9 replies to this topic

#1 jearlc OFFLINE  

jearlc
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88188
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 02, 2017 - 06:13 PM

Hello all , My problem is the engine shuts off when i i engage the front or rear PTO. This is intermittent,If I keep trying it will work for as long as I mow. 2,3 Hours. Thanks for any help . jearlc.  90 model GT 20.

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,932 Thanks
  • 4,987 posts

Posted September 02, 2017 - 08:39 PM

Welcome to GTt!
My first guess is a loose connection in the circuit of safety switches.

#3 71mustangman OFFLINE  

71mustangman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 86696
  • 33 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted September 02, 2017 - 09:16 PM

Hi there I have upload some diagrams that maybe helpful for you. I think its the seat switch or ignition key switch. Have you inspected all your electrical connections? could be a corroded connection. have you done a continuity check on all your switches? any broken wires. 71mustang man. did you try and wiggle the wire connections while the tractor is running. I had a bad fuse holder it was an intermittent problem. sometimes the tractor would start and run sometimes it would not even turn over. 

Attached Thumbnails

• diagram 001.jpg
  • gt 20 wiring dia pto engaged 001.jpg
  • wiring diagram 3 001.jpg

Edited by 71mustangman, September 02, 2017 - 09:30 PM.

• shorty said thank you

#4 jearlc OFFLINE  

jearlc
  • GTt Junior
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 03, 2017 - 10:53 AM

Thanks, I'll give these a try.

• shorty said thank you

#5 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 74 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 03:01 AM

Lots of possibilities but I would put my money on the Time Delay Module. You build your own for peanuts. Search this forum for details.
  • Alc said thank you

#6 jearlc OFFLINE  

jearlc
  • GTt Junior
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 12:29 PM

I noticed in the wiring diagram there is a safety switch .  What does it do and where is this thing ?  Not the seat switch, safety switch . Thanks...

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,043 Thanks
  • 2,696 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 01:08 PM

for one thing it causes headaches trying to figure out what is going on when it  don't want to work any more....probably not the answer some would like to hear,  but still, something those switches definitely do....

#8 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 74 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 01:58 PM

for one thing it causes headaches trying to figure out what is going on when it  don't want to work any more....probably not the answer some would like to hear,  but still, something those switches definitely do....

Armed with a VOM and/or test light plus wiring diagram it isn't that hard to pinpoint.

#9 71mustangman OFFLINE  

71mustangman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 86696
  • 33 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 09:29 PM

hi there the safety switch is located inside the shifter box. it is the park switch. when tractor is in park the switch is activated allowing the tractor to start. if the shifter is not in park tractor should not start.  Anything is possible with these old tractors. when your  dealing with electricity. Just take it one step at a time. if you decide you want to keep the tractor, the first thing I would do is inspect the condition of the harness and all the electrical connections. Mark all faults with tape as your inspecting the wiring and connections. once that is done go back and repair or replace the wiring. I use solder joints as much as possible. ok now wiring is all fixed. move onto all the connections unplug each connector and clean it with a small dremel wire wheel or small scotchbrite. When you finish a repair use a meter to check the continuity within that circuit. If everything is clean and wired properly, check your fuse holders. continuity check all your switches.( best to unplug switches from the circuit and do the continuity test) adjust your park switch located in the shifter box. the pto switches are double pole double throw. there should only be continuity at two electrical connector per switch position. there also should be a relay within your wiring system. it is possible to test that. The only item I have no idea how to trouble shoot is the small metal can ( time delay circuit) the time delay circuit can be built with electronic components. hope this helps. if you can read a wiring diagram then you can trouble shoot the problem. mustangman               

• dodge trucker said thank you

#10 jearlc OFFLINE  

jearlc
  • GTt Junior
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 09:41 AM

Thanks to Everyone !