• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,016 Thanks
  • 2,670 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 11:34 AM

When working on fiberglass, has anyone here ever recoated it with gelcoat vs. just plain old paint and primer? Just thinking out loud here.

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,991 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 11:43 AM

I think the gelcoat requires a special gun to apply. 

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 12:39 PM

Gel coat is applied to the inside of the mold when the part is made.
  • wilberj, Cat385B and dodge trucker have said thanks

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,016 Thanks
  • 2,670 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 01:04 PM

yeah I kinda remember that from high school when I worked with fiberglass a lot more than I have in recent years,  but I thought there was a form of it that could be applied to existing material? I have seen "gelcoat repair kits" for boats, but they do an extremely small area.....  I am probably gonna just prime and paint what I have the standard way and these are no show worthy machines anyhow.... but I thought maybe it would "self level" and help smooth out any sanding/leveling "defects" from the repair work and maybe fill in a couple of left over pinholes along the way.....

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,016 Thanks
  • 2,670 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 01:05 PM

I think the gelcoat requires a special gun to apply. 

yeah, I'm thinking larger nozzle than regular paint.

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 5,942 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 01:33 PM

Had a custom fiberglass spoiler on the back of my Barracuda that was damaged in an accident. Took it to a place that specialized in fiberglass boats. They rebuilt the spoiler and (supposedly) gel-coated it. Anyway it looked very good when they finished it. 

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,991 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 04:40 PM

Believe they call that "Mold Release".  Have used that years ago when glass bedding a Hi Power rifle barrel to keep the bedding material from sticking to the barrel.  

#8 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,525 Thanks
  • 1,339 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 07:21 PM

Gel coat  is applied to the mold and tacks off and the glass is laid on top of the gel coat,The mold does have a release of some kind,We use a wax on our molds.

you can use gel coat for a final coat but for a better shine a small amount of liquid wax would help.I would go with a paint and primer myself.I have worked in the molding and finishing of fiberglass for the last 13 years

• Cvans and dodge trucker have said thanks

#9 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 108 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 06:36 AM

Surfboard makers apply what I believe they call a "hot coat" over the final shape after fiberglass. Looks like a gel coat, but requires extensive sanding and polishing.

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,260 Thanks
  • 1,709 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 02:50 PM

I've used gel coat a few times. It needs to be shielded from all air to cure. 2 ways I've used are adding a wax to the liquid that will float to the top after spraying or by applying a plastic or wax paper over top to cover it. You can spray it from a HVLP gun. Can't remember the nozzle size though. I've also used those aerosol sprayers sold at the hardware, that you can add your own stuff to it. Search some boat forums. They will give you hours of reading about it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, September 12, 2017 - 02:50 PM.

• Cvans and dodge trucker have said thanks

#11 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• 2,260 Thanks
  • 1,709 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 02:51 PM

Whats your project?

#12 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,525 Thanks
  • 1,339 posts

Posted September 12, 2017 - 05:51 PM

I have meant to get an article done on fiberglass repair but other things have been more important .I scanned some pages from a book i found at an antique mall ,this should answer some questions,they also make a repair kit quite similiar to this for plastic.

repaair and mod0001.jpg repaair and mod0002.jpg repaair and mod0003.jpg repaair and mod0004.jpg repaair and mod0005.jpg repaair and mod0006.jpg repaair and mod0007.jpg

Edited by drbish, September 12, 2017 - 06:15 PM.

• olcowhand, Cvans, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,016 Thanks
  • 2,670 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 08:07 PM

Whats your project?

I have too many. This question is about fixing up the fender/seat pan on a couple of my Ariens machines. On one, the whole hinge section was busted out of the back, the other one wasn't so bad, just cracked along one side where the hinge goes. I have the fiberglass repair work finished, just have the paint work left on them
I have a really nice hood for one, the hoods on them all need work on the corners. I haven't yet gotten to the fiberglass work on my new Holland (basically the same thing as my Ariens other than the color)
Right now one of the bodies that I repaired is a spare, I might wind up painting that one in new Holland color.
I have 3 of them, 1 NH and 2 Ariens versions.

I have been neck deep in similar work on my Apache camper, only that is ABS instead of fiberglass. Some of the process is real similar to fiberglass, only working with different product. I have to Get that one done ASAP because I have 1 more campout paid for this season, going to covered bridge fest in Indiana next month for a few days, last year we tented because my camper was mothballed. It wasn't real cold but the last night we got drenched and had to take down in the rain when we left, going to get off the ground again
I used to have another Apache but it was too small, I sold that one and bought a bigger version.
  • KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#14 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• 2,260 Thanks
  • 1,709 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 03:21 PM

Although gelcoat is great stuff, it is more oriented to sealing surfaces. In the case of your gt's, I'd paint them. That's how they were originally and you won't really gain anything over paint. As for the camper, I don't know a whole lot about working with ABS. Is it waterproof once cured? That's really what understand is the real use for gelcoat. Keeps water from penetrating the underlying wood. Easiest example is a boat. Once the water soaks in, it'll never dry out and accelerate the rot.

Wife and I go to the covered bridge festival every year. Last year we went to Bridgeton and will be going back this year. Lots more crafts and such. Not so much on the knockoffs and cheap toys. We live about 40 minutes East of it.

Edited by dropped82, September 18, 2017 - 03:24 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,052 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 06:04 PM

Epoxy paint and primer rolled on with short nap epoxy roller and tipped off with china bristle brush for a tough shiny self leveling finish.