31 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 10:11 PM

In terms of cosmetics...

Do you like it going for the "survivor/work clothes" theme showing the scratched dents and bruises from earning its keep, or restored to showroom condition?

Honestly myself, i prefer the survivors, the dents scratches bangs and bruises, there's stories that go along with them. It's just more natural to see in a machine if that age.

Im all for mechanical restorations to preserve the machines useful life though!
  • wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862, KC9KAS and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,976 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 10:26 PM

They both have their merits. My SS16 is still in its original turd yellow suit.  My SS12 had some gawd awful tremclad blue applied at some point so I had to cover it up as it was so ugly,,,it would scare the buzzards off a gut truck.

• KennyP, holdenboy1960 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,714 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 11:06 PM

I can appreciate tractors in all forms from showroom to fence row. With that said I like to use my tractors, but want them to look good too. So I try to fix the worst parts unless those are falling off already haha. If I do a restoration it involves a rattlecan, and these days I am less picky about minor dents and more concerned about holding off the rust of death.

Brown primer is good if you are not trying to restore a rust bucket but trying to keep the new parts blending in lol.

However, I often skip primer and go straight to the finish color in multiple coats if its an unrestored original paint tractor so when it does get scratched it does not reveal primer, which bugs me to no end for some reason.

One last note, I never clear coat my stuff, helps with touch up painting later.
  • CRFarnsworth, boyscout862, holdenboy1960 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 old coot OFFLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 86 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 03:14 AM

both my bolens 1886 and my JD lx255  have battle scars for sure...along with my push mowers...if i had a older restored GT or pusher i dont think i would want to use it at all . and my wife wouldn't like it to much if I just had a mower sitting there looking show room and taking up space

• KC9KAS and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#5 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,858 Thanks
  • 1,247 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 04:58 AM

I like'm Quite. So I can hear when something Breaks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0306.JPG

• KennyP, old coot, holdenboy1960 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,778 Thanks
  • 4,879 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 05:26 AM

Paint has one purpose for me, slow down the rust process. I prefer my tractor useable, shiny or not.
  • KennyP, Leonard VanCamp, MGP59DB and 1 other said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,421 Thanks
  • 7,230 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 06:00 AM

None of my tractors are restored , though the JD 318 got painted once but now thinking about it that was done over 25 years ago . And the PK  got painted when I put that together , slightly newer paint job , only around 20 years old lol . Even then it was painted to  be user , big  dents just banged out a little , smaller ones left go , power washed , primed and painted . The two tractors that were my grandfather's the Standard Walsh and David Bradley Tri-Trac only get limited use ( read , just for fun )  the Walsh he painted when he got it in the early forties , if it was done by someone else that might have been one for me to restore . The Tri-Trac though isn't in showroom condition but very nice as it is . I enjoy looking at restored  tractors at the shows knowing all the time effort and $$$ to get them that way . Maybe some day I'll have one of those 

• KennyP, boyscout862, MolonLabe and 1 other said thanks

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,211 Thanks
  • 9,170 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 06:34 AM

I guess it depends. I appreciate a nice coat of rust/patina over IH red. However, I think spot rust coming through a cheap original paint job looks gross. 

Wear looks fine, abuse not so much.

• boyscout862, holdenboy1960 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#9 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 07:04 AM

Thanks guys, it looks kinda like we all have similar opinions on what GTs are for... work!

I do still like restored tractors, it's just a different thing...
  • old coot and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#10 dualresponse1731 ONLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 215 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 07:16 AM

Both conditions are good.

I'm at the point where I value good mechanical condition over looks, but inevitably, good condition inspires looks. Loose bushings, worn out engines, last leg belts/pulleys/ etc... all add up to the point where the tractor can be one big wrench tossing cursefest. At the end of the day, I am using the tractor to mow the lawn so I can enjoy the day, not using the day to fix the tractor, so the lawn may or may not get mowed.

Seats get old, they crack and absorb water. You sit on them. The cold water squeezes out and soaks your butt. Fun? No.

After years of cobbling together pieces of worn out junk, I am finding it more enjoyable to invest in the tractor on the front end, going through it thoroughly to get it more dependable than just taking out in the yard, only to mow 1/2 of it, to have it break, and then have to somehow tow it back.

When  the tractor is  stripped down to do this, my silly instinct is to go ahead and paint all the tins while I can, knowing that the tractor will eventually get scratched again. It's still always a work in progress, but I like them to look like they did in the original sales brochures with the 1960's families driving them across their suburban yards. 

I am also not afraid to use it like it was intended. Paint is cheap!

Edited by dualresponse1731, September 08, 2017 - 07:17 AM.

• KennyP, boyscout862, MolonLabe and 2 others have said thanks

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,211 Thanks
  • 9,170 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 07:38 AM

When  the tractor is  stripped down to do this, my silly instinct is to go ahead and paint all the tins while I can, knowing that the tractor will eventually get scratched again.

Does that have to include block sanding, epoxy paint and clear coat?

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#12 dualresponse1731 ONLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 215 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 07:59 AM

Does that have to include block sanding, epoxy paint and clear coat?

Nope! LOL! :D

It all depends though- Usually there will be a bunch of rust on something, so sandblast first and paint. Clear usually gets me into trouble with application and upkeep. Recent tractor I did I was wetsanding/ clear/ etc with spray cans for the fun of trying to do a nice job with spray cans. I would probably not do that again. It's easy to get carried away. There was a point where I was going after a showroom finish most cars wouldn't have, but I was laughing at myself as I did it knowing it would be covered in grass/dust in short order! I guess it's all about what you enjoy doing. When I'm in bodywork/ paint mode, I'm in bodywork/paint mode. Right now, I'm in "I don't even want to mess with the tractor" mode. I'll start it and use it and it had better run because I don't want to mess with it. It is nice to look at though. Looking at the hood (which I did blocksand pretty smooth) while mowing, even covered in a light layer of dust, brings enjoyment when the light hits it. Looking forward to snowblower season- knowing tractor will get scratched from chains/etc during use. Same goes for snowblower- was pristine after restoration, now blackened by exhaust and impeller all scraped, but I know it's solid. All part of the life cycle of the piece.

Edited by dualresponse1731, September 08, 2017 - 08:07 AM.

• Alc, LilysDad and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,909 Thanks
  • 2,298 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 08:16 AM

I like paint!

Getting ready to paint my old disk and seed drill next.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170503_193414.jpg
  • 20170420_195839.jpg
  • 20170807_202232.jpg
  • 20170705_182647.jpg
  • IMG_6899.jpg

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 08:36 AM

My collection has some of both, fully restored trailer queens to show case what these looked like when new and I also have original paint ones I use for work that have been gone through mechanically with motors rebuilt just no new paint on them

• Alc, CRFarnsworth and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#15 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,309 Thanks
  • 1,988 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 08:46 AM

I can appreciate tractors in all forms from showroom to fence row. With that said I like to use my tractors, 

My collection has some of both, fully restored trailer queens to show case what these looked like when new and I also have original paint ones I use for work that have been gone through mechanically with motors rebuilt just no new paint on them

Yep what they said.    Most important is what makes you happy.      Rick