We went past a garage sale the other day and I saw this cargo door sitting there.
It is a new door and has never been mounted but it does have a couple of small scratches from setting around.
This got me to thinking .. the trailer is about 9 inches wider on both sides of the camper.
I'm already planing on using this space on one side of the trailer to carry the long metal poles for the 10x20 canopy.
The other side of trailer will have the folding steps for getting up on the trailer from the side.
This would leave room right along side of the camper that I could build an enclosed storage compartment.
So, I removed the side metal from the lower part of the camper so it can be re-used on the outside of the storage box.
There was a section of the old side metal that was large enough to fit in this area ( this will be inside of the storage box ).
The base for the floor of the box is built out of treated wood.
This base is covered 1/2 inch treated plywood.
The framework is built for the box.
Test fitting the cargo door before I start putting on the metal siding.
I was going to just re-mount the piece of side metal over this but then I got to thinking about the other pieces of this new metal and what I still had to cover on the camper yet.
Both corners on the back wall have to be patched and now the back of this storage box has to be covered.
This piece of metal from the side would be big enough wrap around the back corner of the box and still cover the back of the camper all the way over to the door.
There are several pieces of this new metal left over from siding the camper.
I took one strip that was cut out from under the overhang and a strip that was cut off the bottom of the lower side panel.
Both of these pieces of metal have one side that is formed over so another piece of metal can slip into it.
I joined these two pieces together and added the piece that was cut out for the larger window.
This gave me a section of metal that was large enough to go on the outside of the box ( in front of the cargo door ) and wrap around the front corner to close off the front of the box.
Here's how it looks fastened on the box.
Going to the back wall, I unfastened the door and brought the bottom of it out a little.
The old siding metal is trimmed away all the way to the door.
The section of new metal that was on the side of the camper is now fit onto the back and wraps around the corner of the box an fits up to the door.
The cover for the electrical plug is also mounted in place.
The cargo door is test fit again.
This still leaves enough pieces of the new metal to make the other side of the rear of the camper match this side.
Edited by jdcrawler, June 23, 2011 - 06:17 PM.