• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 509 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted August 26, 2017 - 10:35 AM

This morning while being here my IE has been shut down by this forum two times. The repair message is saying that is what is happening. Even looking into the software it shows this happening. I have been able to get back on but for how long I do not know. I know you are trying to push other web browsers & I know that IE is going down the tubes but am having a hard time trying to decide what to do for a web browser. I still have nightmares of Google Chrome taking out 2 Hard Drives on my wife`s computer a few years ago. Then she tried Foxfire & it took out the Motherboard on the same computer that was less then 2 years old. I am working in digital electronics for over 40 years & after 8 hours working to keep some very critical servers running I do not like having to come home & work on more computers. Maybe later this year after I retire I will be able to do the search to try & decide where to go next. It maybe time to start learning Apple. If this keeps up you may not see me around here for a very long time.

Charlie

• olcowhand, Gtractor, OldBuzzard and 2 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,982 Thanks
  • 5,036 posts

Posted August 26, 2017 - 12:17 PM

You are not the only one struggling with it.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,527 Thanks
  • 9,821 posts

Posted August 26, 2017 - 12:26 PM

Another fine example of CM's lack of understanding of their core membership, and the lack of urgency or desire to fix anything in a timely manner.

Scott A.

Former Mod and former Site Supporter

Edited by Cat385B, August 26, 2017 - 12:26 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 5 others have said thanks

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,136 Thanks
  • 5,521 posts

Posted August 26, 2017 - 05:44 PM

Join the club.  :wallbanging:

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,139 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 07:49 AM

I run Fir Fox and have -0- problems the site shutting it down, etc.   Think you may have other problems ? ?

• Bob E said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,508 Thanks
  • 44,965 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 08:11 AM

I've been using Fire Fox since I first joined. Have had just a few issues. I'm thinking IE is the issue, not the site!

#7 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 668 Thanks
  • 662 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 12:59 PM

We do have updates, but that's no guarantee that it will work with IE.IE is an antiquated browser and Microsoft has stopped supporting it in favor of Edge.There's plenty of blame to go around as to why it won't work. 

Now as for solutions, Chrome is a light browser that is supported. Firefox is a bit heavier but is also supported. They both work with the site (I've tested) and have the ability to import your bookmarks and passes.

Just google browsers and find the one you like. On my personal machine, I use Pale Moon and Chrome. Pale Moon is a stripped down version of Firefox that moves faster.

I understand change is hard, but if we upgrade to the latest IPS you're going to have to learn to do things all over again anyhow. That's the issue with IPS. They reinvent themselves every upgrade. The best solution is we find and utilize a software that's not going to change over the years. That's hard to do as there's so much custom coding on GTT.. Just look at all the options at the top. That all take a programmer coding to get it right. 

• KennyP and secondtry have said thanks

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,634 Thanks
  • 9,446 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 02:09 PM

I understand change is hard, ​but if we upgrade to the latest IPS you're going to have to learn to do things all over again anyhow. That's the issue with IPS.  

Is that coming for sure soon?

#9 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • 668 Thanks
  • 662 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 02:23 PM

Is that coming for sure soon?

I'm the low man on the totem so I'm not told when things are going down. I'm usually given a couple of days notice to do some back-end things, but if I know you guys will know. 

Like I said though a conversion to a new IPS means learning the software all over again. I think it would be best if we explored our options and found a compatible software that's not going to change every time there's an upgrade. 

#10 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,464 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 04:10 PM

This morning while being here my IE has been shut down by this forum two times. The repair message is saying that is what is happening. Even looking into the software it shows this happening. I have been able to get back on but for how long I do not know. I know you are trying to push other web browsers & I know that IE is going down the tubes but am having a hard time trying to decide what to do for a web browser. I still have nightmares of Google Chrome taking out 2 Hard Drives on my wife`s computer a few years ago. Then she tried Foxfire & it took out the Motherboard on the same computer that was less then 2 years old. I am working in digital electronics for over 40 years & after 8 hours working to keep some very critical servers running I do not like having to come home & work on more computers. Maybe later this year after I retire I will be able to do the search to try & decide where to go next. It maybe time to start learning Apple. If this keeps up you may not see me around here for a very long time.

Charlie

I have been told since I started working with computers that software can't damage hardware, with the exception of over clocking. I have never been an IT professional but I started with computers when you replaced memory a chip at a time and stored information on a cassette tape and have found this to be accurate information. Any time software causes me a problem I wipe the hard drive and start over. Problem solved. Don

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 509 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted September 18, 2017 - 08:30 PM

If a software is designed for destruction as in virus which both the suggested browser allowed when they first came out. Reformatting the hard 10 times & the corruption still returned with many unusable bits. The motherboard was cheaper to replace then trying to clean out all of the corrupted software by replacing the components.

Charlie    

• secondtry said thank you

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,969 Thanks
  • 4,777 posts

Posted September 25, 2017 - 05:51 PM

Austin, on 18 Sept 2017 - 1:59 PM, said:Austin, on 18 Sept 2017 - 1:59 PM, said:

We do have updates, but that's no guarantee that it will work with IE.IE is an antiquated browser and Microsoft has stopped supporting it in favor of Edge.There's plenty of blame to go around as to why it won't work. ...

I can copy/paste/quote with no issues on the MoM form, which I am pretty sure uses the IP Board software.

http://myoldmachine....rum/2-ride-ons/

Maybe your 'gurus' need to ask them how it's done.

Edited by OldBuzzard, September 25, 2017 - 05:54 PM.

• DougT and shorty have said thanks

#13 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • 668 Thanks
  • 662 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 07:05 PM

They appear to be on a different version, but I'll take a look.

#14 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,291 Thanks
  • 5,988 posts

Posted September 26, 2017 - 08:26 PM

I've never had any problems with hardware when running either Chrome or Firefox. That said I'm definitely not a computer geek.  Been running Chrome for a long time now with no issues. 

Thanks Austin for the lead on Pale Moon. Might be fun to look into.

#15 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,464 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 10:48 AM

If a software is designed for destruction as in virus which both the suggested browser allowed when they first came out. Reformatting the hard 10 times & the corruption still returned with many unusable bits. The motherboard was cheaper to replace then trying to clean out all of the corrupted software by replacing the components.

Charlie    

I said nothing about re formatting. Although that will be necessary after you "wipe" the hard drive. I generally use a program off the Hiren's disk called shred. It spends several hours randomly rewriting every bit on the hard several times. When this program is finished I'm told the hard drive has been cleaned to military top secret standards with no recoverable information left. You get to start with a clean machine. Don