• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beardo OFFLINE  

Beardo
  • Member No: 87460
  • 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 01:53 AM

Tried starting the 646 a couple weeks ago and it wouldn't start. Wouldn't crank amp gauge will move but starter does nothin. I rewired it since the po didn't do a very good wire job. Replaced the ignition switch to a oem ignition and replaced the starter solenoid because the gear wasn't kicking out. Now I get the same results no crank but amp gauge will move. But I can jump the solenoid and the starter will spin and the gear will kickout. I'm getting power at the 3rd terminal on the solenoid the little one of the ignition. I checked the grounds at the safety switches. And just to be sure I made a jumper wire and grounded that right to the frame off the solenoid. Fuses are good. I'm at a loss on what to check now. This has me stunped. If anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated!

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,563 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 05:29 AM

To me it sounds like your new solenoid is bad but maybe another member will be able to walk you though other options 

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,799 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 07:44 AM

Use a volt meter to test each point along the starting circuit. Most times these problems are a bad ground. Use a volt meter to test the ground of the solenoid. Then test it with an ohm meter.  Good Luck, Rick

#4 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • Member No: 53022
  • 45 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 09:15 AM

You need a volt meter. You must see battery voltage at the solenoid key switch post, then at the starter when the key is in start.

But, your starter is most likely bad. You can rebuild it and you can maybe get it to work if you sand clean your armature commicators plus ensure you have enough brushes meat left.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

#5 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • Member No: 53022
  • 45 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 09:25 AM

Before all of the above you need battery cables with battery lug ends that are clean from the battery to the whole path to the starter. 90% of what I see is horrible wiring, especially for the starter and ground. 6 guage minimum and all battery lug ends. How else is the 100 Amp inrush to make it.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you