7 replies to this topic

#1 DAve38 OFFLINE  

DAve38
  • Member No: 88103
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 07:54 PM

Hello All,

I just acquired a Ariens 1540 936034 tractor from a buddy and found that when cutting thicker grass the belt that goes from the PTO to the mower deck slips, thereby not cutting the grass, just leaving it swirled. On weedy areas, it seems to cut fine, or I have to use the high settings on the deck height and keep lowering it each time I go over the same area....very time consuming. The belt was changed in the fall, and is the correct one, and is still the correct length, outside measurement is 65" it is listed a s 64" belt and is 1/2" wide. The tensioner spring seems weak, but the tensioner arm is almost hitting a cross member already, there is only about 1/4" of space, so a tighter spring will just make the arm hit the cross member. The pulleys don't seem too worn, and they are very expensive to replace as they seem to come as an assembly, not just the pulleys themselves. I haven't found anything else that is obvious and am wondering if a 1/2" shorter belt be a solution?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Dave

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,236 Thanks
  • 30,832 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 07:58 PM

a half inch shorter belt will only pull back the idler about 1/4", so maybe 1" shorter would be better?

• jimbobbillyray said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,926 Thanks
  • 4,984 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 04:10 AM

I would try the shorter belt suggested above and switch to a stronger spring. One other thought, is it the right width? A narrow one won't grip as well.

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,562 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 05:40 AM

Not sure how the deck is hung on the tractor but some have an adjustment for the deck to help level it, my JD has threaded rods , on my Economy there are drilled arms that you could get a little more adjustment   , might want to check that adjustment to see if it would put just a little more tension and clearance for a stronger idler spring .

#5 DAve38 OFFLINE  

DAve38
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 27, 2017 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the replies folks. I haven't been around for a few days, but have looked at adjusting the deck for levelness. There are 2 threaded arms in the rear. Doesn't look like it will tighten the belt to any degree. Have to look for a shorter belt, but the current one is the correct width at 1/2".

Thanks,

Dave

#6 DAve38 OFFLINE  

DAve38
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 28, 2017 - 05:13 PM

So I tried a smaller belt, 63" , and it won't fit on to the pulleys. I dropped the deck and inspected both pulleys and the Jackshaft top pulley has a worn belt path, I can feel it is lower that the rest of the V groove surface. The PTO pulley has a very shiny bottom of the V groove. Does this indicate that both pulleys need replacing? Can just the pulleys be changed, or do I have to do the whole assemblies? I have attached 2 pictures

Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170828_174901.jpg
  • 20170828_174853.jpg

#7 DAve38 OFFLINE  

DAve38
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 01:14 PM

Well, a follow up. After much searching for a larger diameter tensioner pulley, I decided to just cut 1.5" off the tensioner spring and re-attach. Belt is much tighter now and the grass is getting cut fine and shooting up the pipe to the baskets. Case closed.

Thanks

Dave

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,926 Thanks
  • 4,984 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 07:59 PM

That's good to hear you got it figured out.