#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,450 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted August 22, 2017 - 10:20 PM

My poor MM king blew it's engine Sunday. Was trying to work my heavy grader box and not too good. Was going up the hill in my drive, when throttle started to creep up, not real fast, but fast, the Wham! I pushed in clutch, and engine just kept on rolling! HMMM!  Started to look for hole in block on either side and none. Reached up and could turn engine easy, so rod is gone for sure. I've never blown one before, not sure what problem really is or was. Wondering if governor could have let go?  Pulled it up to garage with new PK, pushed in and went back out with that one and graded best I could do. Like I needed another project!

• Gtractor, grnspot110, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,991 Thanks
  • 8,777 posts

Posted August 22, 2017 - 10:34 PM

Hopefully the block and crank are not damaged. I have a Case where the piston split just above the wrist pin. It seemed to happen to a bunch of Kohlers from the late 70s. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,240 Thanks
  • 4,622 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 02:24 AM

I was once told that if a rod breaks near the piston, the engine was over-reved. If it breaks near the crank, it is from lack of lubrication.

• Alc, propane1 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,114 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 04:03 AM

I had a kohler do that too. Split the piston in 1/2 above the wrist pin.

Noel
  • Alc said thank you

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 12:40 PM

Hi gl sorry to hear about your misfortune did the engine have a lot of hours on it? As for the pistons splitting/breaking in Kohler K series engines  it happened I bought a wornen out core K321 and it had a broken piston in it plus one of the balance gears had about a 1/3 of it broken out.

• propane1 said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,450 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 09:15 PM

No idea hours. Is older rig, when bought, just tore down and fixed the body/frame, and paint, engine was fine with little tinkering like carb cleaning and such. Never had it open. Won't know more till opened up, and not sure when that will be. And, I just got it all fixed up for winter last year, chains and wieghts and such, durn!  Think I have another block around, never opened either out of a PK even, will be looking at that first I guess.

• MNGB said thank you

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,450 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted October 08, 2017 - 05:54 PM

Well, finally went out and pulled the engine from my PK. Things came apart easy, nice other guy used anti-seize and such to have come apart easier, heh! Darn stuff is messy handling tho! Pulled head, piston right on top, looked good. Valves and area looked good. Piston said .020 on it. I'm thinking now that I DID build this engine, was stuck when first got. I see the balance gears were out, so kinda remember that too. Crank looks smeared real bad with aluminum. I pulled whole top of motor off the base and it was full to gasket with oil, so not low on that. Does look like it got hot though. Didn't look at gov or other things, had to quit. Piston looks new, rings might even be fine. Figure little JB Weld, the quick kind on the rod and should be good to go. Here's pix, what think?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171008_181521.jpg
  • 20171008_190126.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, October 08, 2017 - 06:03 PM.

• Glenn Ayers said thank you

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,371 Thanks
  • 3,266 posts

Posted October 08, 2017 - 08:01 PM

Hope your joking about JB Weld on the rod. I had a 8hp Kohler let go because of the governor. Rod broke right inder the wrist pin. She screamed for about 3 seconds then BAM!

#9 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 60 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 09, 2017 - 04:55 PM

Maybe some of that Super Glue & Baking Soda I keep hearing about ?

:D

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,450 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted October 11, 2017 - 09:28 PM

Well, tore down the engine today to get out of way. I'm not seeing any reason that should have blown, so maybe it revved higher than I thought?  Not sure why the rev, carb cleaned out?  The gov looks fine that I can see. The crank has quite a build-up of aluminum on it, wondering if can get that off and maybe it is fine?? Any suggestions on cleaning it off? Heck, thick enough, might be able to peel off much, if can get an edge started. Cylinder doesn't have bottom hunk out like many do, and looks like new on surface. Think piston and rings are fine, look like barely been run, valves good, no carbon.  I DID find the head bolts didn't seem real tight when taking off. The torque on them is only like 35 lbs, and not sure if I ever did a re-torque. Didn't seem to be leaking on gasket or surfaces, just not much of pull to remove. Thinking rod and maybe crank turn and should be good to go back together.

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted October 11, 2017 - 09:39 PM

Hi GL the aluminum can be cleaned off the crank journal with muriatic acid carefully apply it with a brush it with bubble and sizzle and will eat the alum after the alum is gone clean up very thoroughly and oil the journal well.

#12 cpower2004@comcast.net OFFLINE  

cpower2004@comcast.net
  • Member No: 88431
  • 6 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hi----My name is Butch I live in Sarasota Fla. I have a 1957 economy. Do you know how to get in touch with someone about a thumb drive Larry Goss made and sells. Thank you Butch        cpower2004@comcast.net

#13 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,906 Thanks
  • 4,964 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 05:58 PM

Hi----My name is Butch I live in Sarasota Fla. I have a 1957 economy. Do you know how to get in touch with someone about a thumb drive Larry Goss made and sells. Thank you Butch cpower2004@comcast.net

I think Kennyp has his info on getting a thumbdrive.
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,760 Thanks
  • 44,545 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hi----My name is Butch I live in Sarasota Fla. I have a 1957 economy. Do you know how to get in touch with someone about a thumb drive Larry Goss made and sells. Thank you Butch        cpower2004@comcast.net

I missed seeing your post somehow.  When you are back, I'll send you a PM with contact info.