#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,271 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted August 22, 2017 - 11:57 AM

It's going! Had enough of it.

Now for repowers.

I have a john deere 300, with a kohler k341 (probably going up for sale here eventually) that is giving me endless trouble. I've decided that I am going to repower the john deere, to make it more reliable for snow plowing and such.

Would an average guy be able to start a recoil type starting motor when hooked up to a hydrostatic transmission? I'm thinking about putting a harbour freight type 13 hp motor in it...

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,989 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted August 22, 2017 - 12:38 PM

Most of their larger engines come with recoil and electric start.  Recoil start will be tough to get done in the real cold conditions without a way to disconnect the hydro.  Even then it won't be a one pull start.   If you have a way to warm the engine and hydro up before starting a recoil might work.

• boyscout862 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#3 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,271 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 07:09 PM

Most of their larger engines come with recoil and electric start. Recoil start will be tough to get done in the real cold conditions without a way to disconnect the hydro. Even then it won't be a one pull start. If you have a way to warm the engine and hydro up before starting a recoil might work.

Would those stick on block heaters work?

Shop has no heat... just electrical.