• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,368 Thanks
  • 3,264 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 04:33 PM

During a two year period I have had three of the same HF grinders. The first two the lock buttons came apart & were exchanged, no hassle. The third one I got back in June just flat out died for no reason hanging on my bench. I thought no more of this model. It cost me $30. so I'll see if I can upgrade to a different model. I explained to the clerk & like always no problem. This Hercules brand is a new line of power tools. It was $40. but the clerk said I'll just give you an even exchange. I also bought the two year warranty for $21. Although I haven't used it yet it seems well built, runs smoother, more quiet & has 7 amps compared to the other one I had was 6 amps.

Here is a pic of mine & also a video link of a breakdown comparison of their other models. The dark blue one on the right in the video from Chicago Tool was the one I had so much trouble with.

20170825_162838_resized.jpg

Edited by Sawdust, August 25, 2017 - 04:37 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,739 Thanks
  • 44,523 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 05:35 PM

I go to pawn shops and find the DeWalt grinders! Last much longer for nearly the same price!

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,574 Thanks
  • 2,713 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 06:03 PM

I use the $15 ones HF sells. Cheap enough to have several setup with different wheels on them. Get a couple years out of them till they die then buy another one. A quality one is about $95. I can have several cheapies doing multiple things for less. If I was using for business then I would get the best I could afford, lively hood would depend on it, so couldn't afford downtime!
  • Sawdust said thank you

#4 pryan05 OFFLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 569 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 07:37 PM

I use the $15 ones HF sells. Cheap enough to have several setup with different wheels on them. Get a couple years out of them till they die then buy another one. A quality one is about $95. I can have several cheapies doing multiple things for less. If I was using for business then I would get the best I could afford, lively hood would depend on it, so couldn't afford downtime!

I also like having multiple wheel setups.   If saves a bunch of time and frustration.  I find that for industrial use it is hard to beat an pneumatic grinder, they are light, vibrate less, last forever and you will not get electrocuted in a wet environment. Bur for at home multiple cheepies   are the way to go!

• TomLGT195 and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,087 Thanks
  • 2,787 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 08:21 PM

I bought a cheap skil brand and has lasted me 7 years so far of hard use.

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,158 Thanks
  • 8,575 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 08:29 PM

the last HF grinder I bought gets so hot you can't hold it after about 10 seconds. If you are brave, and have thick gloves, it does work though. I broke down and got a porter cable.

• Sawdust and Jazz have said thanks