14 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 04:53 PM

Hi all, I'm looking for a fall winter project I'd really like a Plastic Power King but the closest one is 500 miles away so I've been thinking about Farmall Cub or the Lo Boy since I know next to nothing about them I'm asking, after reading what I can find I was surprised to learn the Lo Boys have starter /generators, I'm not a big fan of starter generators so how well do they work on the Cub engine? do they standup or do they require lots of maintenance? Do the clutches standup good? Which is preferred the regular Cub or the Lo Boy I have no particular need or use just looking for a little tractor, I feel getting on & off the Lo Boy might be easier then the Cub would that be right? 

• Cvans said thank you

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,780 Thanks
  • 4,767 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 06:50 PM

'68 and older Cubs and Lo-Boys have a regular starter with a generator for charging. 

Sometime in '68 they switched to the "Lo-Boy 154" which has the same engine but uses the starter/generator combination.

As I understand it, the S/G combo's at-best, barely have the "umph" to turn the engine.

Here is my 1956 Lo-Boy with a regular starter [with the starter off :angel:]

Attached Thumbnails

• lo-boy.jpg

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#3 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hi Kris, thanks I read you thread on your lo boy I found it enlightening and like it and I think if I could find an offset lo boy like yours I really be interested in it. Thanks again

Have you restored yours or is it still in its work clothes?

Edited by MNGB, September 03, 2017 - 06:56 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,780 Thanks
  • 4,767 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 07:19 PM

Got it running when I first bought it almost a year ago.  It had a couple stuck valves.

Haven't done a thing with it since - and its not been running this year at all. 

• MNGB said thank you

#5 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 660 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 09:02 PM

Personally if I found a lo-boy 154 for sale I'd run away as fast as I could unless it was cheap and I needed engine or transmission parts.  I've had to work on quite a few of them and all but probably 3 were just plain worn out and nothing but a headache to fix.  The engine and transmission is the same as the offset Cub and Cub Lo-Boy like Gtractor showed.  They're set in a frame to look like the Cub Cadets of the time.  The rest is just poor designing.  The main clutch was moved to the front of the transmission and even when new didn't shift very good and most of the time made a chattering noise when it got a little wear in it.  The pto clutch was a double belt off the flywheel to a shaft that ran under the seat to a clutch pack assembly that would make the same noise when worn.  Both clutches are very expensive to rebuild when worn.  I want to say somewhere in the neighborhood of $700-1200 each if you need to replace everything in them (been a few years since I looked up the prices so I'm not 100%) sure.  The s/g setup on the engine is ok to start it when it the battery and wiring are all in good shape but if the engine is worn out or the charging system needs work it does have issues trying to turn it over.  The steering is a Ross steering box like a lot of the gts have just a little bigger and on these tractors with the wide front tires it gets a lot of strain and stress from the design of the linkage.  If I found one like Gtractors I'd buy it unless the seller wanted ridiculous money for it, even then I might be tempted to get it.  Hope this helps.                  Stewart

• Gtractor, Alc, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,371 Thanks
  • 9,735 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 09:19 PM

Skip the Cub and look for an A or Super A. Much more reliable machine in close to the same footprint, and built much heavier.

IMG_1088.JPG

https://duluth.craig...6286370698.html

Edited by Cat385B, September 03, 2017 - 09:55 PM.

• MNGB said thank you

#7 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 09:28 PM

Hi Stewart, thanks for the go bit of information, I was looking at the manual on the main clutch and was confused about the linkage setup but now it makes complete sense, boy I like this site one really gets a good education its looking pretty much like I'll be ruling out the 154 - 185- lo boys.

Hi Cat385B, I want a smaller tractor I've got a Farmall "B" and a Ford 8N maybe I'll talk the better half into a 500 mile road trip for the Power King

#8 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 368 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 09:38 PM

How about a Allis Chalmers G or a John Deere L, LA or M?

• MNGB said thank you

#9 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 09:46 PM

Hi Leonard, I've thought about an Allis G but around here there are out of my price range, funny you mention the JD L or LA  there is one about 125 mile from me for $1250.00 I've never been much for green but maybe its time to reconsider?? Thanks for the reply

#10 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • 368 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 09:53 PM

The JD L's and LA's were designed for vegetable crops, so they are comparable in size to a Cub. A JD M is a little bigger but is equipped with hydraulic lift. $1250 isn't a bad price for a L or LA, depending on condition.

• MNGB said thank you

#11 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,780 Thanks
  • 4,767 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 10:42 PM

If you are 6 foot or more tall the L - LA Deere won't work for you. 

[otherwise I'd tell you to get the LA and bring it down for a swap]  :wave:

• MNGB said thank you

#12 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,092 Thanks
  • 715 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 02:28 AM

You better get that L or LA!! You can trade it for about anything nice, like 3 running Farmall cub's, I have worked the crap out of my 49 cub and it's hydraulic's for 12 years and other than one front inner tube it has been flawless, hardest working 10hp. Tractor made IMO, the offset tractors are called culti-vision and are more tippy on right turns than left, the heavy side of the tractor has to be uphill if working the side of a hill not only to stop rollover but also to keep traction, the later A's and 140's came with one cast iron hub on the right rear and standard steel rim on the left to help compensate for this but a wheel weight would do the same for a cub, obviously a low-boy is less tippy than a F cub but it is more utility than farm, only Lo-boy's made out of the F cub should be considered IMO
  • Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#13 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,779 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 07:52 AM

At some point they went back to the flywheel starter and either a generator or alternator.  I think maybe it was on the 184.

Thanks Stewart for all your information.  I'm looking for something a little heavier than my Speedex and the 184s have caught my eye, I think probably because they're styled like the big tractors I grew up with in the 70s.  One of my concerns with them is they're basically large garden tractors with a Cub engine in them.  I've been worried that most of them have been pushing large mowers for 40 years or so an may just be worn out.

I can get an offset lo boy, put on a cat 0 hitch and be out less money than for a 184.  It sounds like that might be the more sensible way to go.

• MNGB said thank you

#14 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 07:56 PM

Hi all, well have been dealing on a John Deere LA, the original LA I posted about for #1250.00 sold before I talked to the seller but we visted and he told be about the $1250.00 tractor it didn't have any electrical and needed a rear tire and rim and had not run for a number of years, but his neighbor had a LA he wanted to sell has electical system was running a year ago but needs a carb kit rear tires are good price is $1750.00, is missing the driveshaft cover between engine and trans and the lower radiator front cover (the chin cover) It doesn't look bad from the pictures will go look at it next Monday hopefully.

20170912_070823.jpg 20170912_070828.jpg 20170912_070843.jpg

• Leonard VanCamp and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#15 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • 368 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 08:43 PM

Nice looking LA.

• MNGB said thank you