Garden Tractor Forums banner
3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  1400 medfra 
#1 ·
sterday, 04:44 PM

Hello all,

1400 medfra here. I'm new to GTT and posted some pix of my Bolens a few week back and listed a couple of its problems. A few folks complemented me on it's nice condition. I was quite elated as it looks very nice and came with a snow blower, deck, tiller and all the parts to power the attachments. Check my post dated 8-29 2017.

Today was a bad day in mudville it shook, stuttered, stalled and produced a very loud backfire. Now it won't start. It's a 1400G-1463 with a Tecumseh oh140 - 160027D. ser# 3018E any thoughts, suggestion? Where do I start to diagnose, should I bother to fix it or just repower.

Any input is apprectated!

Bill

#3 ·
I'm having a bit of trouble navigating this forum. Maybe I'm too old, or my 2009 Dell, operating with Windows Vista just can't maneuver as nimbly as the newer machines. I know I can't maneuver as nimbly as I once was able to.

I find that my Ford Yahoo forum is less complicated. Must be an older format.

Are there any other members having trouble?

Thanks for letting me know I posted twice.

Bill

#5 ·
Hi Doxey,

Thanks for the contact!

For the first week that I was a member I was convinced It was me, just an old fella with fat fingers tripping over the keyboard trying to operate a nine year old outdated computer.......but golly,,,,, when I post on my Ford tractor forum or my Inca table saw forum...... .Shazaam......the very next day - or sometimes - within hours of my post......I'd get a positive response, either from a moderator or a member.

Oh well....c'est la vie

Guess It's time to upgrade the computer or the tractors.

Regards,

Bill

P.S. It seems the problem with my tec oh140 is that I either bent the ex valve (not likely as it still moves with heavy thumb pressure) or dropped the valve guide or the valve seat dropped out. I will know more in a few days. Will try to post more info in a couple weeks.

#7 ·
Check compression.. If you don't have a tester, pull the plug and put your finger over the hole.. Turn the engine by hand and if you feel pressure changing you dodged a bullet and your rod is intact.. Next up I'd pop the flywheel shroud off and ceck to see if the flywheel key isn't sheared..

Fire back with info..

#10 ·
Valve seats sometimes come loose on Tecumseh engines and as earlier stated the coils do go bad. Easiest thing to check first is spark. Pull the plug and put it in the boot, lay it against the head and crank over. If it has spark then check compression. Most likely one of those two items
Make sure plug is grounded on the head before spinning motor. The SSI nodule does not like being charged without being able to dissipate the energy through the plug, it can burn up the module if it's not grounded when spinning motor.

It could be the exhaust valve has dropped the seat. The OH160 motors are more prone to it, but could have happened to your 14, I've replaced on myself on my 16. It maybe hard to do a compression test, these have a compression release valve at low rpm. Easy way to check it pull plug and spin motor over a couple times with finger over the hole.

I was going to say a possible broken rocker arm, but it sounds like you have already pulled the cover off and checked that.

Could also be the pins on the flywheel has came out or the module has shifted positions and will not fire. Maybe the magnets have came lose from inside flywheel. Neither is very common, but possible.

#11 ·
I would check compression and if that's good, check the spark. Those engines are notorious for ignition problems.
Thank Bud,

This engine is equipped with a compression release on the cam, so trying to obtain an accurate compression reading is a tad problematic. I'll post more info as I acquire the correct parts and gaskets.

Regards,

Bill

#12 ·
Make sure plug is grounded on the head before spinning motor. The SSI nodule does not like being charged without being able to dissipate the energy through the plug, it can burn up the module if it's not grounded when spinning motor.

It could be the exhaust valve has dropped the seat. The OH160 motors are more prone to it, but could have happened to your 14, I've replaced on myself on my 16. It maybe hard to do a compression test, these have a compression release valve at low rpm. Easy way to check it pull plug and spin motor over a couple times with finger over the hole.

I was going to say a possible broken rocker arm, but it sounds like you have already pulled the cover off and checked that.

Could also be the pins on the flywheel has came out or the module has shifted positions and will not fire. Maybe the magnets have came lose from inside flywheel. Neither is very common, but possible.
Thanks Tahoe

Sorry for the tardy response. I went to Long Island to attend the 75th A.M.R.C.A. nationals. Four days of Great racing and marvelous weather. We had a blast!

