1400 medfra
  • Member No: 88151
  • 18 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 29, 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hello,

I'm a new member as of  Today - 8 /29/17 -12:15 pm

I'm in Michigan 48045

I picked up a Bolens G-14 four speed at auction 8/3. .OH 140 1600270D ser#3018E

Will post pix as soon as I figure out how.

It came with a mowing deck, snow blower, tiller and all the items to drive the afore mentioned attachments

It was ALWAYS barn keep along with the attachments......Original tires, no dry rot, no checking or cracks.... No caked on dirt anywhere..... No dents..... No bent tiller parts.....No damage to the snow blower...... A small fracture to the mower deck (easy weld job) All drive accouterments included. Extra belts, spare air cleaner. (check the soon to come pix) 

Smokes a bit on start up.. ZERO rust anywhere, soon to be posted pix will reinforce that statement.

Changed oil, purged old gas, changed fuel filter and spark plug. 

OH140 Tecumseh..OH 140 1600270D ser#3018E

Starts instantly BUT............ it acts like it's got a heart murmur............. it runs wonderfully for 50 or 60 seconds............ then momentarily shudders, stutters, pukes out a puff of smoke, then gets right back to business.  I'm running straight TURBO BLUE high octane fuel in it now so as to hopefully bust off the carbon I saw on the piston when I installed the new plug 

After the pix post, please reread this post and offer any comments. 

One quick query .............. Should I and how do I change the rear end dope (thats oil for you youngsters)IMG_1642.JPG IMG_1641.JPG IMG_1640.JPG IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1637.JPG IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1635.JPG IMG_1634.JPG IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1632.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Traill95, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 3,028 Thanks
  • 2,133 posts

Posted August 29, 2017 - 04:29 PM

Welcome aboard,nice looking machine and appears to be in very nice shape,also some nice attachments,you have a 1400 medium frame tractor,the G-14 was a tube frame model,I think you will happy with your purchase,after sitting for a while you'll probably have to work out a few bugs,warning these Bolens tractors are addicting,you'll probably be adding to your collection

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, August 29, 2017 - 04:30 PM.

• boyscout862, logmillingman and 1400 medfra have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,654 Thanks
  • 5,048 posts

Posted August 29, 2017 - 05:12 PM

Goooood lookin' rig!    :thumbs:

Check the crankcase breather and make sure its huffin' and puffin'. 

Kinda sounds like its building pressure in the bottom end.  ???

• blackjackjakexxix and 1400 medfra have said thanks

#4 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 758 Thanks
  • 387 posts

Posted August 29, 2017 - 07:02 PM

Great looking tractor your going to have fun putting it to work! 

:welcometogttalk:

• blackjackjakexxix and 1400 medfra have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,441 Thanks
  • 9,391 posts

Posted August 29, 2017 - 08:21 PM

Welcome to GTT. Download the manuals you need for your tractor from our Manuals Section. I would not use a high octane fuel in that engine. I use Marvel Mystery Oil in my gas to help my engines to run cooler. The MMO also dissolves carbon in the combustion chamber, frees up rings, lubricates and cools the valves. Be very carefull with that ignition system. It is easy to damage it and parts are scarce.  Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 29, 2017 - 08:22 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, logmillingman and 1400 medfra have said thanks

#6 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,307 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted August 30, 2017 - 04:48 AM

Welcome aboard!

• logmillingman and 1400 medfra have said thanks

#7 1400 medfra OFFLINE  

1400 medfra
  • 18 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 30, 2017 - 07:09 PM

Here are the promised pix of the air filter.

As i stated in my first post this engine started almost instantly when I went to inspect this tractor, even with the air filter in this condition.

The plug was just as bad. The gap was almost closed with carbon, the gap was almost too small to measure. I seriously don't know how it started, boy it smoked like the devil for a few seconds but then as rpms were increased it settled down.

Had one very loose head bolt, tightening it down helped stop an ugly leak on the right side of the engine. Now I need to find out why there's a bunch of gunk on the left side of the block just forward of the carb, it is leaking behind the shroud just aft of the pto around and behind the governor linkage I'm going to de-grease and scrape off all the hardened black oily crap and wait to see if it still leaks in that area.

Will keep ya all posted

Thanks for all welcome to GT TALK posts

Bill.bolens air filter.jpg bolens air filter2.jpg

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#8 1400 medfra OFFLINE  

1400 medfra
  • 18 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Kris,

But don't I need cc pressure to pump fuel into the carb ? The PVC seems to be operating correctly. When I pulled it off I was able to blow into it, it opened then when sucking on it, it closed. I'm flummoxed.

I have been advised not to run TURBO BLUE fuel in it ............and I won't in the future (7.69 a gallon here in Mi) but since its so carboned up I'm going to finish this tank full of high octane fuel (wish I get leaded gas)  and either use Marvel Mystery or sea foam as an additive in the future.

I've been pushing the engine  pretty hard the last couple days, cutting 10 inch tall junk grass at a vacant field near the house, this activity has seemed to bust some of the carbon off the valves or maybe freed a stuck ring I don't know which, but it is smoking less but still acting like it has a heart murmur every 30 or 60 seconds

If you have the time, go to my second post to see pix of the original air filter.  You'll get a kick out them.

Thanks,

Regards.

Bill

• logmillingman said thank you

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,173 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 11:26 AM

Your oil leak in front of carb behind tin is probably due to the push rod tubes, they have O rings on each end. Here is a pic with the  shroud and head off. It is a little work to replace them as the rockers and rocker box has to come off. Smoking could be rings or valve seals.

oh 160 push rod tubes.jpg

The cutout every 30-60 secs could be the carb. My OH16 has a random miss, I know the butterfly shaft bushings are worn and it sucks air.

Edited by TAHOE, August 31, 2017 - 11:27 AM.

• Bolens 1000, logmillingman and 1400 medfra have said thanks

#10 1400 medfra OFFLINE  

1400 medfra
  • 18 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 08:52 AM

Your oil leak in front of carb behind tin is probably due to the push rod tubes, they have O rings on each end. Here is a pic with the  shroud and head off. It is a little work to replace them as the rockers and rocker box has to come off. Smoking could be rings or valve seals.

attachicon.gifoh 160 push rod tubes.jpg

The cutout every 30-60 secs could be the carb. My OH16 has a random miss, I know the butterfly shaft bushings are worn and it sucks air.

Tahoe,

Thanks for the info. Removing all those parts to check the O-rings is a bit inconvenient at this time as the garage is just to full of projects. Although, I'll keep monitoring the oil consumption. the leak isn't to heavy, it just annoys me!

I've finished using the Turbo Blue fuel and am going to switch to either Marvel Mystery or Sea foam additive, I'm undecided on which. Any thoughts? 

Winter is coming soon and I really gotta start de-cluttering the garage and finish up my closed side Ford lgt-145. The ford is pretty much done. I just need to tighten some nuts and bolts. I will post a pix of both the Ford and Bolens soon and use it for my profile pix.

Thanks again

Bill 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: g-14, tecumseh, oh140