• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,563 Thanks
  • 45,000 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 07:22 AM

I got this as a freebie with the Sears GT3000 a while back. Thought it was locked up, but I messed with it yesterday and reached under and could turn the blade. Seems it was just stuck some. Pulled the plug and squirted some lube towards the cylinder, then started pulling the rope. It was not wanting to retract well, so I put some lube on it. Before long, it was working pretty good. So I put the plug back in (it was a nice tan color and looked good). Shot a little carb cleaner in it and it fired off. Topped the oil off and looked in the fuel tank. It looked real clean, so added some gas. A few pulls later and it was running. Mowed some with it, no smoke and it purred along just fine. The blade was shot, so I bought a new one for it. Cleaned it up some. It's ready to sell!

DSCN2988.JPG

Only thing I don't have for it is the bagger.

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,198 Thanks
  • 8,902 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 07:58 AM

Check your town dump. Baggers show up at ours with dead mowers quite often. Usual culprit is they hit a rock and it won't work anymore. Straighten the crank or a new shear key and away it goes. Nice save Kenny. Good Luck, Rick
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,563 Thanks
  • 45,000 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 08:12 AM

Check your town dump. Baggers show up at ours with dead mowers quite often. Usual culprit is they hit a rock and it won't work anymore. Straighten the crank or a new shear key and away it goes. Nice save Kenny. Good Luck, Rick

They won't let you take anything back out!

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,198 Thanks
  • 8,902 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 08:42 AM

They won't let you take anything back out!

That is rediculous! The smart towns in my area have swap sheds. If something is usable it goes into the swap shed. If you want it, take it. We have a liberal return policy with triple your money back.

Reuse is much more enviromentally friendly than recycling. The town saves thousands of dollars each year in disposal costs because people are taking things out of the waste stream. It also makes alot of people happy with their deals. I picked up a jig saw and a Craftsman Pad sander at our swap shed on Saturday. Our town is also smart enough that tires up to 16" are free to dispose of but it is a limit of 6 per week. Other towns charge and end up with tires dumped on the sides of small roads. The clean up costs of dumped tires end up being way more than the cost to dispose of the tires.

Good Luck, Rick
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,392 Thanks
  • 3,018 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 09:37 AM

I bribe our local junk yard which handles most of our local home scrap. 30 pack of cheap beer and I could walk off with pretty much anything in the piles or the yard.

I only go down after and during the local town has there cleanup but I always bring back a bunch of good crap. Last year I snagged 9 push mowers and made 7 of them run and sold them all but the 2 I kept for myself. 

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,563 Thanks
  • 45,000 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 01:36 PM

Our little town doesn't have their own dump, goes to Tulsa!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 621 Thanks
  • 532 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 02:27 PM

I got this as a freebie with the Sears GT3000 a while back. Thought it was locked up, but I messed with it yesterday and reached under and could turn the blade. Seems it was just stuck some. Pulled the plug and squirted some lube towards the cylinder, then started pulling the rope. It was not wanting to retract well, so I put some lube on it. Before long, it was working pretty good. So I put the plug back in (it was a nice tan color and looked good). Shot a little carb cleaner in it and it fired off. Topped the oil off and looked in the fuel tank. It looked real clean, so added some gas. A few pulls later and it was running. Mowed some with it, no smoke and it purred along just fine. The blade was shot, so I bought a new one for it. Cleaned it up some. It's ready to sell!

Only thing I don't have for it is the bagger.

I'm glad to see you were able to revive it. I have a Deere PB14 mower and it, of course, does not have the bagger. They are a pain to use with that flap closed on a rear discharge chute. I have a bungee cord to hold the flap open far enough to allow the cut grass to exit. JD made a chute to replace the bagger but I've never seen one to buy or trade for. My PB14 has a Kaw OHV engine with pressure lube on the oiling system.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,563 Thanks
  • 45,000 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 02:47 PM

This one has the discharge chute when not mulching or bagging!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 621 Thanks
  • 532 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 04:46 PM

I just realized you have a female mower, one of the quite rare JO DEERE's. :thumbs:

• KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,563 Thanks
  • 45,000 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 05:11 PM

I just realized you have a female mower, one of the quite rare JO DEERE's. :thumbs:

One of John's sisters!

#11 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,392 Thanks
  • 3,018 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 05:34 PM

Ouch!

http://www.ebay.com/...5.c100005.m1851

• KennyP said thank you