#1 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 924 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 28, 2017 - 08:49 AM

Was able to get out on beautiful Lake Erie for a day Walleye fishing.  Fishing is hot this year, like very hot!  For those not into Lake Erie walleye fishing, we are trolling in mid-lake, nothing around, flat bottom for suspended fish chasing smelt and emerald shiners around.  We have a mix of downriggers, dipsey divers (Walker), and leadcore.  for both weekends, we limited out for wife and I coming home with full death-well.  Gave 12 fish to neighbours and kept 12 for ourselves for good eating this winter.

Was in 63 feet of water (12 miles out), riggers down 45 feet with 50 foot leads.  Big divers set on 3 setting and 160 feet back, 10 color leadcore out the chute at 480 feet back.  The hottest line of the day was the leadcore, taking 60% of fish, the divers taking all the rest but two.

Hottest lure was a Michigan Stinger Nascar in hammered copper followed by a Michigan Stinger Killer Bee.  Damn fine 2 days on the water.

Had to blank out my face, as I do not exist on internet and don't want to start.

Attached Thumbnails

• walleye2.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#2 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,210 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted August 28, 2017 - 08:55 AM

Very nice Walley! 

#3 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,273 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted August 28, 2017 - 12:44 PM

That is a nice walleye! Having never fished the Great Lakes, the parameters of fishing never ceases to amaze me. Long Island's biggest "lake" is a puddle(or more closely, a shot glass) by comparison. It's more like the ocean fishing we do.

Glad you had some great fishing........and stocked the freezer, too! Thanks for sharing :thumbs:

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,512 Thanks
  • 5,105 posts

Posted August 28, 2017 - 02:47 PM

That's a nice fish! Walleye is my favourite fresh eating fish, I dredge them in salted flour and lemon pepper and fry in butter.... delicious! Lately I have been fishing below the race at E.B. Campbell dam just off Tobin Lake. We use pickerel rigs with a drop sinker baited with shiners, hard to tell depth because the water level varies by the minute due to the power dam. Sometimes I put a bobber at the top of the rig to keep the hooks suspended when the fish are rising, but generally we  let the current (very strong) just take the rig along and hope it doesn't hang up on the rocks on the bottom. The limit is only four walleye per day and eight in possession here. Lately they've been running around two pounds, perfect pan size.

#5 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,679 Thanks
  • 1,550 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 04:40 PM

Walleye fishing is excellent in Manitoba for a reason right now. WOW!

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nipeg-1.4499912

Edited by Jazz, January 31, 2018 - 04:41 PM.

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,944 Thanks
  • 6,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 06:16 AM

I didn't know you were in the blue man group!