• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Redmanriggs39 OFFLINE  

Redmanriggs39
  • Member No: 88245
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 12:38 AM

I have a Briggs and Stratton 25 hp engine that I'm going to put on my Troy built zero turn but before I can get the other pulley that was on my Kohler I need to somehow remove the stubborn drive pulley on the B&S I have tried a gear puller and heating it up with a propane torch I'm at the end of my rope with thing all I know to do is cut it off with a grinder unless there is some trick I'm leaving out to get it removed has anyone had this same particular pulley removal problem?

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,566 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 05:02 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum!  Is this the long double pulley?  I usually have no problem with those.  Once the center bolt at the bottom is out, they usually slide off.

#3 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

BrokenTractor
  • Member No: 69513
  • 15 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 05:20 AM

Hello,

I have a riding tractor with a 14.5HP B&S engine. The drive shaft is vertical. That connects to a pulley. I think this is a double pulley. So in order

to take the pulley off there is a hex nut that needs to be turned. I could not do it because every time I turned the nut the pulley would turn.

So I took a piece of rope and wrapped it around the pulley and tied it off on the frame. I was able to get this very tight and then with a socket wrench and

a piece of pipe over the end of the wrench ( for leverage ) I was able to free the nut.

I think this is what you are talking about?

Jim

#4 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,882 Thanks
  • 995 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 06:27 AM

I have a Briggs and Stratton 25 hp engine that I'm going to put on my Troy built zero turn but before I can get the other pulley that was on my Kohler I need to somehow remove the stubborn drive pulley on the B&S I have tried a gear puller and heating it up with a propane torch I'm at the end of my rope with thing all I know to do is cut it off with a grinder unless there is some trick I'm leaving out to get it removed has anyone had this same particular pulley removal problem?

Yep I have had similar problems. I have an engine with a stuck pulley on it and I had the wheel puller on it , torch on it, been spraying it with lube. Its not budging. I think we are victims of what happens when a tractor sits outside in the rain  and the pulley and shaft rusted together. 

On another note I had another one that was stuck and it did finally come off. Took a few days but same procedure as above however I kept the wheel puller on the pulley the whole time and allowed it to stay tight , on occasion I would spray lube and "tap" the back of the wheel puller, not just a tap , but a tap tap tap ...tap tap tap ...spray again and walk away. Later come back give it a few tap tap taps and maybe some heat ...spray and walk away . Then I went back to it and went to tighten the wheel puller and it just broke lose like its been sitting there waiting for me. The whole time it was under pressure from the wheel puller and I heated it and let it cool several times though out the process and repetitively kept spraying lube...

OH btw I am also using an impact wrench on the wheel puller and I would give it a budugga dugga from time to time too. Be careful with wheel pullers and impact guns . The impact gun it strong enough to brake your tool and or the pulley, Wear safety glasses. 

I am sure if I do the same I'll get my next pulley off but its on an engine I don't want so I don't care to at the moment. 

• Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,999 Thanks
  • 8,781 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 07:07 AM

Welcome to GTT. Good advice above. I want to add one experience that I once had. I backed off a set screw and tried to pull off a pulley. It would not come. After fighting with it for a while, I decided to completely remove the set screw. When I removed it, there was another one still in the hole. When I removed the lower set screw, the pulley came off. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, MolonLabe, John Arsenault and 1 other said thanks

#6 Redmanriggs39 OFFLINE  

Redmanriggs39
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 07:54 PM

I haven't tried the impact wrench on the gear puller or tapping it. If the pulley and the key is rusted together then my best bet is to use a grinder and cut the pulley off

#7 Redmanriggs39 OFFLINE  

Redmanriggs39
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 07, 2017 - 10:58 PM

Ok when I used a gear puller I was using a good brand one a posi lock and the part that anchors into the shaft part kept sliding around so it wasn't center when trying to pull it off do y'all know of something that I can use so it doesn't slide around ??

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,999 Thanks
  • 8,781 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 07:48 AM

Ok when I used a gear puller I was using a good brand one a posi lock and the part that anchors into the shaft part kept sliding around so it wasn't center when trying to pull it off do y'all know of something that I can use so it doesn't slide around ??

If the engine shaft has internal threads, you can take a short bolt that screws into it and modify it. Drill or grind the top of the bolt so that the puller screw will lock into the center and not wander. If it isn't tapped, try a socket that fits over the shaft but isn't deep enough to touch the pulley. A 1/2" drive socket drive end should be concave engough to hold it centered. It will only allow you to pull the amount of the gap between the pulley and the socket but it is a start. Keep soaking it with PB Blaster. Good Luck, Rick

BTW I keep a box of old junky sockets for just these kind of problems. I modify them as I need to. I have to laugh at the guys that damage good sockets for a special job. The big boxes of sockets that sell for $10 at swap meets are well worth the investment.

#9 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,019 Thanks
  • 1,487 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 08:43 AM

don't feel bad I have a cast iron panzer drive pulley that I have been trying to remove for over a year now, everything possible has been done to try to remove it, it's been heated, the set screws have been drilled out, different pullers, impact guns you name we tried it. sucks it's a hard to find pulley. finally had to call it a loser