I do believe the engine dropped the ex valve seat. I'll know more in a couple weeks when I start the autopsy. Do you know of any reputable parts suppliers? I.E. gaskets,seats, valves, pcv's?

#13 ·
Thanks Tahoe

Sorry for the tardy response. I went to Long Island to attend the 75th A.M.R.C.A. nationals. Four days of Great racing and marvelous weather. We had a blast!

I do believe the engine dropped the ex valve seat. I'll know more in a couple weeks when I start the autopsy. Do you know of any reputable parts suppliers? I.E. gaskets,seats, valves, pcv's?
When I did my head on 2011, I got all my parts from Partstree.com

Check with Brian our sponsor at Bolens parts and supplies, he maybe able to hook you up with the proper parts.

you will need head gaskets, the intake and exhaust seal, 3 little O rings for rocker box bolts, I think there is 2 O rings under rocker box and might as well replace the 4 O rings on the push rod tubes.

#14 ·
When I did my head on 2011, I got all my parts from Partstree.com

Check with Brian our sponsor at Bolens parts and supplies, he maybe able to hook you up with the proper parts.

you will need head gaskets, the intake and exhaust seal, 3 little O rings for rocker box bolts, I think there is 2 O rings under rocker box and might as well replace the 4 O rings on the push rod tubes.
I just PMed Bob. I hope he can help and I'm eager to hear back from him soon.

If I strike out I'll try Partstree.

Thanks again,

Bill

#15 ·
I can supply you with the head gasket and upper cylinder o-ring kit both instock

http://bolenspartsandsupplies.com/tecumseh/genuine-tecumseh-hh-oh-series-head-gasket-fits-bolens-sears-suburban-34225a/

http://bolenspartsandsupplies.com/bolens-parts/genuine-tecumseh-hh-oh-series-valve-cover-o-ring-kit-bolens-sears-suburban-35075a/

Valves and seats are NLA, you can resurface the valves and seats if there is not much damage, only other way I can offer new seats is with a new cylinder head.

If needed I do sell the Tecumseh spring compressor tool for the valves

http://bolenspartsandsupplies.com/small-engine-parts/tecumseh-ohv-engine-valve-spring-compressor-670237a-bolens-sears-suburban/

#16 ·

Attachments

#17 ·
I can supply you with the head gasket and upper cylinder o-ring kit both instock

http://bolenspartsandsupplies.com/tecumseh/genuine-tecumseh-hh-oh-series-head-gasket-fits-bolens-sears-suburban-34225a/

http://bolenspartsandsupplies.com/bolens-parts/genuine-tecumseh-hh-oh-series-valve-cover-o-ring-kit-bolens-sears-suburban-35075a/

Valves and seats are NLA, you can resurface the valves and seats if there is not much damage, only other way I can offer new seats is with a new cylinder head.

http://bolenspartsandsupplies.com/small-engine-parts/tecumseh-ohv-engine-valve-spring-compressor-670237a-bolens-sears-suburban/

Hi Brian,

Parts arrived at the speed of light, Thanks for the prompt service!

I have the head off and it is at the machine shop.

I have a couple question about the valve cover O ring kit.

#1 Do you know what the two small screws are for, or where they go?

#2 The kit came with two medium size O rings, one is black and pliable, the other one is white, quite hard and rather rigid that I assume go under the lower valve spring retainer but which valve gets what color?

Can you shed any light on this or direct me to someone that can help?

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Brian,

Parts arrived at the speed of light, Thanks for the prompt service!

I have the head off and it is at the machine shop.

I have a couple question about the valve cover O ring kit.

#1 Do you know what the two small screws are for, or where they go?

#2 The kit came with two medium size O rings, one is black and pliable, the other one is white, quite hard and rather rigid that I assume go under the lower valve spring retainer but which valve gets what color?

Can you shed any light on this or direct me to someone that can help?
-The small screws are for the top breather plate the breather tube sticks into to.

-The white o-ring is for the exhaust side, the Black one is for the intake

Those two size o-rings in question are #'s 25 & 25A in this diagram

Product Organism Art Font Urban design

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.