• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,227 Thanks
  • 30,828 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 09:38 PM

The neighbor's Dixie Chopper I put in a new head gasket seems to have worse issues.  The head gasket WAS blown at the bottom and through the oil port, but after replacing it and firing it up, there is still an oil leak, but it's back about the 2nd cooling fin from the main block. Before it had oil coming from the head gasket so I couldn't tell oil was also coming from a 2nd spot.  The cylinder evidently has a crack in the base of the cylinder and the crack must run clear through the oil galley.  I can still hear a compression leak on shutdown.  Has anyone seen or known of this happening?   It's a new one on me!  This engine was so gunked up in the fin area that it HAD to be running awfully hot.

• KennyP said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,227 Thanks
  • 30,828 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 11:02 PM

Tired as I am, I had to go back to the shop for a better look.  I used a small mirror and a flashlight & peeked under the cylinder.  At the 3rd fin channel, it was washed spotlessly clean, with all the others being cruddy looking.  I fired it up and couldn't make out where the oil was coming from due to oil mist covering my mirror in short order.  Definitely not coming from the head gasket as I can clearly see it is dry, and the oil is coming out way back from the head.  With engine off, in the washed groove, I can't really see a crack, but there is a shadowy line kind of up the side a bit just out of clear sight.  

• KennyP said thank you

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,562 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 05:18 AM

I wonder if they cast the cylinder in the' lost-foam " casting or some new type that seem to make so nice products compared to years ago . Would you be able to get some pictures for us of that crack ? 

#4 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,309 Thanks
  • 1,473 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 08:10 AM

I haven't seen a Kohler Command block crack i have seen several single Courage with cracks.

• olcowhand said thank you