4 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,999 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 06:11 PM

Sheared the front pin at the rag joint this afternoon.  Drive shaft turns inside the joint.  Never had this happen or been into one like that.  Hard to get to I can see that already.  Of course, it is 100 yds from the shop.  Any suggestions on how to get at this to drive the old one out and put a new one in?   What size pin is it and is it a standard roll pin?  No parts manual for that section.  Parts tree shows the joint but not the pins.

Edited by chieffan, August 23, 2017 - 06:49 PM.

#2 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 299 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 07:24 PM

chieffan it's not a standard roll pin. They are called either spirol pins or coiled spring pins depending whom you get them from. I buy mine from McMaster Carr.. I know they are 1/4in in diameter and I am quite sure they are 1 1/4in long. I've never done one on a diesel so I'm no help there. I've changed a couple in gas tractors but they are totally different.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 660 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 09:15 PM

:yeah_that:   The coupler is the same part number as the standard gts of that vintage and the parts list for those calls for a 915-3000  pin, spring 1/4x1.375 lg hd.   As for getting it out the couple times I've had to deal with that problem, I was able to line up the holes in the shaft and arm and using a long drift punch knock the broken pieces out.  Best if you can support the opposite side of the shaft somehow as your driving on it. Then get a long grade 8 bolt with a shank that went most of the way through and a nut and limp the tractor onto the trailer and take it back to work to fix with the new pin

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,323 Thanks
  • 2,985 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 01:21 AM

Take the Tunnel Cover off it should make it easy to get to.4 small bolts and slide it back towards the seat and lift it out.

Partstree has the spring pins just not listed with a part # on the diagram. I had to order new ones for the 582.The same one that sheered on yours was cracked on mine and came out in 3 pieces when I drove it out.

https://www.partstre...parts/915-3000/

Really easy way to safely drive them out is with a roll pin driver for an air chisel. Buzz the little suckers rite out real quick.

I have 1 of these that I use. Bought a cheap 5 piece set at harbor freight a couple years ago.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B00SI74ZL2 

Edited by EricFromPa, August 24, 2017 - 01:30 AM.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#5 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,272 Thanks
  • 646 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 09:37 AM

This tractor seems to give you all sorts of trouble, I think it's best if I come take it off your hands to help reduce the stress in your life.