• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sanfilippo OFFLINE  

Sanfilippo
  • Member No: 88221
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 04:39 PM

Looking for any info anyone may have on this sears 48" deck. It has 7 total pulleys. 3arnor& 4 idler/tensioner I have a longer post in this forum. I just forgot to post pic

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0499.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,686 Thanks
  • 43,728 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 05:13 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum.

That deck is probably in with the tractor files. Get a few pics of the tractor. Also, the model # is usually under the seat on these.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,608 Thanks
  • 8,574 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 06:44 PM

Welcome to GTT. I posted to your other thread before seeing this. I would call that a 6 pulley deck. It looks like the pulley to the right(under the cover) must be a double pulley but still counted as one. As Kenny said check our Manuals Section. The belt routing looks simple, The lower belt goes around the blade spindles and is tensioned by the left idler. The right idler pulley tensions the belt to the engine which is the upper level belt. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 05, 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#4 Sanfilippo OFFLINE  

Sanfilippo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 12:45 AM

ooopps I posted the wrong pic  I will post the correct pic shorthy-have to do it from my phone. 

#5 Sanfilippo OFFLINE  

Sanfilippo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 01:02 AM

As you can see there are 4 idler pulleys and 3 arbor. Two arbors don't have pulleys attached in this pic. I'm sorry but there are no numbers on the deck orbinfer the seat or anywhere except on the 16hp B&S motorcIMG_0501.JPG
  • KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#6 Sanfilippo OFFLINE  

Sanfilippo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 01:26 AM

Now hat I have the correct pic and am back on my computer and can add some detail. I posted this somewhere else on this site so if I am being redundant I apologise.  As I recieved it this deck appears to be unmodified perse. It could have some some wrong arbor shafts or pulleys. As it is the two arbors to the right(passenger side) are tall with single pulleys. The arbor shaft to the left is short. The idler cloest the the left is also lower and is attached to a bellcrank that would move the pulley the engage the belt and thus act as a clutch. The smallest (furthest back) is fixed.  The one diagonal to the smallest is on a spring and also on a bellcrank that can be lossened with a bar on the far left I assume to allow belt changing. The remaining idler (most right) is fixed. I would assume that there are two belts, but there are no double pulleys. Also there  are only two lower level pulleys(one arbor and one idler on a belcrank)but that gives me no way to get to the motor pulley.So I am stumped.One or more of the pulleys must be wrong.  I went to the Sears repair shop hopeing they could shed some light on this But even after showing tem the picture(the right one)they printed me some manual pages showing a 6 pulley deck designed to be used with an electric clutch which is the only thing I can find reference to online. Must have looked at a hundred 6 pulley decks. Not one with 7!!  And I thought this would be a simple. If only there was a model # Thanks for looking and any help you can provide. Please ask any question that you have

• chieffan said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,686 Thanks
  • 43,728 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 05:14 AM

With that tension handle (on the LH side), I would say this deck is for a tractor with no Electric PTO.

• chieffan said thank you

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,177 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 04:52 PM

Worked on a few tractors that had that type of quick connect belt tensioner. John Deere L130 with the 46" deck has it and my old Cub Cadet 2165 had one and the 46" MTD Yard Man deck that I rebuilt a couple months ago had one also.They all have electric PTO.

That's just part of a Quick Attach deck. It's a pretty cool feature that allows you to take the tension off of the belt when you want to remove the deck or change belts.

Here's a pic of my Cub deck from a few years back. MTD and AYP both made similar mechanisms. Most of them use 1 long belt and 1 short belt to the PTO.

http://gardentractor...956177_7818.jpg

Looking closely at your Pic I'm 90% certain that the idler pulley on the Right was added. It's not the same pulley and the bolt is Barely long enough to hold it.

AYP 181579 or 186353 is the deck numbers. Used on a bunch of Craftsman,Husqvarna and Poulan mowers.

Here's 2 pics of how it should look like.

$(KGrHqJHJFMFChDnU9oEBQt-G8Iy0g~~60_45.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, September 06, 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,561 Thanks
  • 5,334 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 05:11 PM

Yeah-  I had a few of those CC 48" decks and they were belt-munchers!  Blew them almost annually.  The quick-release is a nice thing as it makes pulling the belt off to change the (@%^@%^@#$##) :(  old one easier..  Installing the rear deck pins was the challenge in the whole operation..  My deck loved to accumulate grass even with high lift blades so I had to constantly clean it..  I sure don't miss those machines!   :wave:  :wave:

**Check your belt tension if and when you get it back on your machine as I believe the quick-release bar should be straight and not bent..  If the tension is loose the belts will slip and viola-->  new belt time..   :wallbanging:

Good luck Pilgrim &  :welcome:

• EricFromPa said thank you

#10 Sanfilippo OFFLINE  

Sanfilippo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 11:27 AM

I appriciate the help and I hate to "argue".....however the decks pictured are designed to work with an electric deck clutch I think.  This mower does mount to the tractor  and there is a cable under the tractor where the cable housing attaches to a bracket on the deck and the cable which ends with a stout spring attaches to the large bell crank. When tension is applied to the cable via a lever on the tractor dash the idler pulley on the bell crank is forced into the belt acting as a clutch for the deck. At least that is how it appears to me and all of this appears to be factory made. Where I am stumped is that there is only one other pulley on the same plane (lower) as bell crank idler and that is the left side arbor pulley.  seems that there should be a 3rd pulley  to allow the bell crank to work and get the belt back to the motor pulley. Wrong deck?? wrong Tractor??  Wrong Pulleys?? Boat anchor??  Thanks again for the help

• KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,686 Thanks
  • 43,728 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 12:49 PM

There were so many different variations at Sears that makes it hard to figure this all out.

#12 Sanfilippo OFFLINE  

Sanfilippo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 09, 2017 - 01:29 PM

i guess what i find most frustrating is that I thought some one out there would say " Hey I've got one just like that........." Seems like this on e is unique??  I'll keep after it and keep checking back  Thanks to all again

• KennyP said thank you