairly good care of it. It turns easier than my old MTD lawn tractor even if it weights 2 twice as much. A little time after I got home, I had mentally thanked whoever downloaded the owners manual here on GT Talk. That manual came in handy. However I noticed that the parts list and how the PTO assembled and mine are different. My model 13989 serial 00327 had the PTO bottom half attached to the bearing with a nut (that was broken off flush) not a screw. In thinking long and hard I have a feeling that the 69 may have had a grease fitting at the bottom of that part for the needle bearing. Well 3/4 of the needles where missing and no surprise, that is NLA even from the manufacturer. So now for the hunt for a bushing. Thank goodness for folks who save and sell old parts, have 2 the right size coming in next week.  Now to fix the lower half, why not do what Ariens did and use a screw. Since the treaded area was already drilled out, it was easy to thread, find a bolt in my hoard, and attach it. That was needed so when you disengaged the pivot would pull the lower half down. I have a feeling that the mower hadn't been run for sometime as there was no way to disengage it. Now to the motor, it would pop but no run. The former owner had taken it on trade for some work he did and just flipped it. if he had gotten it running I probably would have had to pay more for it. In pulling the rope the unit refused to start, so off came the top. Cleaned everything in the ignition, weak spark. Then I noticed that the wire connector was broken off. The contact for the spark plug was laying beside it, so to the scrap pile and cut the connector off a scrap motor. Well that fixed the spark, but then the dogs wouldn't engage on the pull start. That was easy to find since the cup had broken. Back to the scrap pile to find a Tecumseh dog engager. Wasted time trying to get a new one to work, then it clicked. Why not make the old cup work like a new one! I will say then about the old dog cup, they are extremely hard. It was like drilling solid chrome. Hole drilled, screw and 2 nuts later fixed. Now for the fun, motor only runs for a few seconds, replace the intake seal at motor as saw flame from backfire. Still not running, so time to go thru the carb. Waiting to do that after next week as out of town and I don't want to forget how to reassemble it. But in working thru this I got to thinking that shouldn't there be a fuel shutoff? The manual doesn't show one, but guess what, there is one. That was only 1/2 way turned on! Too late, I had the carb off so I will go thru it anyway as fuel leaks around the main adjustment screw.

Well enough for now. I will add notes as I go forward with this project to get it running. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0001.JPG
  • IMG_0002.JPG
  • IMG_0003.JPG
  • IMG_0004.JPG
  • IMG_0228.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, tiretrx and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,759 Thanks
  • 44,544 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 03:43 PM

Cool little tyke! I, for one, would be figuring out why the battery is always dead cause I hate pull starts!

• boyscout862, JeffreyK and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#3 JeffreyK OFFLINE  

JeffreyK
  • 9 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 04:12 PM

Well KennyP I figured out the battery issue is that I just don't run the MTD enough. Well also that batteries don't last like they use to. I am not sure who built it, but this one I just got reminds me of my Grandfather old Ford lawn tractor he purchased in the 70's. Sort of brought back those memories. Funny how little things make us remember the years.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,055 Thanks
  • 3,324 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 05:41 PM

Cool little machine.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,759 Thanks
  • 44,544 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 06:05 PM

Well KennyP I figured out the battery issue is that I just don't run the MTD enough. Well also that batteries don't last like they use to. I am not sure who built it, but this one I just got reminds me of my Grandfather old Ford lawn tractor he purchased in the 70's. Sort of brought back those memories. Funny how little things make us remember the years.

I've started buying my L&G batteries at TSC. They are made by Exide.

• boyscout862 and cootertom have said thanks

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,906 Thanks
  • 4,964 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 06:22 PM

Great looking tractor. I often thought the Manorway would be fun to play with.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 2,098 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 11:17 PM

I've started buying my L&G batteries at TSC. They are made by Exide.

That's what I've run for years, advance auto has one that's pretty good but costs more.

#8 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 2,098 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 11:18 PM

Great looking tractor. I often thought the Manorway would be fun to play with.

I would love one but everyone thinks they are made of gold around here.

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,906 Thanks
  • 4,964 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 04:49 AM

I would love one but everyone thinks they are made of gold around here.

I haven't seen any yet around here. Which makes them more interesting.

#10 JeffreyK OFFLINE  

JeffreyK
  • 9 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 24, 2017 - 06:22 PM

Well good and bad news. I got the Tecumseh VH70 running. However about the time it was doing well, bang! So I pulled it and found the connecting rod broke off at the end. Who would be a good company to look for all the parts to rebuild a old Tecumseh. Model VH7-=135005 Serial 8330-16803.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,759 Thanks
  • 44,544 posts

Posted September 25, 2017 - 07:39 AM

Well good and bad news. I got the Tecumseh VH70 running. However about the time it was doing well, bang! So I pulled it and found the connecting rod broke off at the end. Who would be a good company to look for all the parts to rebuild a old Tecumseh. Model VH7-=135005 Serial 8330-16803.

Try this guy: http://gardentractor...parts-supplies/

• JeffreyK said thank you