• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,785 Thanks
  • 44,563 posts

Posted October 15, 2017 - 05:39 AM

I got it uploaded here for those wanting a copy.

• WpgJetFan said thank you

#17 WpgJetFan OFFLINE  

WpgJetFan
  • Member No: 55287
  • 18 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted October 16, 2017 - 04:49 PM

Thank you for making that available to the few guys looking to re-install the balance gears.  The Kohler scanned manual from the Kohler site is horendous...

Got my white out today for marking all of the reference points for the install of the crank in proper timing.  Not alot of visibility on all of the marks when crank is being dropped in so the secondary reference points talked about in this (if you don't have the special tool!) are good to know.

The K341 and K361 are the same rotating assemblies so I have no issue dumping the current K341 crank and connecting rod in with the K361 current piston.  Yeah... being a cheapskate cutting all corners (not taking out cam, balance gears, or the governer) but if it ain't broke - don't loosen off the nuts!...

Have a great day.  Brian  wpgjetfan

#18 WpgJetFan OFFLINE  

WpgJetFan
  • 18 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 12:42 PM

Noticed on both crankshaft pulls that the bearing came out on the crank - not staying in the crankcase cover...

Common?  Would like to make sure the .010 of crankshaft play is available... but with bearings sticking and holding on the crankshaft this could be problematic for checking.

The crank cover from the K341 didn't even hold the bearing anymore - the bearing fit exactly but with no friction - falls right out... the K361 cover holds the bearing well but the bearing still came with the crank.  My first real pull down on these... thoughts anyone?

Brian  wpgjetfan

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,374 Thanks
  • 9,736 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 08:59 PM

My first thought is that I hope the Jets don't beat up on the Wild too much on Friday night.
  • WpgJetFan said thank you

#20 WpgJetFan OFFLINE  

WpgJetFan
  • 18 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 10:44 PM

Columbus schooled the Jets yesterday and the Wild always are a handful....!

Brian  wpgjetfan

#21 WpgJetFan OFFLINE  

WpgJetFan
  • 18 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 05:15 PM

Lots of interest as I post this stuff - but gotta let guys know about this if interested... a Case 646 for sale:

https://www.kijiji.c...or-with-tiller/

1306348976?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Connect the string and check it out... rare these come up at this price...

Will post pics of the Kohler three gear timing procedure if I can add anything useful to note.  Probably tomorrow afternoon if I can find an hour or so.

Brian  wpgjetfan

#22 WpgJetFan OFFLINE  

WpgJetFan
  • 18 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 08:31 PM

Hey guys and gals - used the guide discussed above to install the crank and line up the cam and the balance gears.

Used whiteout to mark all of the needed points and worked out good... however you really need to read the instructions and understand that the final position of the lower balance gear is relative to a mark - not expected to line up there to start - helical gears are a challenge to estimate final position.  No additional photos on the final install - bearing plate installed with a .020 and .010 gasket and the K341 crank accepted the K341 rod - and the K341 rod easily accepted the original K361 piston - went together smoothly.  Installed the base with side drain and used gasket goo on both sides of gasket - the K341 leaked like crazy with gasket only... 4 perimeter bolts don't promote good sealing... no goo on the bearing plate and no leak issues there that I know of.  Next will be the flywheel and upgraded to the 15 amp charging circuit of the K341 and the good flywheel off of the K341.  Left a pool of oil on top of the piston to soak the bore and loosen up the rings and get it ready for put together of the rest of the block.

No replies to any of my questions... a bit disappointing.

Brian  wpgjetfan

#23 WpgJetFan OFFLINE  

WpgJetFan
  • 18 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 06:42 PM

Got it into on piece roughly...

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

Still need to attach carb and figure out temporary ignition to battery and test run.

Fingers crossed but turns over nice and smooth.

More to follow!

Brian  wpgjetfan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k361, 220