• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 old coot ONLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 89 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 06:13 AM

not sure if anyone can help but i'm looking for some type of a ground cover plant ..would have to be ok in sun and shade..i'm done pushing a mower on a rather steep bank and need something that would grow fairly fast and take over all the grass etc on the bank , i'm in Pennsylvania so would have to tolerate the winter thanks for any help

#2 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,946 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 06:22 AM

How about some Bar Harbor Juniper, grows great on banks only gets about 6 inches high and is an evergreen. This stuff loves slopes. 

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,946 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 06:24 AM

https://www.uaex.edu...or-juniper.aspx

https://www.youtube....h?v=AcXHPjZ91_4

A link on top of what it looks like summer and winter , and the link below is a video of a guy explaining the plant. 

• Alc said thank you

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 06:37 AM

I have a ground cover plant called  "ajuga". It has green leaves that turn purple and a flower shoot about 6" that has little blue flowers. It definitely needs a border containment though, it can get invasive very quickly in lawns or areas you do not want. Grows pretty much anywhere in shade or sun. 

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,408 Thanks
  • 9,756 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 08:13 AM

What's your hardiness zone #?

Desert bluebells are cheap and make a nice color contrast.

IMG_1069.JPG

Edited by Cat385B, September 01, 2017 - 08:20 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#6 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 604 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 08:39 AM

Lots of roadsides use a plant called crown vetch. A plant I have that does well is pachasyndria also called Japanese spurge. Then there is blue rug juniper and honeysuckle. Hope this helps

• Alc said thank you

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,007 Thanks
  • 6,174 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 09:30 AM

I would go with Crown Vetch and Rye Grass as a cover crop.  Will take about a year for the Vetch to really fill in good.  As with any seeding for small areas, put on about twice what is recommended to get it established quicker.  Most of the farmer in the Midwest are planting Rye as a cover crop right after the main crop is harvested. Saves a lot of soil erosion from wind and water. Govt. pay them X amount per acre to plant it but nothing to kill it out next spring for the main crop.

#8 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,101 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 01:30 PM

Myrtle in the shade and ivy in the sun, both are runners, both are cold hardy and both will pull down any and all competing plants, there is a scourge in the South called Kudzu that would fit your order but if you got it to establish in your cooler climate you'd say by to your shade, neighbors would be gunning for you and you'd probably sell your house in the end to get away from it lol, just thinking the envasefness of your cover choices

Edited by jimmy G, September 01, 2017 - 10:59 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#9 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 275 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 09:20 PM

Being in PA you should be familiar with crown vetch.  Stay away from it, as it is very invasive.  It will show up every where on your property.  My neighbor planted some on a bank on the property line some years ago & I have been fighting it ever since.  It will not tolerate mowing however.  PA DOT stopped using it years ago because it could not be controlled.

• Alc said thank you

#10 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 108 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted September 02, 2017 - 08:06 PM

I would avoid the ivy, especially around buildings because it is very hardy and very invasive. If there is any opening it will grow thru, then expand and destroy. It is not vulnerable to round up if you change your mind.

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 08:25 AM

there is a scourge in the South called Kudzu that would fit your order but if you got it to establish in your cooler climate you'd say by to your shade, neighbors would be gunning for you and you'd probably sell your house in the end to get away from it lol, just thinking the envasefness of your cover choices

That stuff is of the devil, was brought over from somewhere in Asia, S. Korea, Vietnam, somewhere like that. truly an invasive species.