• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 2,695 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 06:55 PM

Although gelcoat is great stuff, it is more oriented to sealing surfaces. In the case of your gt's, I'd paint them. That's how they were originally and you won't really gain anything over paint. As for the camper, I don't know a whole lot about working with ABS. Is it waterproof once cured? That's really what understand is the real use for gelcoat. Keeps water from penetrating the underlying wood. Easiest example is a boat. Once the water soaks in, it'll never dry out and accelerate the rot.

Wife and I go to the covered bridge festival every year. Last year we went to Bridgeton and will be going back this year. Lots more crafts and such. Not so much on the knockoffs and cheap toys. We live about 40 minutes East of it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

yup. Bridgeton is my wife's favorite place of the whole thing.  I have a buddy that lives only a few miles east of Raccoon lake campground (and works there at the campground,  too) and in my visits out that way to see him in one of the other 50-1/2 weeks out of the year, I cannot believe the ghost town that Bridgeton really is... last year was a dud overall for that fest as compared to the other previous years I have been there.

I live about 130 miles NW from there.   We used to leave early and do just a day trip, but this will be either the 4th or 5th consecutive year for us to camp down there....  

on the knockoffs... I had heard that last year,later in the week, after I was back home and back to work, they had a big raid/sting operation at Mansfield on the counterfitters. I tend not to buy much of the new stuff there, I go for older often used stuff... I like the garage sale after garage sale. among the locals, better than the endless lines of vendors of new (crap) 

the far end of the main drag at Bridgeton (besides last year)  usually has some of the best of the flea market style finds. 

Among the sellers of new stuff that I always go out there for is Redbeard, he has 2 spots set up at Mansfield. heat shrink, small wire brushed in steel, stainless and brass, electrical terminals galore, general hardware, tons of varieties of zip ties,   he also  (used to have) a great deal on 4-AA battery powered Streamlight flashlights (he was "out" of them last year, I always bought at least 1 from him each year)  millions of automotive light bulbs, (194, 1157, 1156, etc)

and the food, wow.  but you gotta watch out there, like everything else some great some awful....   I try to remember to bring my "souvenir" drink cups from past years as refills are a lot cheaper that way, and most vendors sell them for the same price throughout... endless sweet tea.

wow, this wound up g oing in a different direction....  we usually stop at many of the yard sales on our way down  the 1st day we go, I am hoping that maybe this is the year I find a salvageable Kohler opposed twin or 2, and maybe a 2 stage sno blower for one of my Ariens tractors.  There is a guy about 20 minutes north of the main festivities that has a BUNCH of Cub cadet stuff,  I usually wind up at his place at least twice during the 3-4 days I typically spend down there. 2 years ago, he had a Cub Cadet push mower from about 1974 brand new in the original box, never having been run for sale....  he always has a line of Cub cadet tractors for sale, all Internationals made before the sale of Cub to MTD....  the newest he had out there was a pair of 782 D's last year among the 10 or so he was selling. he also had (I think it was) a 102 with a nice cab  especially for it being home made.  Most have a deck or a snow blade or some kind of attachment, but he doesn't have much for attachments for sale w/o a tractor.

the calendar has thrown me a curve ball the past 2 years... it always starts the 2nd Thurs of October and runs for 10 days.   The previous few years, Columbus Day fell during the middle of the fest, usually we would go down Sat-Sun-Mon-and come home either Tues or Wednesday...

​well last year and this year Columbus Day winds up falling the week before it starts. which sucks because while I have it off of work as a paid holiday, going down there then would "save" me a vacation day on the books.  going down Sat Sun Monday and Tuesday would only cost me 1 vacation day and be able to be there for 4 days.  well we are going Sun-Mon-Tue-Wed, and it is costing me 3 vacation days to do so this year, like it did last year.  

Edited by dodge trucker, September 19, 2017 - 07:01 PM.

• KennyP and dropped82 have said thanks

#17 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted September 20, 2017 - 08:54 PM

I don't have any opposed Kohlers but have a few Onans. Come on by if your interested. We usually only do one day. Typically during the week. Last year was on Thursday. We fish Raccoon quite a bit. Putting in at the Walker boat ramp. I've never heard of the guy with the Cubs. We always hit the yard sales and usually get more from them than from the festival. I found one between us and them that had cheap tools. Bought an assortment of hammers for a buck a piece. Have yet to break any of them!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#18 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 2,695 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 12:27 PM

The guy with the Cubs is about 15 miles north of town on 41.