OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 08:40 PM

OK, I'm a Bolens guy, and saw a Haban sickle bar mower for sale close by. I didn't ask too many questions but just called the guy to tell him I was coming to pick it up since the price was right. .

Turns out that it's a model 414, which seems to be for a Wheel Horse, and not a Bolens :mecry:

Anyway, there is a part that I got with it, that may not be part of the mower itself.

Here's a pic. It appears that it's supposed to use a belt to drive a PTO shaft. Is it for a Wheel Horse? If so, what model might it fit?

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3880.jpg

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 09:47 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would say that it would be for the "D" series tractors. They were the only ones that used the shaft driven accessories that I know of, however, I thought that they had a PTO shaft that came right out of the transmission in the rear. It's possible that this was something that Wheel Horse sold to adapt some of their other belt drive units to run the shaft driven implements. Maybe Brian (TD&H), MikesRJ, Gwest, or TMO can help with your question, but you'll likely have to wait until sometime next week as I believe that they're all (except TD&H) gearing up for the National Wheel Horse show in central PA this weekend. Be patient and someone will be along with the right answer for you

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 10:32 PM

In the mean time, I'll go over it with a fine toothed comb, looking for part/casting numbers. That may help if there are any in it.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 04:01 AM

I wouldn't rule out that it is a Bolens piece because it uses the same driveshaft couplers with the square end. That PTO doesn't mount on the sickle bar mower at all does it?

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 09:28 AM

That is definitely a Haban piece. It has Haban on the casting.

I'm betting that the pulley is driven by a belt from the tractor, and then the shaft drives the mower.

#6 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 05:23 PM

Try
Haban : Haban Tractor Accessories
A decendant of the family has put a lot of work into recording what he can find of what's left of the company.

I have a list of 20 allied attachments that are listed in the 1976 B and C-Series 8-speed OM according to my notes. The 414 is one of them but have no idea where I got this because I don't have a 1976 C-Series OM.

Garry

Edited by GWest, June 24, 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 06:15 PM

That is definitely a Haban piece. It has Haban on the casting.

I'm betting that the pulley is driven by a belt from the tractor, and then the shaft drives the mower.

Yes, I think you're right there, and that other heavy piece is a shield/guard for the front.

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 06:34 PM

... That PTO doesn't mount on the sickle bar mower at all does it?

I don't think it does. I'm thinking that the pulley/PTO goody is supposed to mount to the tractor.

I found a manual/parts list for the 405-a sickle bar mower that IS for the tube frames, and it's virtually IDENTICAL to the 414. Te difference being that pulley/PTO, and an extra piece bolted to the front mount. Plus a BIG rectangular piece that is VERY heavy, which may have been a counter weight. It doesn't show on the 405-A parts.

I'm thinking that if I take off the extra part in front that it will mount on a tube frame. I'll probably have to do some 'creative engineering' to get from the Bolens PTO to the mower PTO.

Pics are of the manual, what I have, and the Big Heavy Piece. If anyone has any idea as to just what the BHP is let me know.

Attached Thumbnails

• 405-A.jpg
  • 100_3876.jpg
  • 100_3881.jpg

Edited by OldBuzzard, June 24, 2011 - 06:56 PM.