• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • Member No: 88161
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 01:07 AM

Sorry if posting in wrong place but here goes, I've just realised that I'm getting old and need a ride on mower, I've always had a walk behind push type, using a mountfield at the moment it's 5 years old and working fine,however it's now time for a lawn tractor but which one, my garden in total is about 1/2 acre and all established mature lawn , I've had a look at what's out there and to be honest I'm totally confused as they are all similar but painted differently?, the main competitors are husqvarna tc130 /tc138 , mtd lawnflite 603rt or the twin blade version, mountfield but I'm at a loss which one to go for , I would like to keep a local dealer happy but online prices are much cheaper, I can get a husqvarna tc 138 for £1,950 which seems an ok price, I'm looking at that kind of price range so not expecting a Honda !
Thanks for replies
  • oldedeeres and HANKG have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,044 Thanks
  • 2,701 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 06:17 AM

hard to tell, I do not know the difference between machines sold in Wales as compared to here.

but I have wondered for a long time... what is that symbol called in front of the price? I mean we have our "dollar sign" over here.... what currency does that symbol signify? and how does it compare to our dollar?

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 06:24 AM

I'm not familiar with lawn tractors or ride on mowers, especially what is available in Wales.  I have had riding mowers and tractors and will share some thoughts with you:

Go to a dealer and ride them.  Really pay attention to the seat, leg position etc. and think about what it'll be like to spend a half hour bouncing over the lawn on it.  Larger diameter and wider tires will make the ride better.  My previous lawn tractor used to really beat me up and it got to where I dreaded getting on the thing.

Think about the terrain you have to mow.  Are there lots of obstacles (trees, flower beds etc.) or is it wide open?  Hilly or flat?  If there are lots of obstacles a smaller, more maneuverable machine might be the best choice.  If there are few obstacles a larger machine might be more comfortable and do the job faster.  If there is lots to mow around a zero turn might be the better choice.

Consider what else it might help you do.  Do you need to clear snow?  Pull a cart around the garden?  If you're wanting to do those kinds of things a lawn or garden tractor might be the better fit.

Good luck!

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and HANKG have said thanks

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 06:27 AM

hard to tell, I do not know the difference between machines sold in Wales as compared to here.

but I have wondered for a long time... what is that symbol called in front of the price? I mean we have our "dollar sign" over here.... what currency does that symbol signify? and how does it compare to our dollar?

That is the British Pound.  This morning it's trading at $1.29 so he's talking $2,500 more or less.  I think they have Value Added Tax baked in so he's probably looking at a machine that would run $1,500 - $2,000 in the U.S.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and dodge trucker have said thanks

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,508 Thanks
  • 9,336 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 06:53 AM

I would like to keep a local dealer happy but online prices are much . . .

If you buy online, who is going to do the repairs; the unhappy local dealer or ?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,800 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 07:17 AM

Welcome to GTT. It is a complicated question that you are asking. The guys above have given some good advice but there is a lot more to it. You need to define the problem. Make a list of what it has to do, a list of what you would like it to do, and a list of the extra features that you might like. Then visit your local dealers. Try out as many different machines as you can.

If you can do repairs yourself, you might want to look at used machines in your area. If you are a really good mechanic try picking up a freebie and just fix it up. We have thousands of manuals that you can download in our Manuals Section to help with repairs. I've picked up dozens of freebies around here. The best time for freebies is in the spring when tractors won't start because of mice or poor storage. Let us know how you make out and if you have any questions. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 31, 2017 - 07:18 AM.

• TomLGT195 and HANKG have said thanks

#7 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 10:30 AM

My son is a vw mechanic and servicing isn't an issue , however I will probably buy locally from a dealer, I have now decided on the husqvarna tc138 at a price of £1,950 it will have 2 years warranty, the climate here is cold and wet mostly so thought the twin blade set up would be best , buy from dealerships and service myself as I know I will do a better job of it , thank you for your replies
  • boyscout862, LilysDad, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#8 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 604 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 01:11 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

#9 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 4,397 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 01:30 PM

Welcome aboard! We're looking forward to pictures of your machine and the work area it'll be maintaining, hint, hint.....

Edited by oldedeeres, August 31, 2017 - 01:32 PM.

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#10 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 02:07 PM

When she arrives I will post pics
  • boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 02:09 PM

http://www.husqvarna...-138/960510124/

This is the beauty

Edited by Torri gwair, August 31, 2017 - 02:09 PM.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#12 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,508 Thanks
  • 9,336 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 02:58 PM

That will certainly make you the envy of your friends!

#13 Torri gwair OFFLINE  

Torri gwair
  • 52 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 03:02 PM

Lol yes possibly but I've just pushed my mountfield push mower for 4 hrs today and I'm knackered
  • KennyP, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,607 Thanks
  • 2,723 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 03:15 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#15 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres