• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 58 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 04, 2017 - 06:11 AM

I rebuilt our 216 back 20 or more years ago. Ever since, it has had a nasty knock that I'm pretty sure is because I should have used a seating compound on the main/crank interface. But, it still runs and plows and tills (and used to mow before we got the 345). Only smokes on startup, though.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#32 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,313 Thanks
  • 2,967 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 10:54 AM

Darnit well there is the cause of the smoking problem.  I should of measured this ring set to instead of assuming that they were good to go.

IMG_20171112_095941.jpg   IMG_20171112_095918.jpg   IMG_20171112_100057.jpg

IMG_20171112_100301.jpg

Connecting rod journal shows No signs of wear. The knock that I was hearing might be timing related. 

Yes I staggered all of the rings 90* from each other as per spec. Lined them back up for the Pics.

This is a Brand new NOS Kohler ring set with 5 hours of run time on them.  The Oil rings are tight on the piston and almost bottomed out. Still has a heck of a large end gap. Other 2 rings look good. 5 hours was just enough time to break them in. New the compression and scraper rings had a some light grooves running around them and if you look closely you can see that the grooves are almost completely gone.  

I didn't like the looks of this piston when I took the old ring set off.  The Compression ring was @ .015 Scraper ring was .017 which are both well within spec. But the Oil ring was WAY out of spec. These new rings don't look correct on this piston at all. That's a heck of a end gap for new rings isn't it? 

Only thing I can think of is the groove for the oil rings on this piston are cut to deep.  I also notice some scuffs and wear on the piston skirts that wasn't there before.

I'm selling a couple things and buying a new rod and piston kit for it.  Just picked up a Ballast resistor for the coil. Found out that the coil isn't a resistor coil. The new Points I put in were arcing really bad. Zapped the heck out of me when I forgot to turn the key off while adjust them.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 12, 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#33 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,313 Thanks
  • 2,967 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 09:48 PM

Sold some stuff that I didn't necessarily want to but I needed the money to get this green thing up and running the way it should.

Ordered this Ebay rebuild kit with valves,connecting rod,piston,rings and another gasket set. I'll toss the cheap points and spark plug in the tool box for something else.

https://www.ebay.com...HoAAOSw0W5Z~lcN

The 214 had some exhaust valve noise so I'm going to lap in a new set when I have it apart. Might as well. The kit with the valves was only $15 more.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 14, 2017 - 09:50 PM.

#34 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,775 Thanks
  • 1,046 posts

Posted November 15, 2017 - 01:33 AM

Sorry to hear about the oil consumption problems.  It looks like the new rebuild kit will solve your smoking and hopefully your knocking sound.  

I was also thinking of buying that same kit for my K321 out of my 149.  Lets us know what you think of it once to install it.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#35 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,313 Thanks
  • 2,967 posts

Posted November 15, 2017 - 10:40 AM

I contacted the seller before buying the kit regarding the quality of the parts. He said that they are all hi quality aftermarket Stens parts. I have bought Stens rings and connecting rods before and they do the job. He's sold a bunch of these kits and by looking at his feedback they seem like a good kit. 

I hope it works out. I'm kinda out of options if it doesn't.

• lyall and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#36 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,928 Thanks
  • 1,504 posts

Posted November 15, 2017 - 04:00 PM

I have had the same problems with the rings's gap aligning up with a 1/2" on several motors.  A few of them a blow by causing the dip stick to jump up and down.  Some of the cylinders were with the specs, so I just brought the rings, rod, piston set.  Some I had to hone the cylinders and get overhaul kits.

I have brought several overhauls kits from the same seller you get your from and I have not had any problems.

Like you I do not you the plugs or points that I got with the overhaul kits.

#37 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,313 Thanks
  • 2,967 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 10:04 AM

Got the Kit allready and partly assembled it. Looks really good. Definitely the shiniest connecting rod I've had yet lol.

Bought a used iphone 6s for $50 the off of a friend yesterday. He had to have a iphone X. Score for me lol. 

Pics from new to me phone. I'm impressed so far especially for being taken indoors. My 16mp Kodak camera doesn't take this good of a pic indoors. 

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0022.JPG

The camera has some filters to. might have to play around with those more. IMG_E0022.JPG

Edit:  SWEET they are rite side up to.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 17, 2017 - 10:04 AM.