10 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 05:19 PM

the guy down the street has 3 cub cadet originals. i was wondering what they are worth. all 3 have solid mower decks and i would place them in the "operational but need cosmetic restoration "category. they all run extremely well and even mow grass, the do i nice job of it too. these tractors are very restorable and have mostly surface rust. i was wondering what they are worth. oh, yeah and 1 needs a throttle cable and key-switch. 2 of them have original K161 engines and 1 has a k181, which i believe someone swapped in at one point. 2 of them have oil bath type aircleaners and the 1 with the k181 has a paper type. does anyone have any idea what they are worth(ballpark)?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 06:03 PM

There are a lot of variables. Like whether the seller would go for said amount and whatever the buyer is willing to pay. I can tell you I would go around $450 for an Original that was complete and just needed restored just for the tractor without attachments.

#3 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 08:24 PM

i thought they were some kind of a collectors money and that they were worth more than most of the older narrows frames, maybe $1,000 for one that runs and has a good deck. i know they arent considered a GTO, but i thought they were worth quite a bit due to them being the first cub cadet and for all purposes the first practical garden tractor.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 08:26 PM

Some do bring good money and some don't. It all depends on who is looking to buy one at that time and how much they are willing to pay. I just happened to put what I would be willing to pay.

#5 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 10:10 PM

In the condition you described I would say anywhere from 350 to 400 a piece. Maybe higher depending on the options that are on them. Do any of them have fenders or creeper transmissions? This will put the price maybe a little higher. As far as being more collectible, they really aren't that much more collectable than the later series. They made them for 3 years and there are a ton of them out there yet. When it comes to Originals the ones that are desirable and more collectible are the pre production units they made in 1960. The chances of finding one of these is not that high though. The most we ever paid for an Original is $800 for a restored tractor with the earliest style non trip snowblade. And it is a lower serial number between 1000-2000. I can't remember the exact serial number off the top off my head at the moment. This was at an auction for a big IH collection, so the IH buyers were there and thats all she went for.

In fact here is a picture of my dad with it, and this is what it looked like when we bought it.
IHC%20Millville%20Parade%20003[1] (Small).jpg

Good luck with them, hopefully you can get em for the right price.

#6 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 10:25 PM

i would like to buy one but 3 garden tractors is probably enough. i have plenty of projects to restore. right now im working on my cub cadet 124, then i might do my john deere 112, and then eventually my cub cadet 147. i was wondering what he might be able to get for them, not necessarily me buying one. not only do i have my tractors, but i would like to restore all of the attachments eventually. for the cub cadets i have a 42" deck, qa42 blower, #1 rotary tiller, and maybe i will buy a blade at some point. for my john deere i have a 37a blower, 31 tiller, 42 blade, 38 deck, and a 47 deck. jeeze i have my work cut out for me. if i keep buying nothing is ever going to get done, lol. it takes time and money to get them restored.

#7 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 06:10 AM

I agree with IHCubGuy - there are a lot of Originals still out there and aren't that much more collectible than the others. What is more rarer is the 800 as there weren't a lot made.

Myself, I'm not that fond of the Originals - I wouldn't want one myself. That's just me, but with the belt in the drive train, it's just doesn't have the appeal for me that I would for the other Cub Cadets. I would rather have a 149 or a 82 series.

#8 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 08:51 AM

i think its more nostalgic than anything. a little 7hp engine seems a little gutless, i would rather have a 12hp or bigger anyways. i think my 124 will be a nicer running tractor than an original anyways. a direct shaft drivetrain and a 12hp engine instead of a 7hp will make for a nicer performing tractor. dont get me wrong, the originals are fun to operate but there are much more powerful tractors to mow the lawn with.

#9 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 10:41 AM

i think its more nostalgic than anything. a little 7hp engine seems a little gutless, i would rather have a 12hp or bigger anyways. i think my 124 will be a nicer running tractor than an original anyways. a direct shaft drivetrain and a 12hp engine instead of a 7hp will make for a nicer performing tractor. dont get me wrong, the originals are fun to operate but there are much more powerful tractors to mow the lawn with.

I wouldn't be so quick to put down a 7 hp K161 - they can probably outwork some 20 hp engines today.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 11:20 AM

The old single cylinders, even the 7 and 8hp ones are strong little motors. Definitely don't let them fool you. I think the only downside on the Original's driveline is that there is a belt involved. I would honestly prefer a 100 over an Original but would like to eventually add an Original to our collection at some point in time.

#11 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,155 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 03:05 PM

if i have as many headaches as i got to day with my original,in the next couple of days,mine will be on the for sale list.I had my five year old grandson helping me and thought i had the steering fixed ,i got the cam follower repaired but the gasket slipped out of place after i got all of it hooked back up